Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Why is Kusari called Kusari?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I mean, I can understand why Bretonia is called Bretonia, its a play on the word Britain.

Liberty is well, a play on the ideals of America.

Rheinland is simply a (deliberate) mispelling of the german territory called Rhineland.

Hispania...not to sure, but I think thats also a play on the country Spain (and probably one of Columbus's ships too, but not sure)

Gallia is a play on the word Gaul, which is what France used to be called before it was called France.

But....Kusari? And the Molly's?

I tried to go find out what these words meant and all, but alas my research skills are fail.

So I come to you discovery, why are they called what they are called?
Kusari literally translates to Chain.

Perhaps Kusarians are like Tenacity?
You're reading too much into probably.

For example, I can think of a name for an Australian House, without relating it to anything other than it sounding Australia.

Bruce.

'I am Lord Shazza, king of House Bruce! Bring me beer and Shrimp on a barbie!'
First of all, all area names in Freelancer are "stolen" from the real world.
All system names, and literally all of them, with the exception of Tau-**, Sigma-** and such, but even those are just generic names created out of the greek alphabet.

For example, all the systems of Kusari are names of big Japanese islands, and Kusari meaning chain is probably a reference to Japan being a chain of islands.
Kusari - material from which the samurai armor were made. Or the part of samurai armor.

But perhaps its has more meanings than only this.
Eh, its a war chain used in many of their weapons to connect the grip to the actual part of the weapon that hurts someone
Well as Kusari literally means chain, first thing that came to my mind is the Emperor, and his royal family, as in his ancestors and his children...kinda like a family <strike>tree</strike> chain.

Seeing as the person with the real power in Japan/Kusari is the Shogun (Shogunate japan is a little confusing, from what I understood, the Shogun could be compared to a military prime minister and the emperor simply the head of state). So now my question is, whats the link between the shogun and Kusari/chains?
Shoguns and chains? Feudal japanese society worked almost in a heirachy - or more like, a chain of command.
And my investigation comes to an end,

thanks people:)
Pages: 1 2 3