Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Rules 5.4 and 6.8
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Since there is now also confusion regarding these two rules, I'm making this topic. In line with questions asked the last time I made one of these topics - it's not in big glowing letters yet, but it will be when the question and answer period is done.

Quote:5.4 Intentional ramming of capital ships (gunboat-class or larger) by fighters and other capital ships is not allowed in PvP combat, as well as in any other situations.
6.8 For purposes of the server rules, the following ship classes are defined:
a) All light fighters, heavy fighters, very heavy fighters, super heavy fighters, and bombers are considered fighters;
b) Trader ships with cargo hold less than 650 units are considered freighters;
c) Trader ships with cargo hold more than 650 units are considered transports;
d) Liners are named as such. Yachts are -not- Liners, they are transports
e) Gunboats, cruisers (including destroyers and battlecruisers), battleships (including dreadnoughts and juggernauts) are considered capital ships.

So the first rule is pretty self-explanatory - or is it? The key thing here is that ramming applies to warships ONLY. That's right - it doesn't apply to freighters, transports, or liners. Oops!

Now - we all know that UNINTENTIONAL ramming occurs all the time in fleet combat. That's basically a given about the time you get two battleships at ranges of less than 100, or a bomber comes in on a strafing run with his SNAC. Some ramming cannot be avoided - and we know that. But the key thing here is intentional ramming. A fighter comes flying in without even shooting at you and knocks you all over the sky - that's intentional. So don't do that, m'kay?

Second rule is ship classes. Again, should be pretty clear, but apparently isn't.

Is it small fry? Then for ship classification purposes, it's considered a fighter. The reason this is specified is that ID's state what you're allowed to fly.

For example, the recruit ID says that you can fly fighters and freighters. So you want to fly a super-heavy fighter as a recruit? Cool, go ahead and do so. You want to fly that Armored Transport as a Recruit? Whoops, hold size is 800, so nope. (As opposed to the Ragnar Armored Transport, which has a hold of 600.) That also means you can tool around with a BorderWorlds FREIGHTER...

Oh, did you want to rep yourself up as a recruit by going ahead and picking up that gunboat? Oops - sorry, that's NOT a freighter. You can't fly it.

Here's another things - Liners are now CALLED Liners, and are not considered to be Transports. So if your ID doesn't say you can fly a Liner - then you can't. Look at the Bounty Hunter ID's - Prison Liners only. Kushiro, for example, can fly the Kusari Liner ONLY - no one else's liner. Ageira can't fly ANY liners.

And of course, note that Yachts are considered Transports, not Liners.

Of course, remember that one addendum to the rules as well. At this time, freighters are NOT exempt from destruction by cruiser class or larger warships.

Additional discussion points on THESE two points are welcome here. Once we get things finalized, I'll re-edit this and pin it, like we did before with 5.2.

This is something I wasn't aware of myself untill a few days ago. And that was were do mining ships fit in. Since they have varying range of hold capacities.

If I'm not mistaken, mining ships are considered freighters/transports depending on the hold size.

The reason for my confusion was that I didn't see listed in the ID's the word mining ship/vessel etc.

This would be, in my opinion, something to add in writing.

Tanker
There is no such thing as the Kusari Cruise Liner anymore Agmen, the Kusari Luxury Transport is of course, a transport.
Quote:Kushiro, for example, can fly the Kusari Liner ONLY

I think this is a great example of where confusion comes from. The Kusari Liner being the Kusari Luxury Yacht (and not a Liner anymore) now.
See, that's exactly why I post these things asking for feedback and other examples from people that actually fly in those houses.

Any other good examples that you can come up with regarding Liners versus Transports would, of course, be welcome.

Just a quick, self-serving bump in case anyone else has other input that they want to give on this before I edit it and pin it. (And then start on the NEXT rule that needs explained - which is apparently going to be 3.2, since people can't quite get through their heads that we don't care how long you've been on here, we simply do NOT tolerate cursing.)

Question: Where does the Barge fall into play because if that thing is rammed your pretty much screwed.
Why can liners be intentionally rammed? They are the size of most of the small battleships, and anything pirating them is usually a crapton smaller.... Seriously, compare the osirus to the lux liner. it seems sort of... ya know. odd.
I agree the Barge and Liners should be protected by this rule.