Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: IDs does not exist inrp?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Quote:IDs are special rule-related items - every player has to mount one, and they identify you as a member of a certain group or faction. In-RP, IDs do NOT exist and if you act on information you gain by scanning a player and looking at their ID, you are metagaming which is not only heavily frowned upon but also goes against this server's rule codex.
I just found that on wiki.. And it confused me. I heard before that if a craft has mismatching ID and IFF than the ID is the one that matters. But it's not if it does not exist inrp.

Yesterday I met a Police IFFed ship in my home system (with an unlawful character). I CDed him to have some conversation, probably a shooting. He told me he's just a humble mercenary. I scaned the ID and yes, he was. So I let him go. Should I have just acted like with an officer trying to trick me? Why I do not feel that right?

I always thought that the ID is just a part of the iff what only could be scanned from a bit closer. If you can only acquire OOC input of it what's their reason? Is it possible that the author meant the information written on the ID?
I'm going to recommend that the wiki be changed, because that's not exactly right.

Remember, what you see here on the forums is correct and official.

EDIT: And just to clarify what I posted - the IFF shows who and/or what you're closely related to, whether it's lawful (police), unlawful (corsairs) or somewhere in between (freelancers). The ID is what matters and that MUST be scanned prior to initiating any PvP. You cannot simply go 'red=dead' based upon IFF. (If for no other reasons than many people have Guard IFF's that show up as red to lots of characters. You'd look pretty silly attacking a red LN Guard ID'd ship in New York just based on IFF.

Thanks, I feel better now. I did not break a rule. :)
Quote:if you act on information you gain by scanning a player and looking at their ID, you are metagaming which is not only heavily frowned upon but also goes against this server's rule codex
I think that is overly strong wording. The ID tells you some of what you can and cannot do according to the rules, and provides basic guidelines about how to roleplay. I don't know what happened to the server rule that required you to scan for an ID prior to attacking, but that was obviously to make sure you know who you are attacking, so you had to act on the info in the ID according to the server rules, and it was not metagaming to do so. (And Agmen, it's time you reread the server rules, because this is the third time in the past month you've incorrectly referenced them. This rule is no longer part of the official text.)

The way I have always looked at it is that the ID describes what you are and what you can and cannot do, but the IFF is a better description of who the character is, based on who they are working for or have the best relationship with. I don't consider any character to be authentically a part of any faction if they don't have it's IFF. A Zoner ID without a Zoner IFF is just a random civilian so far as I'm concerned, and same for Junkers, which is why The Lane Hackers will only not pirate Zoners and Junkers if they have both the ID and IFF. Similarly, a mercenary with a Corsair IFF tells you a lot about who the character is, while the Mercenary ID by itself basically tells you nothing. And it can go the other way also, a faction ID with a Freelancer IFF indicates someone who is acting outside of the normal hierarchy associated with their ID (for example, a corporate ID with Freelancer IFF).

Generally, I don't think ID's are more helpful than confusing, and I think I'd prefer a system that went strictly by IFFs with server rules to cover permissions and restrictions and had no IDs at all.

The ongoing clamor for an ID for every conceivable role is a symptom of the confusion and narrow, superficial thinking that increasingly complex IDs are creating.
To some points of Xoria's post i find myself agreeing to.
Like IFF being an important of the player's ship, and it's telling you alot about him. ID matters alot, but i think IFF should play more important role.

Merc ID Corsair has nothing to do in Liberty even tho Mercenary has no ZoI.
But I also feel that ID's are important because there are different roles. Smuggler, Vigilante, Researcher, Guard. ID's help alot there. Besides all rules (most of them) revolve around ID's and they're important for Rule enforcement.
I would like to know on which page this is so I can fix it.
I looked on the ID page and its not there.
Thanks.
I think it depends on the ID. Most IDs, it doesn't matter whether you treat the ID as in-RP or oorp. But IDs like Smuggler, Slaver and Vigilante can be ruined by meta-gaming them.
' Wrote:I think it depends on the ID. Most IDs, it doesn't matter whether you treat the ID as in-RP or oorp. But IDs like Smuggler, Slaver and Vigilante can be ruined by meta-gaming them.

It's like when the police pull you over today - with the computer networks we have available, they can run your plate and find out who is usually driving the car and their criminal history before they even step out of their car. The neural net, as I envision it, works in a similar way. Pull up behind someone, and you're 'seeing' that the guy has done some shady things in the past.

You can harass him for being constantly fined for certain things, but unless he has something on him at the moment you cannot persecute him.
' Wrote:I would like to know on which page this is so I can fix it.

Sure thing.

http://discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Equipment
Pages: 1 2