Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Planet Gran Canaria
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I notice that one of the main objections I see to the Zoners RP is the fact that they have an entire planet of their own. Now, I personally don't object to planetside Zoner colonies. In fact, there's no reason why the Zoners wouldn't colonize an planet if they found one, as they did with Gran Canaria.

I've been thinking about this for a while, though, and I think it wouldn't hurt to get the community's opinion on the subject. Now, nobody disputes that the Zoners found Gran Canaria first. Zoners colonized it, set up a spaceport, and now have quite a bit of stuff on the planet. That said, it's still mostly undeveloped. The Zoners kept it a secret for as long as they could, so they could get a foothold before somebody could take it from them as the Libertonians did with Erie.

Fast-forward to the present day, though. Zoners have the largest presence there (including operating the planetary spaceport), but now non-Zoners have established colonies there as well. The Corsairs and Bretonians spring to mind without thinking about it. I can't remember if anyone else does, but I thought I heard somewhere that the Mollys have a community there, too.

Why don't we build on that, and re-tag the planet to the neutral faction. Make it a place where anyone can establish a base or community, provided they follow a couple simple rules. Like not trying to take over the whole planet for themselves, or infringing on their neighbors in any way. Each commmunity would have it's own laws, with a minimal planetary government that makes sure everyone keeps their place.

This opens up a lot more RP possibilities than leaving it as a strictly Zoner planet, I think. Totally independent communities, such as religious enclaves, are one possibility. Smuggler's enclaves, are another. Fugatives from the houses would also love to go to ground in a place like this. You could establish something akin to the famous Swiss Banks there, in the absence of house regulation. Corporations would love to establish facilities in unregulated places like that, too. Imagine a Cryer research facility away from legal and moral restraints... Need I go on?
' Wrote:Why don't we build on that, and re-tag the planet to the neutral faction.
Because it still belongs to the Zoners? The colonies that are owned by others were allowed there only with Zoner approval. It's still Zoner property. Zoners giving up ownership of the planet would be suicide.. You'd have a huge influx of other factions coming in and abusing the place.

Besides, aren't Zoners neutral enough? As long as your presence doesn't cause trouble, anyone is allowed there. Why do we need it to be neutral? Also, if it's fully neutral, how does anyone enforce the 'no infighting,' or 'taking over' of the planet? Someone has to be in control. Zoners found and colonized it. Also, it remains largely uninhabited because a large portion of the Zoners there prefer not to pollute the world, but to preserve it's natural state.

All your suggestions can already be done in the pre-existing Zoner structure.. All that must be done is to ask for the approval to erect the enclave there.
As I recall, Pajamas was built without Zoner approval, or knowledge, and later brought into the Zoner framework as a tip of the hat to the Zoners, to avoid something as insane as the atrocity of a war against cityships.
' Wrote:You'd have a huge influx of other factions coming in and abusing the place.
Honestly? That's pretty much what I had in mind.

As for Government, I thought of a council made up by delegates chosen by the various communities there. Everybody on the planet wants their piece of it, so it would be in everyone's interest to stand behind the "no fighting" rule, and preventing others from taking full control of the planet. Everyone wants it, but nobody else wants anyone else to have full control of it, so it would kinda stabilize a little as a case of mutual self-interest.

Perhaps you're right, though, and it could be accomplished just as well by remaining Zoner, but a true (nearly) lawless planet holds some RP appeal to me. I thought others might find it intersting, too, hence this particular thread.
' Wrote:Honestly? That's pretty much what I had in mind.

As for Government, I thought of a council made up by delegates chosen by the various communities there. Everybody on the planet wants their piece of it, so it would be in everyone's interest to stand behind the "no fighting" rule, and preventing others from taking full control of the planet. Everyone wants it, but nobody else wants anyone else to have full control of it, so it would kinda stabilize a little as a case of mutual self-interest.

Perhaps you're right, though, and it could be accomplished just as well by remaining Zoner, but a true (nearly) lawless planet holds some RP appeal to me. I thought others might find it intersting, too, hence this particular thread.

Primus would be a better candidate.
' Wrote:Perhaps you're right, though, and it could be accomplished just as well by remaining Zoner, but a true (nearly) lawless planet holds some RP appeal to me. I thought others might find it intersting, too, hence this particular thread.
That's kind of what Barrier Gate is.. I'm sure someone could mod a new planet in somewhere that is habitable and do this from scratch. I don't like the idea of throwing away all the lore/RP of GC and taking it in a radical direction. If you want to go through with this, start a new planet for it.
I think Morgan's trying to make the point that planets are very, very large, and the zoner population not so large. Plenty of space for everyone, and little or no reason for the Zoners to want to govern all of it (government is expensive. it involves things like, military, education, judicion, law enforcement...), while the point Dab's trying to make is that the zoners can claim the land, demand a renter's fee from anyone on the ground, and since they've the advantage of an orbital platform, and spaceships, bombard anyone dumb enough to 'unlawfully' squat.

Inside this framework, I see no reason for any sort of legitimate Zoner government to extend over the planet, only a form of landlording. (and why wouldn't they want their planet, largely empty space, to become a source of revenue?) The question, of course, is what zoner government gets the revenue...

Historically, that's been the Shizl, and then the TAZ, but...do they own GC?
An interesting way to approach this is to talk to all the Zoner powerbase, the independent fleet, and see why they defend it, if they're not getting a cut...good way to take the lore into an interesting direction.
' Wrote:Historically, that's been the Shizl, and then the TAZ, but...do they own GC?
Historically CoZ. SHIZL wasn't ever involved in money-related issues.
' Wrote:Historically CoZ. SHIZL wasn't ever involved in money-related issues.

Right, right. Thankee.

Still, though, what did the money get used for? How did it help the average zoner (all of whom may have been delegates, but I assume the money wasn't paid back as dividends...)

I'm just saying its a possible point of contention between the council and the ships which enforce its will. (and when I payed it, I payed straight into the flax-heap)
' Wrote:That's kind of what Barrier Gate is.. I'm sure someone could mod a new planet in somewhere that is habitable and do this from scratch. I don't like the idea of throwing away all the lore/RP of GC and taking it in a radical direction. If you want to go through with this, start a new planet for it.

Word. Every Zoner faction and almost every active indie Zoner RP's GC as a Zoner homeworld type place. It is a strong part of our RP.
Pages: 1 2