Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Starter System Shuffle Idea
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey folks, we tried to move new players away from New York with the construction of the new system of Pennsylvania right? That was a step in a right direction, but it didn't solve the problem at all. The main reason is that its still in close proximity of New York.

Therefore, I propose the following:
Three new 'starter systems' in three different locations in close proximity of different Houses. These can also be Zoner/House forces systems where the player can ease their way into the local environment, and provide a more of a boost to the local population, rather than the majority going to Liberty.

Liberty is the child pen, the good the bad and the ugly always somehow takes place there. Why? Population. There are loads of people, new and old coming and going from this House. The starter locations in a lot of servers are still here.

This idea will create new bases and systems that are a low level within range of the local House authority where they can learn and trade with the local players.

With this, there can be a decent reason to rebalance NPC's, open new trade routes, and the biggest bonus, get more new players away from Liberty to help aid the ranks in Bretonia, Kusari, and Rheinland. They need people too, they're RP is a lot better as a story over the lovable corrupted Liberty House.

Should three new systems be built, hopefully there will be a way for the FLHook monkeys to set a server code to let players start in those places, changing over to another once every so often, then back to Pennsylvania.

Thoughts?
I think the /restart command reduces the need for more starter systems somewhat. Not that it's a bad idea mind you, but a bigger variety of /restart options sounds a touch easier than three new systems.

I see what you mean though (I think) in terms of these systems giving new players low-level experience in these areas, as Rheinland, Kusari and Bretonia can be meaner places to try and make a start.
I've always supported this idea. A hub system of some sorts, at the beginning to point players in the right direction.
True, the locals are meaner than Liberty in terms of NPC's, but the trade off is that the local players can try to help, or open decent trade routes within the new systems to the local Houses to let them profit a bit quickly without being power trading routes.

' Wrote:I've always supported this idea. A hub system of some sorts, at the beginning to point players in the right direction.

This isn't meant to be a 'hub' system of sorts, but three new systems closer to the other Houses to start people off in them easier and faster. Since people seem to speed around Liberty more.

Another bonus I pray is that it will give The Angels a change of scenery by going to other places rather than wait around near Penn or NY.
Forgive the bump, but I want opinions :$
Perhaps have /restart and a new system where Penny is Penny, but making a new char will chose one of the /restart locations randomly, at least the four houses.
How about an introductory message for new players.. that includes the usage of the /restart command, but also other things.
' Wrote:How about an introductory message for new players.. that includes the usage of the /restart command, but also other things.

pretty sure we allready got that......... and it gets ignored.

Fletcher Ive been pushing for this idea for a while adn I agree.

Either have random starting locations or a no hole/gate starting system were you HAVE to use /restart to get out.
' Wrote:How about an introductory message for new players.. that includes the usage of the /restart command, but also other things.
An introductory message wouldnt be bad, but I think a getting started commodity might be just as good if not better. Perhaps an introductory message pointing out the starting commods, something like: "Check your cargo hold for important information about this mod and server and how to best get started."

As for the main topic here, multiple starting systems, I think Pennsylvania and the way things done currently is preferable for several reasons.
  1. It concentrates all of the new players, especially those that need help, in one place, this has the following effects:
    1. It gives one set of players and factions a great deal of experience in dealing with them and hopefully makes them more qualified to do so.
    2. It makes it so players who want to hire other new players know exactly where to go to do so and will be likely to find someone there, giving them encouragement to continue helping new players and making sure new players have plenty of opportunities.
    3. It does encourage new players to play in Liberty more, but, as a recent thread discussed, they have many other reasons that would probably draw them there anyway, the greatest of all is that it is the most familiar area to any new player that has played any amount of SP.
  2. It allows new players to have more than just one system that they can roam around in and not be constantly afraid of being killed by NPC's. Not getting blown up in a starter ship when you dont have extra money is not the easiest thing in the non-liberty regions, especially if you are creating a trader. The cheapest freighter in Bretonia is the Clydesdale for 1.6 mill. It would take a while to get to this amount so in addition to the three new systems there would need to be three new low level freighters, or a generic one that could be in all three.
  3. On a related note, balancing the ship progression across every region of Sirius would be rather difficult and may have other repercussions.
  4. I believe the server / playerbase just isnt large enough to support this. I mean look at what happened when the Gallic edge worlds were opened up, they're pretty empty. Now this may change once the core worlds are released but somehow I just dont think so. If this were implemented and if players did start distributing themselves more evenly everyplace might feel relatively empty. Right now every player know you can go to liberty if you want some guaranteed player interaction. If that wasnt the case I am not sure what would happen, it does seem like it could be for the worse.
Now, a few other points:

What about a fourth starter system, Gallia's?

The Nexus/OORP starter system idea: Personally, I think it is a decent idea but Igiss has stated before he will not put something like this in Disco, and from an immersion point of view, I can understand how he feels.
Thing is you need money for the /restart command if I remember right, and newbies don't have that kind of money on hand. Also, tell me how many new players actually pay attention to automated messages? Not all of them read the rules even though we say the should.

But interacting with them does help counter that, on occasion.
Pages: 1 2