Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Idea Requiring Feedback!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all, I am creating this topic as a feedback topic for a Roleplay Idea I had which Im basing fully around Blackbeard 'Edward Teach' implementing into the Freelancer Universe and Discovery Community adjusting it and amending it to fit correctly. Many of you might perceive it as a 'Lolwutters' way of gaining a special RP and do as he wishes killing all, but I wish to Roleplay the role of Blackbeard and the 'Queen Anne's Revenge' almost identically as was done in the 17th century during the Golden Age of Piracy. I wish to gather more positive feedback and critical aiding than Negative 'That Will Never Work Noob' feedback. This is not my way of getting what I want to go on 'raeg' and kill everyone, but a method of providing better entertainment for myself and the community. I am not very Forum Active at the moment but I believe I should not be greatly judged by just that.

Diverting from that, here is the Roleplay:

I wish to roleplay Blackbeard, Edward Teach. He will begin as an ordinary Bretonian Armed Forces crew member upon a Battleship (Which I will hopefully forum roleplay it so it is clear what happened). The Bretonian Battleship Leader gives Edward Teach A Bretonian Gunboat(At Start) as his own flagship to form his crew, during an uprising Teach is elected the new captain of the crews of his current and previous crews. He is against the Bretonian Armed Forces due to the conflict and uprising and uses his ship to pirate the Bretonia sector, and Sirius wide. The Roleplay is meant to develop to their increasing Piracy eventually gaining a Gallic(Historically French) Slave Liner which the crew turn into a battleship which they name; 'The Queen Anne's Revenge', this becomes Teach's new flagship and he spreads his infamy in it throughout all of the universe, aiming to gain the most wealth possible for himself and his crew of cutthroats, criminals etc.(Like the Buccanneers). His piracy leads him to become hostile to everyone, he is stimulated by the need for wealth, respect and power and fuels his crews morale from fear. He is not the infamous killer many perceive him as, but ruthless and cold-blooded, even killing his second in commands and first mates to restore order and show what extent he will go to to keep order, punishments and tests are what he puts his crew through to see if they are worthy. Blackbeard will be infamous, terrorising and will only have a few allies, the 'Pirate Lords' he chooss(implemented from Pirates of the Caribbean) handing out a bit of the 'Nine Pieces of Eight' to those he feels worthy and the top pirates lords. This might be the only way 'my character' might have alliances and unity to other players or factions ingame. This is a briefing less detailed but gives you, the reader, a more clear view on what I am aiming for.

The roleplay will be slightly altered and implemented from Blackbeard as he was in history therefore alot of the roleplay I might post on the forums would be very similar to what you could find in a novel or a wiki altered to what is required. However, the roleplay is more ingame based than forum as Keeper roleplay might for the same reason that on the forums it might seem too similar to the real already written thing and I dont want to have to Copy/Paste basically even though I could develop.

Many of you, including the Admin Team will see this is a NO straightaway, due to the Battleship Pirating, However I can assure you it will not be abused and used properly, I understand you cannot just trust people with things like that and it will be very hard to find and ID etc. for the roleplay I am looking for. I am not going to go around 'pvpwhoring' and being a Lousy Roleplayer. I think I am repeating myself right about now.... Hehe...

The ships during my whole roleplay are meant to be, a Bretonian Armed Forces Fighter, later then a Bretonian Gunboat starting as Bretonian Armed Forces affiliated, but later with Roleplay hopefully untagged/freelancer affiliated with a Pirate ID. Later change it finally either to a Bretonian Battleship or a Redemption Council Battleship through roleplay if I can achieve such a level. I can already picture this being a No simply because of it structure and absurd roleplaying that might go against the rules. Reading this, might give you all a better understanding why ingame RP is what it is mainly based around and why it would reach the level of a battleship to 'pirate' or 'terrorize', as I like the feeling of giving golden roleplay and entering a system where everyone will go on alert and I can roleplay and when necessary fight fairly, all against me, how the roleplay should be.

Here are the links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Anne%27s_Revenge
http://www.biographybase.com/biography/Blackbeard.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard

I am going to Roleplay it one way or another but hope that this can help people perceive it better, I might not be able to take it to its 'FULL' potential and excel in roleplay if it cannot be done as I wish it to, a captain of such power and fear must need a vessel with the firepower to back it up, especially if hes taking on the Universe.

Feel Free to Comment, Hopefully with Understanding and Positive, but I will always get Negative posts, because I understand this is a very hard thing to do Hehe.
I really have one problem upon reviewing this (I know you talked to me about it before and all, but I just caught onto this). Why lust after wealth if there's nowhere to spend it, if you only have those few friends? I find that one bit maybe a bit infeasible, you should align yourself with at least some unlawful group(s). Sure the ideological ones may not like you, but groups like the Rogues and Corsairs would just love you.
Mhm, Thats one thing I got was thinking about when I thought of Implementing the 'Nine Pieces of Eight', symbols of alliegance and unity towards other Pirate Lords or Factions perhaps to atleast have something. I understand what you mean.
That sounds a bit like what we're doing with the Bretonian Buccaneers. Take a look through the threads linked in my sig, to see what we're doing.

We'd be glad to have you aboard, since your idea would fit rather well with our faction. Trust me, we're an easy-going bunch, and piracy is a lot more fun in a group than it is alone.

EDIT:
We were just discussing your idea in the Buccaneer Skype chat. If you still intend to go it alone, we may still have some helpful advice for you. If memory serves me correctly, the real Queen Anne's Revenge was a converted Slave ship. Might I suggest a SRP request for a Slave Liner, rather than a Battleship? That would be better for three reasons. For one, you're sticking closer to your historical roots with that ship. For another, in-RP, it's a lot easier to maintain a Liner on your own, than it would to maintain a Battleship. Those are expensive in terms of upkeep. Finally, you'd have a far easier time getting your SRP request approved for a SLiner than you would a Battleship of any kind.
I fully understand , Thanks for the offers, the going it alone is just part of the Roleplay as was done in History, it was the Queen Annes Revenge, indeed a slave ship, Slave Liner, but was converted into a Battleship (French Vessels, which is why I suggested the Redemption) Indeed it fits well with the Buccaneers but I wanted to take it more Siriuswide than Bretonia Based, although if I went through with it im sure we can have an agreement and some great roleplay ingame. Though indeed I have considered a Sliner as a flagship, but I believe its sluggish aspect/hull aswell as lack of firepower might bring its fearsome name down.

Bump: I got a message there is already a Blackbeard ingame and might be a Queen Annes Revenge, but I can change that and use different names without a problem sticking to the same roleplay.
I might use the name of the captain as: Captain William Bones (Billy Bones), fictional character from Treasure Island or Captain Flint (Captain J.Flint) also from the same, but obviously following the Roleplay of Blackbard, ship name etc. remains the same though unless changed due to it already being used.
I liked the idea. First of all, it distincts CLEARLY from lolwutism by a target RP and a background and the applier seem to be fitting to the role. I have seen MUUUUCCCHHH worse PVP whorage and pirating from players, even RP ones, that this application, even if there are other options, is a gold.

I already have several RP "options" to interract with this character throughout the game in means of RP.

I wish half of disco could be creative like this, even though the idea is not original, it encourages.

I also understand the reason of being a sole survivor rather than joining the Buccaneers. I don't know if it will be approved but as a RP loving player, I approve this and willing to see the in game applications. If they turn out to be good without much bashing from players (expect to be reported several times even though you have a spec ID cause people usually won't rp at first but rule lawyer or simply report to complete the trade whorage), then this idea can be much fun. I can already see contract work RP and double crossing for better sums etc. If people do get too much "tense" of your capital ship piracy, you can give away the money you ve pirated OORPly to a cause like a new faction or to new players in Disco etc.

Thanks for the good feedback Ophidian, need people who can see it from my perspective also haha, as it mainly benefits me but hey.

On the topic of 'originality' you may come to find that alot of Discovery Universe's factions and stories are not as 'original' as they may seem if you look into where they are developed from, nonetheless the RP is what gives them the unique-ness lets call it.

Anyways, away from that I thank you Ophidian:D
This seems like a sound idea to me.

I think you underestimate it when you assume people will immediately say now because you aim to pirate with a BS. A big difference between this idea and others that have gotten such strong denials is that you aren't actually hopping into a battleship; you are looking to develop the role-play in the direction of --and hopefully one day into -- a battleship. I think this is a reasonable and downright admiral approach. I might even call it humble.

If you focus on Bretonian space, I think this could turn into a fantastic catalyst for lawful activity in the area. This is really something that we can use everywhere outside Liberty, so I'd say that is a definite plus.

My first impression of this reminded me of the time a DSE convoy was pirated by a Buccaneer a few months back; he was flying a Gunboat and it felt very authentic, without apparently having to try very hard.

If you can model a traditional pirate RP around the Bretonian capital ship line, I think we'll have another golden storyline weaving through our mod.

I'd say:

1. Listen to the Buccaneers, their support and advice can only help.

2. Take it slow. Don't develop your story too quickly, spend at the very least a few days on each logical step and be sure to make the progressions in view of a bit of an audience. It may very well spoil and all go to waste if you rush it.
Aye, That is good advice Eyvind indeed. I will take it easy on the progression, main reason I want to be sirius wide and not - bretonia based is salazaar and the jokes operate there, already some tyrant overlords abouts the area haha. Therefore I can take it anywhere be more realistic with its historical base too... I will start it small and develop indeed.

Visualize a Battleship, lets say a Bretonian BS, Redemption or Valor emerging out a nebula cloud, other factions watching it emerge from the depths within the cloud, and a Battleship fighting some fighters, bombers and a gunboat or two, the system factions defense. Hehe, It sounds more realistic in my whole opinion pirating wise than a few fighters coming through.

Anyhow I wil take the Buccaneers advice and help, and thanks for the good Feedback.:)Afterall, am not planning on abusing the power of anything I can be given or 'lolwut' abouts killing all or 'pvpwhoring', will RP it adequately and develop it into something great;)Indeed, I am one day hoping to develop into a Battleship, with good feedback, see what the Top guys think etc. meaning admins and dev team or whatnot, then I can see if I can drive it into that:)
Pages: 1 2