Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New to this 'universe'
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hiya peeps! I reinstalled FL about 5 weeks ago and was about to do another run in singleplayer, when I stumbled upon Discovery 4.85. My reaction in short: WOHOOO!!

I was told to read the rules before heading out, and so I did. I suck in finding my way around in forums though: :wacko:(And no.. it's not because I'm too lazy.. I've spent hours reading threads in order to find explainations to some of the questions I have, but with without success so far..)

1. Tried to find info about the point of Guard systems and why I'm not 'allowed' to go there. Tried to ask people about it but they allways refer to the forums.. so I've been starting to run around in circles here..

2. I've failed to locate a list of systems that are Guard systems.. (If there isn't such a list, then a veteran of this game could perhaps be so kind and make one for newcomers such as me?)

3. I was a spectator of a battle that took place in New York system the other day between a big ship (think it was a Ransaur ship with a Hacker ID) and the Lib. Police/Navy. The 'pirates' won the fight and New York became a playground to them for a while. The battle that took place there was amazing but I was a tad confused at the same time. My question is: Was that pirate really allowed, according to server rules, to enter New York and fight the 'authorities' there? I mean, in order to fly a ship of that size that fella must have owned a Guard ID (and maybe he did.. cant remember) and the way I've understand the rules that pirate is only allowed to 'operate' in his own system.. is he not?

4. 'A pirates zone of influence'? Is that only in systems where his faction has a station, or can he venture/operate/pirate in house space without breaking any rules?

Those are my main questions atm. I would be very grateful if someone could present links to pages that explains this in plain english (English isnt my first language), or explains in his own words.

Thx in advance
Welcome to the Disco Forums

Quote:1. Tried to find info about the point of Guard systems and why I'm not 'allowed' to go there. Tried to ask people about it but they allways refer to the forums.. so I've been starting to run around in circles here..

Guard systems are pretty much the Home system of its factions owner, The reason why people are saying
your not allowed to go there, is because they are usually 'Top-Secret' and nobody knows about them.
They usually contain that factions best equipment, ships, etc.

Quote:2. I've failed to locate a list of systems that are Guard systems.. (If there isn't such a list, then a veteran of this game could perhaps be so kind and make one for newcomers such as me?)

http://www.discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php?...e=Guard_Systems

Disco has its own wiki, full of useful information regarding anything you can think of that relates to the mod.

Quote:3. I was a spectator of a battle that took place in New York system the other day between a big ship (think it was a Ransaur ship with a Hacker ID) and the Lib. Police/Navy. The 'pirates' won the fight and New York became a playground to them for a while. The battle that took place there was amazing but I was a tad confused at the same time. My question is: Was that pirate really allowed, according to server rules, to enter New York and fight the 'authorities' there? I mean, in order to fly a ship of that size that fella must have owned a Guard ID (and maybe he did.. cant remember) and the way I've understand the rules that pirate is only allowed to 'operate' in his own system.. is he not?

A Ranseur with a Lane Hacker ID.. Sounds like you encountered a Hellfire Legion ship. To your question,
A faction like the Hellfire Legion has specific roleplay that would be 'different' to normal 'pirates', Just like
other player factions would have different reasons to be in different places.
To your other statement, A pirate can only operate in their 'zone of influence'.

Quote:4. 'A pirates zone of influence'? Is that only in systems where his faction has a station, or can he venture into house space without breaking any rules?
Related to above, From my teachings, Zone of Influence is the areas of which your faction's NPC's
roam about. (I honestly dont know what zone of influence is, so /facepalm for me)

Note: My answers are not 100% correct, Honestly i still am learning the game, So hopefully somebody else
or even an admin can clarify things for you.
' Wrote:http://www.discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php?...e=Guard_Systems

Disco has its own wiki, full of useful information regarding anything you can think of that relates to the mod.

Welcome to Discovery!

Exorius answered the questions pretty well. Thing is... the wiki is a bit outdated (e.g. Tau-44 is not on that list and it's the Guard system of the Colonials)

PS. Check the factions in my signature and join them. That's an order, recruit!:P
A Zone of Influence is exactly as it says on the tin: A faction may only operate within their zone of influence. Outside of this zone, their presence is illegal within the realm of role-play. A ZOI is generally a group of systems, and a faction usually has their own jpeg map of the systems they are allowed to operate in, or they just have a list of systems included in their Faction Status post. For example, here is the ZOI of the Liberty Security Force: http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj152/L...X9/lsf/map5.png

As you can see, we at the LSF get all the fun. Sooo many systems.

As for pirates, they operate only within their Zone of Influence. Hackers and Xenos primarily stick to Liberty and the neutral systems around it. Outcasts are pretty much everywhere in Sirius, though they hold political power specifically in the Omicrons and Sigma 60. So, you will often see pirates and criminals flying around causing trouble in systems like New York because it's within their ZOI. You would not, however, expect to find pirates or criminals within Virginia, the Guard system of the Liberty Navy. Does this help you make sense of things?

And it's very good of you to ask questions. Many newbies just lol around until they get themselves in serious trouble, and then have things explained to them the hard way. Though, if you don't shoot first and ask questions later, most people will answer your questions in space without giving you trouble. A tip: If you see [Angels] faction in space, they are there specifically to answer questions and help new players find their way in the world of Sirius. A very good ensemble of people, they are.
' Wrote:1. Tried to find info about the point of Guard systems and why I'm not 'allowed' to go there. Tried to ask people about it but they allways refer to the forums.. so I've been starting to run around in circles here..

2. I've failed to locate a list of systems that are Guard systems.. (If there isn't such a list, then a veteran of this game could perhaps be so kind and make one for newcomers such as me?)

3. I was a spectator of a battle that took place in New York system the other day between a big ship (think it was a Ransaur ship with a Hacker ID) and the Lib. Police/Navy. The 'pirates' won the fight and New York became a playground to them for a while. The battle that took place there was amazing but I was a tad confused at the same time. My question is: Was that pirate really allowed, according to server rules, to enter New York and fight the 'authorities' there? I mean, in order to fly a ship of that size that fella must have owned a Guard ID (and maybe he did.. cant remember) and the way I've understand the rules that pirate is only allowed to 'operate' in his own system.. is he not?

4. 'A pirates zone of influence'? Is that only in systems where his faction has a station, or can he venture/operate/pirate in house space without breaking any rules?
Those are my main questions atm. I would be very grateful if someone could present links to pages that explains this in plain english (English isnt my first language), or explains in his own words.

Thx in advance

to 1. Guard Systems, see them as some kind of Military area, a normal citizen isnt allowed to travel around in there or?

2. The Mod is called "Discovery" A little help should be this side.

3.He can move out to do attacks on its enemy, in that case Liberty, but a Battleship for such a thing may be a bit too much. He is allowed to do it, but he shouldnt do it...

4.That depends on the Pirate, if its a Kusari Pirate, like a Blood Dragon he shouldnt leave Kusari or its direct surounding, a Bretonian shouldnt leave Bretonia or its surounding, only exceptions for this are the Outcasts and the Corsairs, as they got a big ZOI, covering nearly the whole Sirius Sector.

Hope that helps you a bit, HAVE FUN! :yahoo:
Welcome to the verse mate :D

The guys have explained pretty well all your questions already. Any ( Angel ) tagged player ingame will be more than happy to help as well if you have any more questions.Or, if you see me about, dont hesitate to ask me as well. Names are in my sig

All the best.
Welcome. It seams everything has been covered but I will add this:

' Wrote:Exorius answered the questions pretty well. Thing is... the wiki is a bit outdated (e.g. Tau-44 is not on that list and it's the Guard system of the Colonials)
The wiki is updated by volunteer players. We do what we can in the time we have. Anyone is free to add to the wiki, including members of the Colonial Remnant.

In the mean time though I believe the map located here points out most of the guard systems.
Welcome to Disco!:yahoo:

Everything I would've said has already been said...
' Wrote:In the mean time though I believe the map located here points out most of the guard systems.

Or it's for 4.84.... well, umm, I will try to update the wiki anyway, at least so all the systems are listed even if their owners are not.

Edit: All done.
What about the ZOI of the Corsairs, where can they pirate? i know that they cannot enter liberty... i want to know where can i pirate as a corsair
their zone of influence:lol: ths

im a newbee too :crazy: ahahah...

Pages: 1 2