Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Freelancer Discovery - Possible on a USB?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to put Freelancer with Discovery Mod onto a USB so I can play it directly off of there.

This is so I can bring it wherever I want, and if I find a computer, I can easily play without worrying to install it.

Has anyone tried to do so? If so, did it work?

If this does not work, is it possible to just install normal Freelancer?

Thanks in advance.
Not possible - i think.

Why? Because I think that the game itself saves directly to C:/ drive or D:/ drive. Although you can try, but do it on another computer. See if you can put the installation on a USB- i highly doubt it.
A USB is simply a portable drive, just like the C or D one.
However there may be issues with the registry etc.

Give it a go and find out is the simple answer.
You could probably fix the registry issues you would come across with a couple of .bat files and somewhere on your USB drive that it can write to - to store the registry data.
Just give it a go and see what happens:P
I've run FL from an external before, as well as running FL from multiple Windows partitions with only one local installation.

It should be simple as installation to portable drive, installation of mod, and then test on second installation.
' Wrote:A USB is simply a portable drive, just like the C or D one.
However there may be issues with the registry etc.

Give it a go and find out is the simple answer.
Well, I still think it should not be a problem with the registery if used on only one computer, but yes, if you want to have a "mobile" freelancer, you might have problems with the registery.
I play it from my external HD after copying it from the main hard drive. No problems whatsoever and no need to edit the registry, I just made a new shortcut. I don't see where a USB drive would be any different.

I haven't had it on there *long*, but I've played a few times since so I know it works...
' Wrote:I play it from my external HD after copying it from the main hard drive.
Yes, so you did install it to to that computer and operating system, thus installed it into the registry. If you were to plug it into somebody elses, pretty sure it wouldn't work.

Though as Unselie says, with a .bat it may be possible, but I wouldn't be knowledgeable about such things. An intriguing concept however.
' Wrote:Yes, so you did install it to to that computer and operating system, thus installed it into the registry. If you were to plug it into somebody elses, pretty sure it wouldn't work.
True, hadn't thought about the other registry details.

Ignore me then. *returns to topics he's not clueless about*
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5