Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cross-hair colour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I'm not even sure where to put this.

How would I go about changing the colour of the currently-red cross-hair? I, uh, have colour blindness, and in a bluish nebula or on a greyish ship there's no way I can see it, let alone match my guns with that little red cross before my target.
Hm... I know a few people who use a black/grey version of the UI Hud instead of the default blue, but I still think it's against server rules to change any part of the game or mod, including UI. With a valid medical reason like that though, perhaps they wouldnt mind.

Unfortunately I cant help you on the specifics, I havent quite figured out how to alter the UI yet.
Hey, if altering the HUD truly violates the server rules, I can tough it out and be an in-character coward.:)

But you know, I'd rather have at least a semblance of a fighting chance.
' Wrote:Hey, if altering the HUD truly violates the server rules, I can tough it out and be an in-character coward.:)

But you know, I'd rather have at least a semblance of a fighting chance.

Nah, it should be only fair that you get a chance too.
Altering the HUD for greater FOV etc is against server rules.

Altering the predictor indicator sight colour is not.

See the following thread for information on how to do it : http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=46673&hl=

A & L Guy
Awesome. Can't edit the predictor cross, which is the main problem, but it's something. Now I can, uh, miss only 60% of the time.:)
Many thanks.
Predictor cross is always in the vicinity of where you'd think you should be shooting once you get good at shooting. I wish we had the source code so we could do things like remove the predictor cross function period as a setting to improve manual aim & leading.
' Wrote:Predictor cross is always in the vicinity of where you'd think you should be shooting once you get good at shooting. I wish we had the source code so we could do things like remove the predictor cross function period as a setting to improve manual aim & leading.
Fly without the HUD then. Add -nohud to your freelancer shortcut.

A & L Guy
Thanks for the advice! I have the same problem with red and green colors as Ed has.

I have the biggest problems to see the crosshairs in yellow Nebula or with greenish, reddish, brownish backgrounds where the lightness of the crosshairs match the background.

I have no problems with blue and yellow, but the color red does not draw my attention at all. Imagine it being a dark brown of the same lightness, that's how it works for me: I loose it a lot in combat.

With practise I got used to shooting without having to look at it, but there are limits: the aiming cross is very important if you joust an opponent who strafes around the clock. Especially if you want to hit him with slow guns (600 speed or Minirazor)

The aiming cross is also important when it comes to shooting a SNAC over a longer distance.

What helped me a lot is switching off all the colorful graphics like the background and reducing the graphics-setting of the system.

This way I don't get distracted from my crosshairs by the background.

It doesn't work in nebula of course.

What would help me the most would be changing the hostile-target default color to yellow (the comms-color, transmitting ships could be red then), but that wouldn't help with neutral or even green targets.

The best thing to help out with this problem is practise. I am sure there are some people who would agree that I can hit my target quite allright in the meantime.