Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: A Proposal on "House" Guns and "House-Civilian" Guns
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As of late, there had been some discussion as to just what technology counts as House Military/Police technology and what counts as House Civilian technology. In the case of ships, we're often able to come up with an answer pretty quickly and without too much hassle. But when it comes to weapons, people seem to have different ideas on the matter. For example, people have opposing views on whether Magma Hammers are Liberty Navy/LPI tech, or if they're Liberty civilian tech.

I think there needs to be a clear definition of just what is and what isn't "civilian" technology. But instead of simply saying "House guns are considered civilian" or "House guns are not considered civilian", I have a proposal: All house guns Class 7 and under are civilian, all house guns Class 8 and up are Military/Police.

I think this could throw an interesting twist into the general idea of "X weapon line belongs to X faction", and would open more possibilities to civilians, without giving them the full firepower of a military-grade fighter. It also makes sense because, generally, as military technology gets outdated and replaced, it becomes available to the common people, whereas the newest and most effective equipment stays with the military.

Thoughts?
I have always thought that high class weapons are military due to common sense.

Adding this rule will make it clear so therefore I approve.
Well, it dose virtually nothing other than clear up who owns what, so why not?
Who exactly uses class 7 guns, other than the Phantoms?

Do tell.

You might as well just say "house civilian doesn't include guns" (other than Gallia).
EXactly no one, hence my comment on "all it does is classify the guns"
Sirius wide civilian exists for a reason. House guns are military.

A borderworlds gun line might not be a bad idea, and I'd be willing to do fx for it.
' Wrote:Who exactly uses class 7 guns, other than the Phantoms?
Brakelatabasaasta uses four Class 5 Magma Hammer Mk IIIs. Other people like myself who like to use under-powered ships also have to use Class 7 and lower.

' Wrote:Sirius wide civilian exists for a reason. House guns are military.
But it still makes sense to me that some civilians would be able to use low-grade "military" tech for their ships. After all, why does your Starflea start out with Justice Mk Is instead of civilian Starbeams?

EDIT: Obligatory mention about my 666th post...
Lets be realistic here: Spaceship guns aren't military only goods. Capitalships are military only goods, but every ship in space is well armed. Why? Because they're set upon by pirates and murderers in the deeps of space. This isn't the interstate highway system we're talking about, its the vasty deeps, with much more in common with the seas of the fifteenth century than anything you can describe as modern because, quite simply, ships aren't fast enough to cover enough space to enforce the laws everywhere...and communications aren't instant, either. By the time someone receives a call for help from across a system, the assault has likely ended.

If you want to travel safely, you pick up modern and dangerous weaponry. Furthermore, its likely that the construction companies produce guns. Many of the pirates wield hacked versions of some form of base weapon: "Rogue lazers do more damage, but cost more energy" and so forth, but the base doesn't exist. If the pirates have top of the line (class 9) weapons, then there needs to be a top of the line base for them to hack. Of course, that'll require a whole new set of guns...a project that I'm working on.

My position is this: All ships and weapons are produced by firms, for a profit, or at least they should be. Of course, we've run the opposite way with disco, with each fighting faction building its own shipline, and leaving the non faction aligned blokes, and the corporations which are supposed to be building and selling ships (for a profit, which suggests on the open market) such as DSE, Daumann, BMM, Samura, and Kishiro, quite out each of whom should be producing at least as many ships as the Zoners, all of them quite out of their intended roles.

Factionlancer prevails over freelancer, balance and realism loose out, and both the indies, and corporate factions are shafted. Wonderful.