Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Newb has a Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi all,

I'm brand new to Freelancer, have played it for maybe half an hour so far. I've read in many places that Discovery is the "best mod evar!" so I find myself posting my general Freelancer question on these boards...

Is v1.1 found on microsoft's site the last official patch/version of Freelancer? I googled the topic and kept seeing references to version 1.4 etc but they didn't look to be official.

Second question (so I lied!): I'm patched to 1.1 right now, is that OK for installing the Discovery mod or do I need a newer patch or go back to 1.0 even?

Thanks for any info and apologies if these have been asked 100 times, but Search didn't turn up an answer for me.
I think you should be ok m8, just download mod manager and disco and you should be fine.

Welcome to disco and freelancer;)
sso is a good way to start if you wanna do a lot of shooting starting out, RepEx is good if you want to make loads of money starting out by trading.
Woah, woah, woah. Moving a little fast, aren't we? If he's played for half an hour, he's not ready to handle even Discovery Singleplayer; You need to move through the unmodded SP camaign, then work your way up to Level 38 in SP. THEN come onto Discovery once you've learned the Control Interface and figured out how to dogfight. Besides that, Welcome to Discovery!
Calm down Equinox, all he needs is someone to show him the ropes.
I agree with Epyon - you at least have to finish the unmodded Single Player to at least understand the rules of Disco (not even mentioning gaining a little flying experience...)

When that's done, do what Equinox said and... Welcome.:D

I will, no doubt, play through the single player campaign before I get too involved in Discovery.

I was under the impression that the Discovery mod had some effect on the original single player game; i.e. it would not change the story but would make more ships and outfits available to me. Is this not the case? Would I need to switch to single open to see any Discovery bits?
' Wrote:I will, no doubt, play through the single player campaign before I get too involved in Discovery.

I was under the impression that the Discovery mod had some effect on the original single player game; i.e. it would not change the story but would make more ships and outfits available to me. Is this not the case? Would I need to switch to single open to see any Discovery bits?

No. It does, however, make SP much, much harder. You should finish unmodded SP before even trying Discovery SP.
Aye, try finishing the unmodded version first.
* psst, or use heavy figther uber shield!*

:
The guy hasnt even played it for a day and your recruiting him!
Dawg!
Indeed, let's lay off the recruitment thread, for once.

Beware, not only does the Discovery SP become harder, it develops timing glitches, since the cruise speed is jacked up, and weapons glitches, too.
Pages: 1 2