Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Gas Mining Mod
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
As it appears that some people are not reading the old thread as it has been developing - I have decided to create a new one!

"Well - its no good me putting it on the devs to implement something like this - so I am going to have a crack at it myself!"

STAGE 1: COMPLETE
STAGE 2: COMPLETE
STAGE 3: BETA READY
STAGE 4: IN PROGRESS

Stage 1 is to have lootable ice chunks around a Gas Miner.
The field is small - only about 300 long. It straddles across a Gas Miner such that one ship can fit inside the field either side.
There are no big asteroids, no particles other than the lootable rocks - so it doesnt detract from the visuals or ship flight paths.
I have the default drop rate set the same as the Silverton Field in Colorado.

Stage 2 is to sort out the in-system dynamics.
Specifically I want to address the issue of travel distance to a docking point. it is not fair on pirates if the Gas Miners are too close to safe harbour.
To this end i shall explore the idea of moving the miners further away - as well as repositioning some miners +- 2K from the plane - so the overall cluster of miners is more distant from safe harbour.

Stage 3 is to sort out the drop rates. Looking at the FLHook code - it wont be too difficult to assign drop rates for the appropriate factions.
I would also be looking at lowering the dynamic asteroid count in Sigma-13 - as it is supposed to be running low on sufficiently dense H-Fuel reserves. With less rocks being spawned it should take longer to mine a load - and thus counter the closer distance of this system to any sell points.

Stage 4 is sorting out the economy. It may well mean deleting the local buy points for H-Fuel - and having the nearest points out further, like Mainz, Aomori or Osaka, and perhaps Shinjuku or Narita for the Samura traders.
And of course it will mean looking at the furthest sell points, and giving them a suitable price.
Looking at the Sigma-19 map - I was considering the problem of the space needed to establish outlying mining areas in an expanded Hiryu Cloud.

It also occurred to me to consider just how many mining ships would be present in an area at any given time.
Sigma-19 has 15 Gas Miners - if all of them had this mod implemented the system could hold up to thirty (30) mining ships at once!
This is far more than what would normally be expected - especially given the presence of other Gas Miners in other systems.

So I thought of a compromise. I shall take only some of the miners from each of the three areas (south of Ogashawa, west of Ogashawa, and east of the tradelane), and move these miners (and their patrol paths) to the outlying areas. The remainder will remain where they are - unmodded.

This would still allow at least a dozen mining ships to operate simultaneously in Sigma-19. It also means that the areas near Ogashawa and the tradelane will still have eye-candy Gas Miners in sight.

When i have moved the Gas Miners into position - I shall put up an image of the map for people to take a look at.

Well, here it is. The Waypoints are located on each of the moved Gas Miners - it basically show the mining area situated within a Hiryu Cloud that is about one-third larger than the current one. The extra volume of cloud extends mostly out west.

[Image: s19new.png]
Looking forward to see what did you come up with man. Keep it up!
I detect a good idea!

I have often wondered what the GMG offers in the way of mining for players. The original answer to my question was.... nothing. That is very sad, to see a miner's guild not being about to mine.

This Idea could breath So Much Life into the sigmas! I approve!
I like this, alot! Perhaps with this implemented, we can actually start doing that we should... mine that gas! And bring some more life into the Sigmas, as lobser_lord said.
Nice work Friday!
This will bring added RP opportunities for our transports. I like your idea of placing mining areas farther out.
Might I suggest making the lootable asteroids look like the 'volitile gas' pockets?

Then if we beef up the damage of volitile gases, we can have the volitile gas fields have higher drop rates.
If I recall correctly - there was meant to be a problem with mixing lootable rocks and the volatile pockets.

One problem I can think of - is the loot being vapourised by its own volatile pocket the moment it spawns in!

Perhaps a screen of what it looks like at a Gas Miner might allay fears of it looking odd:
[Image: screen6vq.png]

Here is one with a few chunks up closer:
[Image: screen9j.png]
Sigma-13: A total of 5 miners modified. Thats up to 10 players mining simultaneously. I moved two miners south to the other side of the suns, to get the distance from Naha over 20K. As there is safe harbour in s-19 and s-17 10K from the jumpholes - I also had to ensure the gas Miners were at least 10K from the jumpholes themselves.

[Image: s13y.png]

I made a new Field that has a 25% lower rock spawn (12 instead of 16), and 33% lower default loot drop (up to 4 instead of 6).
These figures represent the diminishing returns to be found in Sigma-13.
All spawn and loot figures are arbitrary at this stage.
' Wrote:If I recall correctly - there was meant to be a problem with mixing lootable rocks and the volatile pockets.

One problem I can think of - is the loot being vapourised by its own volatile pocket the moment it spawns in!

I mean take the model of the volatile pockets, shrink it, turn it into an asteroid. The asteroid it's self wouldn't be volatile (even though it would be cool to fly a gas miner through a field, coliding with gas pockets to make loot fall out).
Pages: 1 2 3