Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Freeport 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
With all the info I find on it...that question still remains.
Any clairification on the subject ?
In Magellan? It belongs to the Independent Minders Guild.
Doesn't it IFF as an IMG base?

If it quacks like a duck...
Here's what it says from the wiki, which I know isn't totally official, but sounds about right.

Quote:Freeport 4 was originally a Bretonian station that was abandoned but later reopened by unemployed miners from New London. The miners eventually joined the Independent Mining Guild (IMG) and declared the station a Freeport, open to all. The population largely subsists on whatever income it can manage by selling Water and ice to the IMG, freelancers, or anyone else who has the credits, and by repairing the odd commercial transport damaged by asteroids or pirate raids.

So while it has something similar to the Zoner laws about NFZ's, it is NOT a Zoner base.
The IMG hold a neutral reputation to all factions in the area. That's why its a freeport.
It is IMG, which is why IMG was a signatory to the Treaty of Curacao.
Yes, it's IMG, but god help you if you break the NFZ when I'm on the Perihelion.
' Wrote:Yes, it's IMG, but god help you if you break the NFZ when I'm on the Perihelion.

If the Perihelion is a Zoner vessel, it would likewise be in violation of the NFZ, even as it sought to defend it. That NFZ is enforced by IMG alone, unless the Treaty of Curacao specifies Bret or Lib enforcement under special circumstances (which I can't remember atm).
I'm going to assume, first of all, that the Perihelion is an IMG ship. (why do the IMG have capships?)

And then I'm going to wonder why it has a no fire zone. For that matter, why any freeport beyond freeport 9, the historical meeting place of the Corsairs and Outcasts, have a no fire zone.

Neither the Hood (also a freeport) nor Java base have rules of nfz, and both, actually, are rather active in blowing things up. The Java, furthermore, plays host to a large number of CR nearly constantly, who are in no way peaceable with many people passing through.

The point of course is that no fire zones seem unnecessary or unattainable (freeport 2, for instance, is going to have very little say in where the RM and the LN duke it out) in most locations, as well as being rather out of place for an IMG station, because the IMG do themselves have enemies.

The idea of a Freeport has been somewhat magnified by the lack of actual time it takes to travel. Where a journey from planet Cambridge to Friestadt base should take five to seven days, according to rumors and infocards, it really only takes five and a half minutes, which leads to the idea of 'open to all' meaning everyone in Sirius rather than everyone in the neighborhood, two vastly different ideals.
Would the IMG let corsairs land on Freeport 4? They'd likely never have to think about it, given that the corsairs are q week of travel away at their closest, and those corsairs are raiding parties which travel for days from their base. Space is rather large.
The Perihelion is Independant Miners Guild Guard ID'd Zephyr.

I'm quite sure I'm well within my rights to both defend our own station and enforce the NFZ around said base, no?

EDIT: A NFZ which has been established through RP, infact..