Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Someone knowledgeable about RAM timings?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
One of my systems I've started working on again has...issues. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit without problems, but when I run the evaluation thingy that scores your system, it freezes on the tail end of the CPU test.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on an AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000+ Black Edition with 2GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 4-5-4-15 @ 2.10v

I ran HWmonitor during the last try, and at the time of the freeze the cores were running at ~39c. Not enough for a heat-related crash. I believe it has something to do with the RAM timings, but I'm not able to decipher what's said on Tomshardware and other sites.

MCT Timing Mode [Auto]
CAS#Latency(TCL) [4.0]
Min RAS# Active Time(TRAS) [15 CLK]
RAS#Percharge Time(TRP) [4 CLK]
ROW to ROW Delay(TRRD) [Auto]
ROW Cycle Time(TRC) [Auto]
1T/2T Memory Timing [2T]

That's the memory page of the BIOS. Stuff in brackets can change.

I've got the CPU running FSB @ 200.9Mhz with an x13 for 2.6Ghz.

DDR Memory Frequency's at 800. CPU Voltage is on Auto, Memory 2.10v as per OCZ's site.

Help!

EDIT: Found something in the BIOS called Limit CPUID to 3, in the notes it said "Off for XP". It was set to off. I turned it on. If that fixes the freezes I'm gonna be ticked.

EDIT EDIT: Nope. Froze.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: +12v rail is being reported as delivering 5.6v. Possible cause?
What's the configuration of the RAM? 1 2gb stick?

If you can, swap out the memory and see if the problem still presents itself.

Does the computer crash at any time other then the Windows check?
Two one-gig sticks, paired in the color-coded slots.

I've tried other RAM in the past. I've also run Memtes86+ on these two for over 12 hours straight.

Near as I can tell, it locks up anytime something draws a lot of juice, which is fairly rare on the system at this point. (PSUCalc says I need a minimum of a 98w PSU >.>)
try taking out one of the sticks, see if one is bad. so take one stick out turn it back on run it like that for a little while, then swap and see if that is the problem
' Wrote:try taking out one of the sticks, see if one is bad. so take one stick out turn it back on run it like that for a little while, then swap and see if that is the problem

I don't mean to be rude, but I'm a bit past that stage.

Also, edits to the first post: +12v rail is delivering 5.3v at the moment. Probably going to need a new PSU. Lovely.
try turning the voltage to 1.85v(ish) it may help, it may not. if it starts to fail booting, take out the little cmos battery on you board and put it back in. it will reset your computers setting back to normal. unless you have a reset cmos button then use that.
It passed the Windows benchmark thingy with a score of 3.3 (Stupid EVGA 7200GS can't cut the cheese on graphics)

CPU got 5.6, RAM 5.5, HD 5.3

It'd do better if I wasn't underclocking the CPU to try and survive that blasted +12v rail.

Power Saver mode is on.
Hmm.. it may be the board actually. How OC / UC friendly the board is?

And becareful with the Vs, you may end up looking for a fire extinguisher in your room.

About timings, you tried to go back to the defaults? I believe the RAM manual and /or the company website should have a timing table for healthy OC. The reset CMOS thing is also nice but it may roll back your BIOS as well, Im not sure about that. My previous board needed a board upgrade to "understand" the rams etc. So default of EVERYTHING may not be too well.

Also, you ever considered your PSU may be causing the issue? OC needs more energy while your PSU may simply be weak to support it. Or your PSU may simply be dying. Though it usually causes random turn offs than lock ups.

Memtest the rams, then the slots and then trying the "return to defaults" seem to be the best path of action.

The board is an MSI K9N Neo V3, quite friendly to overclock. The RAM timings I've set I found on OCZ's website, and they appear stable (Will try 4-4-4-15 sometime later). Voltages are also according to their site.

The CPU is running underclocked to 2.4Ghz at the stock voltage.