Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Speech Macro Software
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

I am considering making a Freelancer Speech Macro program to aid in communication when there isn't time to type.

For instance:

Example 1:

I'm currently playing a pirate, Tawn, and when I want to hold up a ship I have to do it fast (because they are running away).

Now I can say "Halt!" but, due to RP rules (which I 100% agree with) halt is insufficent to engage (so a trader can run safe in the knowledge that I cannot engage).

Example 2:

A Navy patrol comes upon a pirate who has just pirated a trader. The pirate is making a run for it. The navy says "Stop!" but again this is not sufficent to engage.

My idea is to create a Freelancer Speech Macro program in which you can enter sentences which are required in these kind of situations.

So for instance the pirate could set up "Halt pilot! You must pay a.. tax.. to pass!", or the navy pilot "Stop pilot! Cut your engines and await inspection.", which he/she could assign to a key (such as F12). By pressing the key (in this case, F12) the program would open the chat box (Enter key), type "/l" for local and then the enter the sentence.

The program would be limited to entering local messages, as this kind of thing does not belong in system or local chat etc.

This is not a replacement for real RP, just a method of using it in situations where you really don't have time to type.

A UI would allow you to enter a number of different sentences and assign them to keys. The program would then run in the background while you play Freelancer.

What I'd like to know is:

1. Do the admins approve of this?
2. Are people for or against it?

Questions and discussion of the pros/cons please.:)
' Wrote:Hey all,

I am considering making a Freelancer Speech Macro program to aid in communication when there isn't time to type.

For instance:
Example 1:

I'm currently playing a pirate, Tawn, and when I want to hold up a ship I have to do it fast (because they are running away).

Now I can say "Halt!" but, due to RP rules (which I 100% agree with) halt is insufficent to engage (so a trader can run safe in the knowledge that I cannot engage).
Example 2:

A Navy patrol comes upon a pirate who has just pirated a trader. The pirate is making a run for it. The navy says "Stop!" but again this is not sufficent to engage.
My idea is to create a Freelancer Speech Macro program in which you can enter sentences which are required in these kind of situations.

So for instance the pirate could set up "Halt pilot! You must pay a.. tax.. to pass!", or the navy pilot "Stop pilot! Cut your engines and await inspection.", which he/she could assign to a key (such as F12). By pressing the key (in this case, F12) the program would open the chat box (Enter key), type "/l" for local and then the enter the sentence.
The program would be limited to entering local messages, as this kind of thing does not belong in system or local chat etc.

This is not a replacement for real RP, just a method of using it in situations where you really don't have time to type.
A UI would allow you to enter a number of different sentences and assign them to keys. The program would then run in the background while you play Freelancer.
What I'd like to know is:

1. Do the admins approve of this?
2. Are people for or against it?
Questions and discussion of the pros/cons please.:)
Psst.. Is allready implemented.

Type /setmsg 1 "Halt you scallywag. I saw what you had in your hold, and I want part of it.." in the chat window and press enter.

Then type /l 1

;)

A & L Guy

Or you can type /help to get more information about commands, or visit the wiki, or look in the tutorials&support forum for more details.
Hahaha, ok.

I had read through the list of commands in /help, just didn't click with the /setmsg.

Thanks guys.:)
Though having clear dictation software that's able to type into FL chat could be cool. But it would probably come out as "Halt, ye scally bag, I saw what you had in your folds, and I want a fart of it". Not good.
' Wrote:Though having clear dictation software that's able to type into FL chat could be cool. But it would probably come out as "Halt, ye scally bag, I saw what you had in your folds, and I want a fart of it". Not good.

I laughed out loud at that.

By the way, just a tip: I tend to forget my presets, so I personally recommend you print out a sheet to remember which is which.