Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: New to Discovery
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
First, hello to everyone. I played Freelancer years ago, played the vanilla several times, and hunted down just about every mod I could find. I mostly played multiplayer in lan groups though, and not much online. I just recently dug out my old freelancer disc, and happened across the discovery mod. . .WOW. When I last played, some of the most advanced mods out had 1-2 new systems and a dozen ships. . .so it took a while to wrap my mind around it all.

Anyway, I perused the forums and wiki for a bit, and ran an indie trader for a little, just to get a good grasp on the community and the new aspects of the game. So, I am ready to make a more interactive character(s), and am looking for some good factions to link up to. I am interested in several character ideas, based mostly upon some of the ship appearances I liked the best. What really keeps me riveted to a character is good interaction though. So, I'm looking for a faction with a decent group of folks (even if they're RPing not-so-decent folk) that regularly interact (friendly and otherwise) with other groups. So, please peruse my char ideas, and let me know if you know of a group I could fit in with.

Order Crusader
Naming Conventions: Callsign
Ship: Starting VHFighter, eventually Gunboat
A grim but determined captain who has seen the threat nomads pose to humanity, and set himself on a personal mission to safeguard humanity against it. Is short-tempered and has little patience for partisan politics among house factions, viewing them as a waste of time and resources not spent fighting the real enemy. Generally course and often insulting in casual discussion, can be a real human being under fire.

Corsair Swashbuckler
Naming Conventions: Callsign
Ship: Starting Bomber or Fighter (concerned about maneuverability notes on Cors bomber fitting with concept), MAYBE later a GB or BS
Live fast, live forever, and anyone who tries to stop the fun is a corpse. A young, impetuous pilot more out for the thrill of it all than raw profit. A bit of a loose cannon, and prone to asking questions after quite a bit of shooting first (still obeying rp rules of course), his favorite part is when things go horribly wrong and all hell breaks loose.

Young Kusari(or maybe Hogosha) Noble
Naming Conventions: Callsign, though eventually shifting to Ship name
Ship: Light figher for a good while, eventually working his way up to a capital commander
An eager youth from a wealthy family, raised with perhaps a few too many stories of honor and valor. Eager to please and ambitious, he hopes to earn great esteem in the eyes of the emperor through his actions.

Just a Cop (Lib or Brit)
Naming Conventions: Officer <Name>
Ship: VHF
A beat cop, just trying to keep his space clean. Keeps a steady patrol and takes special care to ensure that pirates and smugglers find easier lanes to frequent.

Council Ambassador
Naming Conventions: Ship Name
Ship: GB or Capital
The Council is fighting a bloody civil war with the Gallic government. In the hopes of achieving both long and short-term goals, they develop a long-shot of a plan. They tap a skilled and charismatic commander to venture quietly into Sirius with what few financial resources they can spare, with their own manufacturing capabilities tapped out for the war, his mission is to build capitol and relationships to commission a capital vessel that will then be assigned to serve alongside sirius house naval vessels, in the hopes of garnering support for the war and interest in integrating Gallia into the sirius galactic comunity.

Dread Pirate
Naming Conventions: Title, something vicious sounding
Ship: Bomber, Pirate Tans, or GB
He's mean, greedy, and a pain in basically every police force's backside. He holds no regard for borders. . .anyones, and strikes quickly, not hesitating in the least to scrape up scrap and corpses as his booty if his victims hesitate even a little in filling his hold and credit account. He has been known to partner with others for bigger hauls, but always makes sure he gets his cut.

So, that's what I'm considering, hope to start this char soon, so let me know what you think. Also, I'm fairly interested in the wilde and phantom factions, is there a way to earn regard on the server and get permission to make a character that works for them?
Welcome!
All I can say is, All your Ideas are really good! But, I have a suggestion: Why dont you make all those chars as Indies to start, then after some time, joining an Official faction with a better developed RP for the char, instead of some 'concept' ?
Making Indies always work for cases like this that you have a 'General Idea' of what you want a char to be.

Also, something that might stupid a bit stupid: Why dont you combine the 'Kusari Noble' and the 'Cop' characters and make a Kusari State Police char instead ? a 'Noble Policeman' sounds like a good idea!;)
Hey there welcome to the world of Discovery, please ALWAYS brush off you feet before entering into the fourms. No need for all mud be tracked around (stole that from the flood...:P)

I love how you are excited enough to start right of the bat into RPing with those ships. If you ever need and help drop me a line.
Welcome, young one.

Your ideas are marvelous, I shall say. However, I agree with Aerelm.
Welcome to Disco!:yahoo:
Welcome dude....Im new here at disco too and from the few months Ive played I would agree with Aerelm....good character Ideas though....

cheers and respects
OzoneRanger
Welcome here!

You got some great ideas!
And for the Kusari noble, why not making it a female and joining the GC ?

And yes as Aerelm said, best would be to stay independent for a while, to see if you like the idea, to give some more depth into the Character.

Other then that, really great ideas!
Welcome to discovery!

If you need any help developing your Order roleplay just drop me a PM and I can give you advice and help if you are willing to work with us Order| players.
Good luck and happy freelanceing
Thanks for the feedback and the warm welcome everyone.

I have more detail to most of the ideas I jotted down, but people tend not to read walls of text. . .which I am commonly guilty of constructing. I'll pick one and work up a bio to post to begin.

I'll be rolling indie for a while, but definitely look forward to rping with the lot of you.
Hello there mate. What else to say, enjoy Your stay and read the rules!
Pages: 1 2