Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Idea for stat track program in freelancer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking that perhaps I could program something to track your deaths (as kills are already stored that would be easy), this way you could get an idea of how efficient you are.

Would that be useful to anyone?
Just saw your message over skype, and was wondering what your idea was.

That would be interesting. I think that there is a program that does it, but I can't recall it's name.

Still, that would bring certain problems:

-Increased server load. The server is already crowded as it is. Running more programs on the server side could increase the lag.

-Fraggers. Those people who try to get perfect frag stats. I've seen that happen on a few server where death/kill count is implemented. They fight ONLY if they can win, and if they are being defeated they flee, F1, crash land, or do whatever is necessary to protect their stats. Something really annoying.
What if it was a small program you ran on your on comp and not the server? Though you would still want to be able to post your stats. I think people would be interested in that. I would be.
Bad bad bad idea, sorry, but when they introduced player kills on void (yes i did play on that server :/) it went frag crazy, trust me it didnt turn out well.

I no we here are maybe abit more grown up on this server than there but i think it would still get abused in some way, who cares how many kills you have anyway?
Ah... yeah, I can see the frag point.

Korrd, it doesn't need to be server side. I can find out where the kill messages are drawn in freelancer.exe and get the stats that way. At least, that was my plan; however, I fear people here are right. Such a program will cause problems with people attempting to gain many frags.

Maybe an accuracy program would be more interesting... Although, I have a feeling telling whether an enemy ship has been hit by one of your shots or not might be very difficult client side.

What I'm most interested in right now is figuring out a way to turn off the built in aim-assist that is in freelancer. It can be very useful for folks who tend to go in one direction for a reasonable amount of time; however, it very much destroys accuracy when someone strafes properly. I have been able to only get the data on the player crosshair; however, not the enemy-ships data. I'll have to keep looking in memory, unless someone has already tried something similar and found the static pointer to a targetted ship object. Most folks probably don't know what I'm talking about :-X, but maybe a few of you might and might know the answer.

Anyway, if I can't get that to work (I'm very lazy, so I probably won't.), I'm open to suggestions to developing something for freelancer. Some type of utility not seen, and not dealing with client-server communications (I don't want to go downloading a packet sniffer and trying to figure out how freelancer encodes and decodes its data).