Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Do you mind me RP'ing as an Autistic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Recently, I watched a film called My Name Is Khan. The movie is about an Autistic Muslim man who faces racial discrimination after 9/11, and wants to tell the President of the United States "My name is Khan, and I am not a terrorist."

What I want to do, is make a (serious) parody story, one of the theme of which, would revolve around racial discrimination in Sirius. What I ask from the community is, do you mind if I make the main character autistic (specifically Aspergers Syndrome) as well? The reason I want to do this is because from the research that I've done so far about Aspergers Syndrome, and from what I've seen in the film, these people view the world in much more simplicity then we do, thus the emotional impact would be much more significant. The reason I'm asking you guys whether or not you mind is because I don't want to make fun of disabled people. There will be a disclaimer at the story saying that my goal isn't to make fun of this guy with Aspergers Syndrome, but rather to increase the impact the story would have. Its theme is after all, racial discrimination.

So do you guys mind?
Will you fly around with him too? I doubt that a handicapped person would be able to do that. Rather than that, sure write your Story.
' Wrote:Will you fly around with him too? I doubt that a handicapped person would be able to do that. Rather than that, sure write your Story.

Not really, most of it is actually meant to be through forum RP really.
' Wrote:Will you fly around with him too? I doubt that a handicapped person would be able to do that.
Aspergers Syndrome raises the IQ of the individual, so I doubt this would impair his or her ability to fly.

And I say it's fine.
No, people should have the right to fantasise as any character they like.

You go for it.
IT breaks many taboos and can be somewhat descriminating depending on how you look at it, you RPing as an autistic I mean. I don't mind that one bit though. But everyones entitled to their own opinion...
Kudos for asking if anyone would feel offended by doing that.
But no I don't mind myself, you just do whatever you like mate.
' Wrote:So do you guys mind?

you wont know until someone complains, and that certainly wont happen right away...
until then, go for it.
As the parent of a teenager who suffers with autism, OCD and severe ADHD, I think this would be a challenging RP. I say go for it. Sirius/Gallia is a big place. I say why not when you consider the billions who inhabit it all.
It would be some good RP for Med.Force.One who's medical staff I'm always looking to challenge.
Well, Autism as an issue is rather close to me, and I have doubt in your ability as of this time, so I do mind.

IF you RP it well though, my opinion might change.
Pages: 1 2 3