Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Returningish. For reals.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
WARNING: This is a long post! If you wish to read it, I advise a comfy cushion for your bum and a tasty beverage.

First of all, I would like to humbly apologize to those of you who do remember me, and interacted with me, and who I didn't say goodbye to before taking a rather extended hiatus...particularly Unseelie, Bluntpencil, Malaclypse, Marburg, Xavier, Dusty, Turkish...hope I didn't forget anybody. I am terrible at farewells, but that's no excuse. Debated even posting this because I am even worse at apologies and don't want to look all OMGEMO, but I figure if I've felt bad about it for two years, I should probably say something. <.<

For those of you who don't know...two and a half years ago, I joined the Disco community. I grew increasingly active and, as I tend to do, I wanted to do everything. At one point I was leading RHA, and a member in the: QCO, QCP, BPA, NLH, TAZ, SCRA. In addition, I had a few active independents...an OSC character, a bomber and fighter in the unofficial Xeno "Serpentis" squadron, and the junker/former BHG duo Katashi & Ren. Oh geez, that was...lessee....

[RHA]Eismaid (gunship)
[RHA]Conrad.Egon (fighter)
[RHA]Conrad-Egon (bomber)
[RHA] (forget the cruiser flagship's name, it was on another account)
[QCO]Martin.Barclay (fighter)
[QCO]Martin.Barclay. (light fighter)
[QCO]Martin-Barclay (bomber)
[QCO]Defiance (gunboat)
[QCO]Exeter (destroyer)
[QCP] (think it was a bomber, or I was about to make one)
[BPA] (forget the name, Martin's sister, flying an Arrow)
[NLH]Silvanus'.Hand (fighter)
[NLH]Silvanus'.Fist (bomber)
[NLH]Demeter (Kusari Explorer - mighta just been Demeter, survery and research ship)
[TAZ]Linus.Koios (mammoth)
[TAZ]Ravenhurst (rickety old Liberty gunboat - even flew it missing a coupla turrets, if I recall)
[SCRA]Arkady.Borislav (fighter - don't remember if I made an SCRA bomber or not - this was well before 4.85 and dedicated SCRA ships)
[OSC]Pacifica (think it was an armored transport)
Anaconda (preggers eagle - heh, remember that one?)
Anaconda. (fighter)
Red.Raven (Katashi & Ren's ship, a salvaged old Corsair gunboat - back when the only dedicated Junker ships were the CSV and Collector)

Twenty-one ships. And that's just that I remember. I think that's pretty much it, though.

TL;DR = lotsa ships. Lotsa message dumps. Lotsa stuff to keep track of. Some of my friends here at Disco warned me, but I didn't listen...and burned out as a result. Just plain burned out, it started to feel like a job. Tried to come back a month or so later, but that fell flat. It was too soon. I apologize if I disappointed anybody that time by disappearing again. >.>

Then I got a new computer, and couldn't figure out how to get FL on it. A couple of years went by. I never removed the "DiscoGC" shortcut from my FireFox shortcut toolbar, and starting a few months ago, I'd click it every couple of weeks. Read some stuff. Lurked. Yesterday, I decided I'd see if I could get FL running on my laptop...within a couple of hours, I was back in. And though I couldn't remember half the flight controls, forgot how to engine kill, didn't know how to drop countermeasures, and nearly had to look up cruise engines...it didn't take me long to remember why I kept wanting to come back.

It's an old game. Even the best efforts of the incredibly talented modeling community we have here can't change the game's engine. The NPCs on the space stations look like clay, and their canned responses are laughably terrible. Missions are extremely limited.

Buuuut....then there's the people. The people who have taken this old internet spaceship game and turned it into an expanded living, breathing universe...by building on its code and contents, or by participation. The stories that're told - I read through my old logs, and had no trouble remembering the in-game RP that precipitated virtually every single bit of them. Discovery's what got me into RPing in an internet game in the first place, and time hasn't diminished it.

And SO MUCH has changed! Gallia is here (border worlds, anyway), the Liberty/Rheinland tensions that were developing when I left have become war, the Discovery wiki whose creation I remember discussing has become an indispensable resource, I'm not running into BHG and other humongous battleships every other trade lane, and OMG the house freighters don't suck anymore! 225 cargo capacity and 5k armor on a Rhino? The Kusari Drone rivals my beloved Camara for cargo capacity and price?! And the new ships! Some rule changes, too. So many changes...maybe starting from scratch again isn't so bad.

And I forgot to mention...the /restart command is AMAZING! And instant renames? Cash transfers via server command? Wow...not even dreamt of when I left.

I suspect a couple of my old characters will be returning, though perhaps in a different guise after two years. Katashi & Ren, Linus and his strange crew and black cat...they'll probably be back. Conrad won't, he's retired to spend time with his family that he spoke so often of. Selvia might return in limited NLH capacity, or maybe as a de-radicalized political activist and explorer, but likely not. Martin's sister and the Pacifica won't be coming back. Martin & the rest..not sure, but if so, not as active. Some of the factions have changed a fair bit, and I'm not going to over-extend myself again trying to re-cover all the old territory. That'd be like driving into a tree. Twice.

In conclusion...I'm sorry I left so suddenly and inexplicably, I'm excited to be back - though my job limits the time I have - and I'll see you in space. :)
I remember the day /givecash came out.

Damn, that was a spree.

I do believe that more than anything else is the most influential player command around.

Oh yeah, welcome back. You probably don't remember me much, you left when I was a noobling.
Long time no see.

Welcome back.:lol:
Hey, NLH is still alive! We have a nice signing bonus too, even for returning members. Contact me, Marburg, or Ktayn if you're interested in just popping into the NLH chat to talk Gaian business (and maybe try on your eco-terrorist shoes).

See you around!
Well, since you're returningish I'm gonna welcome you backish... & as far as I'm concerned, no apologies are necessaryish; you've been missed you, you absentee bugger, you!:cool:

You just gotta love the undeniable gravitational pull this place generates, huh?
:yu:

Ze'ev loves when old friends return.

I don't.

Join the Consortium, first and foremost!

Also welcome back!
' Wrote:I don't.

Join the Consortium, first and foremost!

Also welcome back!

Beware of them, they have tried to kill Ze'ev several times in the past.... and thats the nicest of what they have tried to do to him.

The Consortium are creepy. They want me to interview them so they can be infamous. I'm the new resident gossip journalist and paparazzi! Oh yeah, welcome back! Perhaps and interview is in order? Famous [x person] reappears after being unheard from for two years?
*drops dead*

Lancer!!! Holy crap! Welcome back, old bean. Get your arse back into the QCP train!
Pages: 1 2 3 4