Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Are there dogs in space?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My sincere apologies if this subject has been addressed.
I promise I searched a bit before this post.

What sort of animals exist in Sirius at present? Has there been work to establish this? We know the Sleeper ships were stuffed to the gills with human cargo,but did they bring animal life? It would seem likely that a spacebound exodus would bring some type of renewable food, I.E. - animals to breed and slaughter. If not the actual animals due to space concerns, prehaps in embryo form, and produced later? ESC*

I don't get around ALL the stories..Is there a character out there that has a pet dog? Are there ships infested with rats? IS there a ranch on planet Denver where cattle are raised?

Also to be addressed, the only animal life I hear referenced often, is of course Gaian Wildlife. It does create some limits on certain roleplay actions (I speak primarily of on-forum stories and roleplay, not necessarily in-game RP)

Is anyone of the mind that certain species of animals should be definitively established in the Discovery Universe?

As a gradual increase of established critters, after a while players would have all sorts of animals to reference in their stories,if they chose to do so.With animal life that has been generally established and agreed upon, the critters wouldn't seem made up on the spot. Or you know....if it became common knowledge that the Liberty brought samples of Texas Longhorn along, our characters could get a decent steak once in a while.

Such a list of animals needn't be resrictive. If you want your blue-furred marsupial native to planet Erie, I say have at it But wouldn't it be nice if others knew that it was called "Macropus Caeruleus" and grew an average of two meters tall. It ate mostly a plant diet, except during breeding season, when its dangerous to humans?

Any thoughts or comments on this matter?
I imagine that no animals were brought over.
BUT I think that every sort of DNA would have been stored in a computer.
From there, it wouldn't have been difficult at all to actually create animals of their respective species, what with Freelancer's level of technology and such.

It's very safe to say that earth-animals exist - there's references to them in Vanilla, if I'm not mistaken.

The DNA databank really makes the most sense to me.
I imagine if there are any dogs in space they're very cold.

HIYO.

Yes, for the same reason that the colonists would have been able to cultivate crops and raise livestock upon their arrival sleeper ships would have maintained databanks storing essential DNA, either in the form of recorded genomes or in physical genetic samples.

For everything but marijuana apparently.
Have you ever seen Titan A.E.? Pretty fun movie, but yea in that their large ship has a DNA databank with trees and animals alike so when humanity recreates earth we'll throw in all of our favorite things again.
' Wrote:My sincere apologies if this subject has been addressed.
I promise I searched a bit before this post.
<snippage>
Any thoughts or comments on this matter?

How far back did you search, sir?

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...c=2818&hl=#

I do not believe that is a picture of a "databank".

And Rick Deckard would never lie.
Now I miss Maj

Waaaaaah
Of course we'd bring DNA samples. It's not like there are already cats and dogs and bunnies or whatever, right? Just as much chance of finding a Cyberdemon in Super Mario Brothers.
Provided the massive DNA banks were available to the Alliance when they started the sleeper ship project...

It's feasible but naturally there's nothing in canon that says it existed.
I think the brought a lot of seeds with then in the sleeper ships.
I don't find it farfetched that you'd find the same "building blocks" all over the Universe. Who's to say that "canus" DNA didn't exist before we even tracked our muddy boots through the Sector?
Pages: 1 2