Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Vigilante ship advice
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm (still) thinking about making a vigilante ship. Since I can't ally with anyone (except other, non excistant vigilantes), I'll need to fly solo. I'm not good enough with snacs to use a bomber as a multirole tool.

so I was thinking about the Spatial.

it can mount a snac to deal with pirate GBs. It can use double mines. double screamers will tear through a GB shield. or maybe use 1 nuke and 1 screamer mine for extra damage.

it can also deal with bombers as long as I don't joust.

it will have trouble with fighters, but it can fight em.

What I'm wondering though: are there any better alternatives? People here have experience with the Spatial?
I've never flown one Dash, but from what I've seen from fights I've been involved in they're SNAC magnets, mini-razor magets and GB Battle Razor magnets. Not a good position to be starting from.
I found it horrid, especially when traveling through asteroids/mines that asymmetrical fin/shield thing has a big tendency to snag on to things
Spatial might be a good ship.
Keep in mind two things (as a guy who flies two spatials):

Snac loses the ability of CD.
Weight your options and see what do you need really in the situation.
Do you need to run from a gb, or do you need to kill it?

CD offers a good chance to stop those pesky pirates who run off with cargo. Snac however does not. There's nothing worse than pirate blowing up a trader / miner and cruising away with it's cargo while your impotent ship observes without any chance of stopping him.

You can mount alot of guns on spatial. Or you can mount mining turrets to help the others. But you don't get a bonus, not with vigilante ID.
So let's be focused on more guns.

Gun layout should consist of missiles / hullbusters and a shieldbuster (optional)
Why optional?
Here's the deal. Spatial is a huge ship. Bulky. Even a ptrans has no problem dealing with one. You'll need a missile to fight bombers / fighters. Some people go with sidewinder, others chose paralyzer. It is entirely up to you. Sidewinders and cannonballs knock out equippment well. Fire couple of those in a snac, and it will fall off.

However paralyzer knocks down a shield in one hit, and that just might be what you need to fight off those pesky fighters with an mini razor because you'll have hard time coping with their manuvers.

Mines: You have two mines. But as well as with multiple missiles, you need to use brain on how to use them.
Mines track. One mine tracks faster one mine tracks slower. Even if you have two mines, there's a big chance one will head towards that ship first, and one will head second. Where's the problem there?
problem is that one mine will blow up the other mine if you don't use it wisely.

Drop screamers while there's shield, drop nukes when there's not. With fighters, drop them both. Keep in mind that one of the good tactics is a minespam with a CD as well.

You can try a nova torpedo as well. See, bomber can't mount anything but a Snac and novas, their shieldbusters can do the work, but do it slowly sometimes. Mounting a paralyzer, screamer mine and a shieldbuster gun, and having a nova torpedo instead of a CD could cause some major WTF events to that gunboat.

Edit:

I really hope you do not shy away from this ship because of those comments. Not that they are wrong, because they are not.
But spatial is a great ship, filled with joy and joyness of joy!
The joyness of joy is bit lost on that vigilante ID because you do not get a mining bonuses, but as I said already thats not your line
of work. (sadly)

I personally question entire vigilante setup with anything but bomber, and mad skills but thats just me.
IMO the server lacks the following: Miner mercenaries who can actually defend the mining ships and provide a mining bonuses.
Spatial is the ship that can, like maffic offer both at the same time, thanks to their wonderful abilities.
a tip for the spatial

fly in loops or spirals..... cuz once in a spiral your basically shooting at a book...

you gotta hit a surface like this

Though spatial aint that good in pvp... its epic against say.... cruisers/battleships due to large shield and hull... but fighters and bombers will just laugh at you.... gunboats will maybe get a slight problem with you, but thats it....

a good suggestion for a vigilante:
Eagle
Virage
Maruder (yes, its actually a good ship once you get used to it)
Ravens Talon
Kingfisher (for hit and run)
Camara (yes its a freighter, but its damn good)
Grizzly (Liberty civillian, VERY strong)

Light fighters like Basalt (civ mining) or Gintano (junkers) can use Starkiller torps... making them "hit and dont be hit" ships.... easyli able to fling a torp in someones face while being agile enough not to be hit.

EDIT:
http://discoveryfl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Touketsu

That ship, though ugly, has more firepower then you'd think.... bigger core then a sabre/nyx/stinger and more agility
Better get a Mafic if you can.
just found out

using the tech chart.... YOU CAN USE SABRE
SO sabre + 7 purple godesses + TCD + Screamer = WIN
' Wrote:just found out

using the tech chart.... YOU CAN USE SABRE
SO sabre + 7 purple godesses + TCD + Screamer = WIN

wouldent advice it in liberty due to its reputation though

and is the grizzley that strong? i flew it and dident get a good feel for it
' Wrote:wouldent advice it in liberty due to its reputation though

I don't think reputation matters when you're a vigilante. They'll shoot you no matter what ship you're flying. And the grizzly is a beast, but of course - weak against decent bombers.
Vigi can use a Sabre? now that I didn't know...

But there are already tons of Sabres and it looks kinda... strange to me that a pirate-hater in essence flies a 'pirate' fighter. I might as well use a Wasupu then.

Point was multiroling. But I fear SHF don't cut the cake. they are just too easy to blow to pieces. it only tales a little longer. Instead of exelling vs fighters and bombers and sucking vs GBs like a fighter, a SHF is mediocre at best vs fighters, bombers and GBs I gather.

this is exactly what I experienced first hand in my Mjolnir back in my RFP days.

alas, if only there were more Vigilantes around:(
Pages: 1 2