Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The chat window
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
What is the possibility of not showing where every online person is?

For example, if you look in the chat window:

Player1..........New York
Player2..........Stuttgart

Would it be possible just to show who's online? It would quash all the "OMG METAGAMING" threads that are spawning lately.

' Wrote:What is the possibility of not showing where every online person is?

For example, if you look in the chat window:

Player1..........New York
Player2..........Stuttgart

Would it be possible just to show who's online? It would quash all the "OMG METAGAMING" threads that are spawning lately.
Sadly, I think its a limit that the game engine has in place. Until we get the source code from the source of the game, we can't tinker with this one.

It would add an immense variety and add features to 'stealth' craft.
Duct...tape?
I like it how it is now, honestly, even acknowledging that sometimes people might use it to find my Hogosha transport for a fun little bit of extortion.

On that note, gunships and transports please stay directly in front of or behind the Golden Crane. Thank you.:)

Reasons:
RP: If someone's in Omicron Beta, my Outcast should be able to hear about it. We have a base there, after all.

OORP: If I'm floating around on my Junker transport and I see that there's a bunch of people in Bretonia, I'm going to want to go there for some RP. He's supposed to be supporting Bretonia's war effort. If I see that the place is dead, I can save the effort and play a different character.
Doing away with in-name official faction tags would be a quick fix. Have the official factions be their own in game faction, and make the IFF for a full green be the official faction tag instead of the usual Navy or Military. It would make Metagaming a tad more difficult :/
That'd work great, Eisen, if it weren't for the fact that it requires NPCs or a base affiliated to every specific player faction.

Also, what about new factions that pop up between versions?
it would be awsome to be able to run around a system without anyone bringing that chat window down and everyone shouting OUTCAST!!11! lets get him.
Almost every possible faction that can be made has been for each given faction - Well, mostly true - well, kinda true - well... meh.

Regardless, the more official faction tags we can remove from being meta-game-able the better right? The ones that are unlucky enough to have the crappy timing of not being established before an update will just have to deal with it until the next one. Until that time though, the ones that do benefit by not being meta targets get to enjoy not being meta targets.

Also, there are tons of Official Factions with their main base of operations. For example, the Hellfire Legion have Fort Leniex, and the 101st have Sanctum. Making those Rp-ed bases of operations for each respective official faction into an actual base of operations should be easy.

Also, make the rep for the official faction be just one unit less than rep for the guard faction so that anyone who is able to dock at a guard base is also able to dock at an Official Faction base - and just repninja official faction IFF to the official faction ID
[sarcasm] People uses "y" to find me and interact with me by playing the game together.

OH PL0X, SM1, MAEK EET STOP !!!!111!!1! .... [/sarcasm]

Don't want even if that is possible
' Wrote:Regardless, the more official faction tags we can remove from being meta-game-able the better right?
/factioninvite says hi.

I'd like to keep the useful functionality, thanks.

Plus, without the tags, it's harder to tell when someone's impersonating your faction. Someone pops up and sticks a faction tag in their name without permission and that faction can catch it in the memberlist and have something done about it. It's not as easy for those people to catch it when there's no tag - especially since often the only people seeing the fake aren't in that faction to begin with. Do you know the whole roster of the 101st? Of course not.
Pages: 1 2 3