Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Difficulties: not seeing the server listed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey all,

sure hope you can help me out. Sorry for the lengthy description that follows.

I have had the problem, that after a couple of minutes idle-time when docked, I got booted off the server. The forum showed me it is normal, I just need to chat when docked, to reset a timer. OK so far.
Once booted off, I would try to reconnect, but never the server shows up in the server-list. Sometimes, the other Discovery servers (UK, Hamburg) DO show, just not the main one. Sometime the entire list remains empty.

So, after two days of changing the FL short-cut's properties and reboots, finally decided to re-install all, using this thread by Cannon: Installing FL and Discovery

This is what I did:
- export registry settings for FL (account info) and save them to desktop,
- in FLMM, first restoring backup files, then de-installed FLMM itself, then de-installed FL.
- cleared any left-overs in the respective directories
- download once more FLMM 1.31, then the entire 4.85 mod.
- installed FL, then FLMM 1.31
- entered the 4.85 mod in FLMM, then activated it.

Now I get in trouble: the thread by Cannon tells me to click the FL desktop shortcut, it will ask to install the update 3.
BUT: That happens only after the Discovery splash screen (you know, the pink one) appeared, so the download question is in the background (the mouse pointer DOES however respond to something unseen that triggers it to form a 'finger'). For some reason I couldn't ALT-TAB the screens, just CTRL-ALT-DEL and then Escape, it flipped the splash screen to the background and I was able to click 'Yes' to update 3 download and install, which worked fine.

Activating the splash screen in the foreground, it continued onward to the main menu, choosing for 'Yes' then 'LAN', it showed the server list... empty.

I closed FL, restarted by clicking the shortcut, it wants to update 3 AGAIN (in the background of course). This time I couldn't flip the splash screen to the background, so I failed to either update, or skip the update.

After turning the computer off completely, I am now here, stuck.
Mind you, I have NOT yet reactivated any account info. That can't be it and I might well have lost some hard-earned starting cash... But more importantly, what is going on? What am I missing?

Oh, I am running XP, SP3, up to date, even turning off firewall doesn't help.
Hmm.
It works one time after I reboot the computer. Using fldirectip.hta it will work one time, second time server is gone from the list. Same when using the -s87.72.29.113:2302 switch. But when I use one of these methods once, the other method won't work any more.

Should be a give-away as to what is happening. DNS or resolving issue maybe? I am not very Networky...
FL should shut down when the update 3 is being installed, that's probably why it wanted it again. You could try installing the update manually.

Download links:
http://www.moddb.com/downloads/discovery-f...eunion-update-3
http://igiss.net/files/485update3.zip

It's a simple zip file, unpack it into your Freelancer folder. You may need to do it with admin rights if it's somewhere in Program Files or such.

When you have the mod updated properly, it shouldn't need the -s### nor the fldirectip workarounds. Just going to LAN games should show the servers.
Thanks for your help.

I downloaded and unzipped into the EXE folder.
It updated, but the server list is still empty. So a reboot was needed to show the server, but currently there are 198/200 players.:cool:

I de-activated the mod (enabled ENBSeries per accident), then re-activated with proper setting, I needed to update manually. Worked, but the server list went dead on me once more. Berlin, UK or US RP 24/7 are not showing.

Oh well, new day tomorrow.
You will have to install the update3 again
' Wrote:You will have to install the update3 again

Idk what you are doing, but i found that just running the icon as administrator does the trick.
Regarding admin rights, I am on XP, my account is the admin account for this laptop.

I was afraid something went wrong during the previous installation, so I decided to start from scratch once more.

De-installed all, removed remnants, then re-installed FL and FLMM, loaded the mod and activated it.
Did a manual update of the mod (update3), then clicked the shortcut. All servers except 87.72.29.113 are showing.

Pls take a look:
My FLMM mod activated: [Image: FLMM.jpg]
The serverlist I get to see: [Image: servlist.jpg]

As soon as I go to main menu, close FL, then restart it and go to the server list, it will show up completely empty.

I am totally lost by now and I'm starting to think it is not meant to be.:shok:
' Wrote:Regarding admin rights, I am on XP, my account is the admin account for this laptop.
I am not sure about XP sp 3, but definitely on Vista, even if you are on an admin account, you still need to choose "run as admin".
FIXED!

This morning, I was once more able to see the server and log on. Played for a while, then got kicked off for inactivity (baby-girl w. flu).
Trying to log back on: no servers visible. Then it struck me.

Why not do a 'ping': >> I got only one reply, the rest failed...
Do a 'tracert': what did I see? It failed straight after seeing my router... didn't even see the provider (which is strange, because I can get to the internet to post on this forum for example). So, I got suspicious of my connection, which is through WiFi, 54Gb.

Went to the attic, got me a network cable, plugged it in, went back to FL: server is listed!
Logged on, flew around, logged of, tried to log on again, AND I COULD! Logged off, killed FL, started up again, I could again see the server and log on! :yahoo:

Solution: use a cable while connecting, not WiFi. The exact reason for this solution is beyond me.

But if anyone has the same issue, I feel it is only fair to inform you.
Thanks all for your help and patience.