Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Spawnlag
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Err... I'm using an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 graphics card, Intel Core 2 Q9000 quad core CPU, six gigs of ram, on a 64 bit copy of windows 7. I'm running Freelancer with the discovery mod and nothing else - in windowed mode at the highest settings + 1024x768 @ 32 resolution with nothing else in the background (save for OS related processes and other essential processes).

That being said, Freelancer freezes for about two tenths of a second every time a carrier patrol spawns... My recently deceased laptop... which was a Lenovo y530 running an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.16 GHz x2 with Intel GMA 4500 and 4 gigs of ram did not do this under the same conditions :/

Is there any fix to this? I've re-installed Freelancer + Disco, my Gfx drivers, and DirectX10... and checked my registry, eliminated all but the core system processes, and sacrificed several small animals to several different elder gods, and this problem still persists -__-
Run freelancer from a ram disk. I expect this'll make it much better.
Everyone has that, doubt that it is able to be fix'd. Wut Cannon?
As far as I know, that's an engine-problem. It doesn't pre-load anything but the general system structure. All other models are only loaded on sight. So a spawning Cap patrol with fighters and stuff gives my 4850 those "two tenths of a second" as well.

I'm afraid there is no way to fix this without the sourcecode.
' Wrote:Run freelancer from a ram disk. I expect this'll make it much better.

' Wrote:Everyone has that, doubt that it is able to be fix'd. Wut Cannon?

' Wrote:As far as I know, that's an engine-problem. It doesn't pre-load anything but the general system structure. All other models are only loaded on sight. So a spawning Cap patrol with fighters and stuff gives my 4850 those "two tenths of a second" as well.

I'm afraid there is no way to fix this without the sourcecode.

Err... it didn't do this on my late, less capable, laptop... god rest it's mechanical soul. It's re-assuring that others have this issue, so a problem on my end is less likely.

Thanks for the feedback:D

Guess i'm out several squirrels and a pissed off neighbor :/
' Wrote:Run freelancer from a ram disk. I expect this'll make it much better.
Yes, do elaborate plz.
Intriguing, Cannon, that we should run freelancer from something that disappears when we shut down the computer...

We don't all have oodles of RAM to spare, either, so that's a minor problemo.
I actually like this as it signals that something is about to happen
Plus those 2 seconds ain't so bad - It's not like every ship is spawned 2 seconds
I'm running freelancer on a similarly high spec-ed desktop, and get the same type of blip when the battle-groups are spawning. It's an unintended feature for pirates and the like, so we've a warning to . . run.
*Browsing the internet on xfire*
*game lags, close xfire, shoot lane*
Ohai there

I love it, it's a bit of a cheap copout, but it's an unintentionally useful feature.