Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: quick question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
1.Do traders shipping goods around pay customs on those goods?
2.Do the citizens pay taxes?
3.Does this money exist in game somewhere?
4.Is it safe to assume that traders should be carrying a licence on them when trading? Issued by the customs office?
5.Is it safe to assume smugglers don't pay customs or import duties?
6.Is it safe to assume smugglers don't have these licences or may carry forgeries?
7.How good are these forgeries?
8.Will they fool the average officer?
9. If the navies want to setup a deal with mercs or bounty hunters do they have to raise this money mining or trading on alts?
10. Does number 9. Defeat the point a bit?
11. Is it safe to assume that your character does not in fact have 800 million to his name? That this huge amount of cash exists out of roleplay?
12. That the money you spend to buy a ship does not make it yours or your characters, that the money you payed actually buys you the right to roleplay that character?
(Note number 12 excludes all independant traders and pirates)
13. That if you are flying somewhere it should be under orders. No military will let an aircraft carrier just go for a cruise around (waste of military hardware)
14. If you are part of the official faction does that ever give you the right to speak for the entire faction as a whole or do you in fact represent a small sect/wing/part of a greater movement or faction?
IE: for number 14. Does the molly republic's peace with the BAF speak for all mollies or just the republic (I mean the npcs and people who give us orders, not the indies) how do the rest of the mollies on the base feel about it? With that in mind see question 15.
15: can we ever assume how the NPCs view our rp decisions?

Feel free to throw your thoughts to one or two of the questions depending on how enegetic you are feeling.

That is all. Please feel free to argue if you disagree with what the poster above you says.
Bit of clarrification on what other people feel would be nice.
Most of it is usually determined during roleplaying. Same thing like communications. Some people RP video comm but some just audio thingy.

But your questions gave me this idea...of house banks. Like every house would have its bank faction and would trader cash/bills/papers. Which would have to be made, of course...and they could trade windmills too.

Also...

9: Yes. Or they could make real trade taxes. But that would be just lawful piracy.

10: The point is roleplaying, not earning credits. But yeah, it looks weird.

11: I like to think so. But meh. Amount of credits in character's virtual wallet isn't related to any RP I can think of. Unless the wallet is empty. Or claimed to be empty.

I don't get #12

13 is in my opinion true. But people don't really care about it. *coughenemybattleshipsincorespacecough*

14: Factions have usually some kind of hierarchy. So a mere private shouldn't yell at a pirate "If u kill me the whole BAF will hunt you down! And faction diplomacy doesn't usually affect indies.

15: Well you can try and ask them...
You know those Border stations? They can be interpretted as customs stations. When a vessel enters a system, it'd have to dock with the border station and have its contents, identification and licenses checked, taxes paid before it can proceed. This is in roleplay, obviously.

Smugglers would avoid being detected by police satellites as far as possible, that's why they're not supposed to use jump gates and trade lanes.
#12 I believe he meant refers to when we purchase ships on the forums. It doesn't mean that you role play the character that the previous owner had. You can rename it, create a new role play that fits with that Ship and ID.

I will reply to the others when I have time, currently in between meetings for work.
' Wrote:1.Do traders shipping goods around pay customs on those goods? in RP, yes. In game mechanics, no.
2.Do the citizens pay taxes? in RP, yes. In game mechanics, no.
3.Does this money exist in game somewhere? No.
4.Is it safe to assume that traders should be carrying a licence on them when trading? Issued by the customs office? It's part of the neural net.
5.Is it safe to assume smugglers don't pay customs or import duties? They wouldn't be smugglers otherwise
6.Is it safe to assume smugglers don't have these licences or may carry forgeries? In RP, probably
7.How good are these forgeries? Up to your RP
8.Will they fool the average officer? These aren't the droids you're looking for... up to your RP, basically
9. If the navies want to setup a deal with mercs or bounty hunters do they have to raise this money mining or trading on alts? Since we don't work for free, they've got to get it somehow or other
10. Does number 9. Defeat the point a bit? Since we can't actually through game mechanics simply give the governments a few hundred billion to play with (well, we could, but we're not going to) - welcome to the wonderful world of RP.
11. Is it safe to assume that your character does not in fact have 800 million to his name? That this huge amount of cash exists out of roleplay? No, not at all, actually. My Freelancer character has been hauling goods all over Sirius for years, and has made lots of money.
12. That the money you spend to buy a ship does not make it yours or your characters, that the money you payed actually buys you the right to roleplay that character?
(Note number 12 excludes all independant traders and pirates) Nope - not really. Oh, I mean you're RP'ing as the captain of a ship if you're in a regular Navy or trading corporation - but you could be a contractor that allows his ship to be branded with those colors. That's how many shipping companies work today - they don't actually own the vessels that carry their cargoes, they simply lease them.
13. That if you are flying somewhere it should be under orders. No military will let an aircraft carrier just go for a cruise around (waste of military hardware) That's an interesting thing here. Since our neural net assumes we have FTL communication, our captains aren't quite as independant as the ones would in the days of wooden ships and iron men. But - at the same time - this is still a game, and you're imposing some realism on here that's not needed.
14. If you are part of the official faction does that ever give you the right to speak for the entire faction as a whole or do you in fact represent a small sect/wing/part of a greater movement or faction?
IE: for number 14. Does the molly republic's peace with the BAF speak for all mollies or just the republic (I mean the npcs and people who give us orders, not the indies) how do the rest of the mollies on the base feel about it? With that in mind see question 15.
15: can we ever assume how the NPCs view our rp decisions?

Feel free to throw your thoughts to one or two of the questions depending on how enegetic you are feeling.

That is all. Please feel free to argue if you disagree with what the poster above you says.
Bit of clarrification on what other people feel would be nice.
alright thanks Agmen.
That answers most of the things now I can better structure some of the RP I'm planning.
Kudos
For 14 - depending upon the faction, yes. That's part of being the official faction, after all. But then your comment on 15 - the npc's for role-purposes should listen to you, but our in-game mechanics don't allow that.
Alright, to further on the points and questions you have answered.

Can a Navy (be it indie or otherwise) Tell my smuggler -not- to dock? If I do will I be prosecuted for it?
' Wrote:Alright, to further on the points and questions you have answered.

Can a Navy (be it indie or otherwise) Tell my smuggler -not- to dock? If I do will I be prosecuted for it?
Yes, they can.

For example, both my Navy and LPI characters have as preset messages words to the effect of "Planetary docking rings and trade lanes shut down and deny access to #t". You can still dock, obviously, since the game mechanics allow it. However, that also means you're subject to a 6.10 violation.

Things of this nature are how we also end up with bounties on specific people. And of course, if you ignore the pilot, dock anyway, and he's got screens, it's likely that when you undock, you'll find yourself breathing vacuum.
alright.. So it would be against the rules. Could I not not dock and RP that I have been arrested by the planetary forces? say half the cardamine was confiscated?
(I doubt a smuggler would use an ordinary docking port where all the others would dock)
Or I would need to try escape and "lay low" for a while rather?
Pages: 1 2