Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Ships I Think We Need - A Request
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Utility Ships! Also something non-utility at the end.

1. Civilian salvaging vessels. Junkers can use them too, that's fine, but with all the ships blowing up all over Sirius I imagine there'd be a lively salvaging industry. Junkers do most of it, but civilians looking for a quick buck or just with nowhere else to go could do it too.

What Civilians have: CSV (light freighter),
What Civilians can improvise: Repair Ship (good for detail work), Heavy Lifter (to lift heavy parts)
What Junkers have: CSF (heavy freighter), Collector (heavy fighterght freighter), Recycler (SHF), Salvager (frigate)

What Civilians need: Heavy freighter (Heavy Lifter could pass for this, but I'd like something more specialized), mid-size transport.
What would be nice: Collector-esque general-purpose fighter, capable of defending itself, with a moderate cargo hold, and capable of salvaging and mining. <strike>Better yet, give civilians the Collector!</strike>

2. Mining ships. We have the Hegemon, but you know what that is? A base with an engine strapped to it. The KS line is nice, and leaves us with very few holes. Past filling the one or two holes, all that's really left is house-specific miners; not as important.

What Civilians have: Basalt (light fighter), Dacite (very? heavy fighter), Mafic (SHF), Spatial (SHF), Hegemon (base strapped to an engine)
What Civilians need: Heavy freighter, transport that's not the size of a base.
What would be nice: Light freighter

3. Moving passengers. As I always saw it, a Liner was a destination, not a tour bus. That's why they were dockable bases rather than flyable ships. To their credit, though, I have seen mobile Liners RPed as the entire vacation - kudos to every PanGal pilot I ever saw. Not many though, and that still doesn't cover movement of passengers in bulk.

What we have: Armored Transport (general), Civilian Freighter?, X-Shuttle, Spatial?
What we need: Various transports or Passenger Pods for trains and transports.
What would be nice: Both of the above.

I'm not talking about more generic ships here, not "yet another civilian fighter". I'm talking about ships with specific roles. Even if they're used for things outside that role, it's something that conttributes to specific RP that isn't as readily feasible in the mod's current state.
I'd like to add something to the list:

More SHFs, or at least one specifically made for combat besides the Mjolnnir. Spatial is an exploration ship. Maffic is a miner. The Junker ship is, well, a Junker ship. Ideally? A SHF based off the Molly/Rogue line, and one based off the Civilian line.
Well i for one love the hegemon. I used it as a RP base before. It's cheaper and easy to obtain than the barge and gets the point across... I don't really see the need to change that. Although the others, yes i completely agree.
' Wrote:3. Moving passengers. As I always saw it, a Liner was a destination, not a tour bus. That's why they were dockable bases rather than flyable ships. To their credit, though, I have seen mobile Liners RPed as the entire vacation - kudos to every PanGal pilot I ever saw. Not many though, and that still doesn't cover movement of passengers in bulk.

What we have: Armored Transport (general), Civilian Freighter?, X-Shuttle, Spatial?
What we need: Various transports or Passenger Pods for trains and transports.
What would be nice: Both of the above.
I'm not talking about more generic ships here, not "yet another civilian fighter". I'm talking about ships with specific roles. Even if they're used for things outside that role, it's something that conttributes to specific RP that isn't as readily feasible in the mod's current state.
Yes, some kind of passenger/"human cargo" transporter would be really nice.

I was missing some "real" research ship, too. I don't see any ship fit in this role, yes, some may seem to be "good" fitting ships, like the Luxus Liner, but, what about a smaller one?
Okey - not that important, just wanted to throw this in.

A passenger transporter like some kind of "space bus" would be really nice, it's a bit strange seeing a Train or something moving "human cargo" in cargo pods. That's...*imagines*...strange, as I said.
So the transporter for this would have to have more windows, a more passenger friendly look and such things, it shouldn't look like a cargo ship. Would be nice to have different kinds of passenger transporters, like those for refugees, which look a bit, let's say ... rustier; those for short range travel (freighters?) and those for long range travels (transporters?)... That's really one thing which is missing here, I think.
Yachts aren't "transporters" in my opinion, they're for flying around in nice looking systems or transporting some really important persons, but not for transporting passengers. And Luxus Liners - as said, I too see them as "destinations".
' Wrote:Well i for one love the hegemon. I used it as a RP base before. It's cheaper and easy to obtain than the barge and gets the point across... I don't really see the need to change that. Although the others, yes i completely agree.
I'm not asking for a replacement. I'm asking for an addition, for those who feel the Hegemon shouldn't be as mobile as it is. Or those who feel it's poorly suited to flight in asteroid fields.

We actually had the same idea about using it as a low-budget RP base.

Syrus: Good point on research ships. The Kusari Explorer, X-Shuttle, and Spatial fill that role for deep space exploration and related research (spaceborne anomalies and the like), but that's all we really have. But then, how would one go about designing a ship for other kinds of research?

I don't object, I just don't know how it'd be done.
Light Lifter/Cargo Pod Handler

I don't have time to deal with it now though, so the soonest it's going to get looked at again is about six months from now.
' Wrote:I'd like to add something to the list:

More SHFs, or at least one specifically made for combat besides the Mjolnnir. Spatial is an exploration ship. Maffic is a miner. The Junker ship is, well, a Junker ship. Ideally? A SHF based off the Molly/Rogue line, and one based off the Civilian line.

Agreed, SHFs should be more common as the 'everymans' ship for the exploration industry.

A Kusari/GMG SHF similar in shape to the Kusari explorer would be quite cool.

A Liberty SHF/Explorer would also be quite nice. Exploration should be QUITE important to Liberty, they have other houses all around them and need to survey like mad and find more useful places in their own sphere of influence. Prehaps have it be a cross between the lib GB and the Grizley, but give it some stubby wings and a general smooth hull for atmospheric flight.

Rhinland allready has a SHF ( and you also tend to see RFP/RM flying the Spatial too on occasion ..... ).

The Kusari have the Ku Explorer.

Bretonia also could use one, tho I draw a blank on what it could look like.
Civilian SHF?

I'll get on it.
' Wrote:I'm not asking for a replacement. I'm asking for an addition, for those who feel the Hegemon shouldn't be as mobile as it is. Or those who feel it's poorly suited to flight in asteroid fields.
Good point.. Although, i discovered nearly all the systems in Sirius with it, so it is manageable to fly through the asteroids, you just have to constantly maneuver. Well perhaps we can keep it like it is, just add a new ship instead of making an addition, so that for people who want a RP base that's cheap they can use this one.

EDIT: /facepalm. Ya i screwed up, but im not deleting it. XD