Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Corsairs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ever since I started with Freelancer I wondered how can Corsairs be so dependent on artifacts. Because they don't grow them, do they? Sooner or later they have to run out of artifacts...right? And from what I've heard they don't have many other incomes. If/when they'd run out of artifacts, Malta would have huge advantage, because I'd guess that they can't run out of Cardamine.

So are artifacts somehow renewable resource?
If not, are Corsairs predetermined to fail because they wouldn't have enough credits to maintain the Legate fleet?
If yes, would outcasts overrule Omicron and Omega space?
Is strawberry sundae better then strawberry cake?

Those are questions we are wondering about. Back to you, Ritsuka.

Thanks, Ritsuka.
In other news a lack of watermelons has been sighted in Ritsuka's room. All citizens are advised to send watermelons.

That is all.
nomads populated sirus before humans arrived, and is still here in sirius... wich leaves us with a galaxy full of relics from a civilisation that have been there for atleast 800 years +
Probably. Much like fossil fuels, they'll all run out eventually. Prices will sky rocket and demand will grow, eventually there will be none left. I'm sure the Corsairs know this, probably why they put so much effort into trying to claim other areas of space. Rhienland, Omega, Bretonia.
I'm sure they'd survive by plundering, pirating stuff and selling (illegal) armaments etc. etc.
' Wrote:nomads populated sirus before humans arrived, and is still here in sirius... wich leaves us with a galaxy full of relics from a civilisation that have been there for atleast 800 years +
Actually, no. Nomads were asleep until humans woke them up some time shortly before the Nomad War. All the Artifacts are Dam'Kavosh, left here before the Nomads ever woke.
' Wrote:nomads populated sirus before humans arrived, and is still here in sirius... wich leaves us with a galaxy full of relics from a civilisation that have been there for atleast 800 years +
What Nighthawk said plus Corsairs really don't have access to places all over Sirius.

' Wrote:I'm sure they'd survive by plundering, pirating stuff and selling (illegal) armaments etc. etc.
Oh yes, they would survive. But their power would be...well much lower, unless they'd find a new unique commodity or technology to sell.

For how long have been Corsairs selling Artifacts anyway?
A) Artifacts are 100% Daam-K'Vosh. Nomads have nothing to do with artifacts. It is arguable, at least in Vanilla lore, that Nomads couldn't interface with artifacts at all.

B) The amount of artifacts that are being shipped off of Crete is large, yes - but keep in mind that the entire planet is full of them. If want to think about spherical volumes of planet-sized magnitude, you'll realise just how freaking massive that amount is, even though it's probably only the upper parts of the crust. That's still an inconceivable amount of artifacts. (Same goes for oil, actually.) Please note that the Malvada cloud is full of artifacts as well, and that's a massive nebula, even for Freelancer - and it's in space, so there's no telling how big it actually is with the scale.
Well, the thing is - one mans artifact is another mans piece of junk.

When you're dealing with things like that, I consider them to be something similar to quite literally what you might find from an archeologicial site. So you might have an artifact that's a plate, quite simple and unadorned. Then you have an artifact that's a small statue of gold-leafed construction. Both things are artifacts from a previous era - yet their worth is different.

Now, since the cloud where artifacts are 'mined' is very, VERY large - and occupies 3 dimensions - you might actually be looking at the remnants of a small Dyson sphere. The sheer volume of what is available is enormous.
It's actually most likely the remnants of a something identical in construction to a "Nomad Lair" (Which is actually Daam-K'Vosh in construction, I believe) but much more massive in size. The construction of the Dyson Sphere was subtly different.
Omicron-74 has em too, and it's right next door and all.

I don't think they'll run out before humanity goes extinct.
Pages: 1 2 3