Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Norexan's English grammar class
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
I agree, there're many words in the English language that sound similar to each other when spoken but have different meanings. A good way to avoid these mix ups is to read over your written sentence and see if it makes sense.

Double checking always works and eliminates most problems.
My eyes hurt, there's so much text to read,
but sure its useful.
Updated with "stupider & stupidest".
Great guide, especially the "it's" and "its" part. I know many people who can't use them properly.
I just spotted some things that may be overlooks or mistakes by the original poster:

Chapter 16:
Quote:"I think this is one of the more stupid threads I've read in a while" - is correct.

Shouldn't it be "This is more of the most stupid threads (...)"? I think a superlative is more fitting in that particular example you chose, rather than a comparative.

Chapter 5:
Quote:The apostrophe is a raised comma '€” like this ( ' ). It is used to show 'possession' and to punctuate 'contractions'. Please use apostrophes in appropriate contractions such as "don't", "can't" and possension such as "Jason's car", "the dog's bone".

Typographical mistake: It should be possession.

This post is a very useful thread for those of us who do not have English as a "primary" language.
I haven't read the entire thread, so I don't know if it's been brought up yet.

A vs An
Both are used when denoting a single item. A fruit, an apple. 99% of the time, if the following word starts with a vowel, an is the article of choice. Consonants use a, generally speaking.

"An LWB" is correct!
At first, this appears wrong. However, pronounce the letter 'L' and you realize it starts with a vowel (Ell).
It would be "a Landwirtrechtbewegung" though.

Effect - Revisited
Effect can also be a verb. I.e. "To effect a change."
I think a few people don't know how to address a citizen of Liberty, Bretonia, Kusari or Rheinland.

Dear X Citizen,

You know, some folks think Liberty is called Libertonia :wacko:

(I didn't think it was worth its own thread but maybe it is.)
Thank you for mentioning the verb qualities of "effect" Boss, but I have already got that covered.

' Wrote:While some people do use "effect" as a verb ("a strategy to effect a settlement"), they are usually lawyers, and you should therefore ignore them if you want to write like a human.

I really appreciate your feedback, guys, especially Dantrithor's who found silly mistakes in my lessons. Just to clear some confusions on "I think this is one of the more stupid threads I've read in a while" -

"one of the more" is the comparative in this sentence and it means there are many stupid threads I have read but this is a more stupid one than the last. To be honest, this can be a little misleading as "one of..." is better when used with the superlative "most", eg "one of the most"

If you say "more of the most" it would not make sense because you are defining a comparative with a superlative. "One of the most" or "more of ... than before" would also be correct. But thank you for spotting this rather confusing example.

I will be adding a chapter on A vs An soon, thanks to Boss's reminder and I will update the rest accordingly.

The issue with addressing residents from the four houses is that there are no official words for them. For example, some would argue that "Kusarian", "Libertonian" and perhaps "Rheinlander" are appropriate addresses to the people from these houses but some would disagree. The bottom line is that people prefer convenience, especially when talking in real time on the server. Therefore, "Kusarian" is frankly easier and faster to type than "Person from Kusari" or "Kusari citizen".
Oh, I wanted to say "this is one of the most..." not "this is more of the most..." Blame my lack of sleep. I will not edit the previous post though: I'd face the consequences of my impressive stupidity:D
' Wrote:Thank you for mentioning the verb qualities of "effect" Boss, but I have already got that covered.

That would be my speed-reading showing. :$
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9