Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Want to say Hello!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, people of Discovery!:D I have been playing now for a few days trying to get a feel for the game as I am fairly new to role play (ANY advise on how to RP would be greatly appreciated). I love Freelancer and think its a great game. Ive played through the campaign a few times and always thought it would be fun to play online in a mmo setting, but could never find anything about it till just recently when I searched on a whim. lol go figure that's when I would find Discovery. Well anyways needles to say I was very surprised to find that Freelancer still had an online following and that the storyline and history of Sirius had been drawn out. I would very much like to be a part of the community here (and yes I've read ALL the rules) but as I stated I would like to know more about RP so I don't look like a total noob in game. Always willing to accept advise.
Thanks, :yahoo:
~ANUBIS~
Welcome.

Uhm, how RP should be? Very simple, think about how your character would do things and... Do those things in-game (make sure not to break the rules though). It's not some special art form, you can make it interesting though by making unconventional characters:P.
What helps with RPing.. is choosing a character in a favorite book or movie etc... and changing the name and find a faction that his roll will fit. Also being good at writing is helpful.
Welcome to Discovery. Basically, the simplest way to RP is to find a faction, read up a bit on its diplomacy and then act like you're a member of that faction (although adding a few quirks to your character can make them stand out). Joining an official faction (a list of which can be found Here) can also help your RP skills immensely.

If you've got any questions, try contacting people with [The_Angels] in their name, or any of my characters (If I don't reply, I'm probably in combat).
Welcome to Discovery!
It's good to see you're interested in RP and have played SP a few times, so you must be fairly familiar with the Storyline and the general atmosphere, And as others already said, The only advise on how to RP is to Think and Act like the Pilot in the ship, not the player behind PC! If you run into any 'New' situation, just think how would your character react. That way, you can easily turn any 'Usual' interaction into a new RP experience. Also, something I did after I bought my first 5k Trade ship (And later realized 5k Transports seriously suck and Titanic is way better:P) was to make different chars in different factions to experience their Roleplay, helped a lot!

And also some links, Although you say you've read the all, just in case you missed any;
  • Complete Version of Server Rules
    - Reading and Understanding all these (Even though it might get a bit confusing in the beginning) is essential for Survival (!) on this Server!
  • Community & Forum Rules
    - Aside from this link, there are certain rules for each Sub-Forum as well. You can find those in pinned threads of each Sub-forum.
  • Technology Usage Chart
    - Want to make a New character with a Specific ID ? First read the ID and its restriction carefully, then check this chart to see What Ships and Guns you can use with it.
  • Discovery Wiki
    - Need Information about any Faction, Ship, or Equipment ? You'll find what you need here.
  • Server Commands
    - There are many useful Commands available on This server, which are really useful, You can find a complete list on the Wiki Page.
If you have any questions, or need help, You can always contact anyone from This List,
And when In Game, Look for those nice guys around with [The_Angel] Tag, They sure know how to help you out.
Also, you might like to spend some time reading our Role-Playing Hub And even decide to join in! Remember, Server Roleplay comes first, but then, there is Forum Roleplay, which can be really enjoyable if you are the 'Writer' type!

So, Don't be afraid to ask anything you need, and ... Enjoy Your stay!;)
Welcome a board:)

As a newbie myself, I'm also struggling a bit how to do FL RP, I have RP experience in the MMO SWG for about 4 years, but this is totally different.

Maybe we can help eachother out.

/salute and have fun.