Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Cropping Video with Avidemux
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Avidemux is a powerful open source program that is especially good at preprocessing video. The most useful feature, however, is its hightly intuitive cropping system, which makes making a Freelancer movie very simple.

First of all, remember you can use -nohud to remove your hud from the video. This adds a lot more freedom if you want to make some kind of 3rd person ob style video.

Next, avidemux can be gotten here: http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/download.html

Avidemux can export in a variety of video formats, however I find the most useful encoder is the XVid Mp4. This saves as .AVI files. First, launch Avidemux.

[Image: avide.png]

Now, you simply drag the video you want to edit into the window. Remember to select a video codec for an output (default is copy) or you cannot apply any filters.

For this demo, we are going to show "upper corner cropping", which is a strategy to record freelancer videos without including your ship. Using the upper left corner of your screen as a filming space, and Freelancer played on a high resolution (I like 1680x1050).

Remember to record your object of interest with the upper left of your screen, with a little practice you can do with nicely.

Go to Video, Filters, Crop, and press the green + sign. This window will show:
[Image: avide1.jpg]

Those 4 entry boxes let you determine how much video to crop and from what direction, allowing you to crop the entire video in any way you like. I like to set right to 880 and bottom to 400, to crop it to approximately 800x600.

[Image: avide2.jpg]

Nice. Now, hit Ok and close the filters selection window. Go to File, save, save video, and save it as test.avi .
You will see it processing
[Image: avide3.jpg]

Once done, open the file and you get to see only that part of the video, and since it was widescreen and hi res to start you have a nice quality video in the end. I find this the easiest way to record in Freelancer.
[Image: avide4.jpg]

Cool.
Some tips:

1. You can crop any part, meaning you can put the focus totally on your ship as well.
2. This is useful for preprocessing videos before sending to movie maker or another program, because movie maker will degrade the quality of videos you crop because it is trying to stretch the cropped region over the original video size.
Well done. I would get this if I didn't have Vegas.

Nicely done masternerdguy.
' Wrote:Well done. I would get this if I didn't have Vegas.

Nicely done masternerdguy.

ty