Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Need quick answer please
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Is rule-lawyering breaking of 3.4 rule? Do people get sanctioned for that? If I remember correctly, I think they are.

And did I post in wrong section of the forum?:)Sorry if I did.
If you consider the behaviour warrants further investigation, why don't you post it as a report ?
Save a lot of contradictory debate as to whether the particular case is or not.
Rule lawyering itself is against the rules as far as I know...I just stick to not doing that in game ever.
' Wrote:If you consider the behaviour warrants further investigation, why don't you post it as a report ?
Save a lot of contradictory debate as to whether the particular case is or not.

I'm in a process of filing a report right now but I wanna file the one which will be sanctioned for sure. As I've stated Hoodie, I'm not sure if rule-lawyering is sanctionable and is it related to 3.4 in the first place. If that is an act of rule-breaking, I simply can't see to which rule it can be related to except with 3.4.

Simple yes or no from you or anyone else who's got some authority would have been quite helpful. After all, I don't wanna waste anyone's time, Administrator's time in this case.
The rule itself is quite self-explanatory, and none of us like barrack-room lawyers at any time. They tend to
put the dampers on roleplay immersion every time their fingers hit the keyboard. Yes it is against the rules.
If you are sure your case is, just present it as we ask, and it will be dealt with like every other report.
As a matter of fact, the rule itself is not self-explanatory. He wasn't threatening to report. Nothing about rule-lawyering is mentioned in rule 3.4. In general, maybe that kind of behavior is threatening and therefore is related to 3.4, but not that directly as one might think. It surely didn't sound threatening to me so that's why I simply asked.

Thanks for the response.
If he's just explaining the rules then it's threatening - and people are supposed to explain the rules.
' Wrote:Is rule-lawyering breaking of 3.4 rule? Do people get sanctioned for that? If I remember correctly, I think they are.
And did I post in wrong section of the forum?:)Sorry if I did.

If I understand correctly, rule lawyering is illegal, but not entirely due to 3.4. 3.3 specifically states that no OORP chat is allowed in system talk, except in the most urgent of all urgent emergencies. if, therefore, the rule lawyering was done in system chat, then 3.3 is infringed, if they weren't ACTUALLY posing as an admin, or weren't ACTULLY threatening sanctions, then they are exempt from 3.4.
Explaining the rules in the system or local chats is considered rule lawyering seeing as "The Rules" don't exist within the roleplay environment, thus it mainly falls under 3.3

3.4 Covers threatening other players with sanction reports. Or using an Admin's name without due permission.
If somebody is obviously going to break a rule, is it allowed to tell him that? I mean, not everybody knows the rules so good he never will do a mistake, and some might be quite grateful if you tell them that they are going to break the rules, and stand away from continuing with it.
In my opinion it adds little to roleplay if somebody breaks a rule and you just go ahead and sanction him instead of trying to prevent the rulebreak in the first place.
But it could be understood as "threatening to sanction the bad guy in case of continued actions" and I don't want to get sanctioned for trying to be nice and helpful and roleplay-improving.
It's kind of a catch 22.

Can somebody give some advice on this?
Pages: 1 2