Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Joining the U.S. Army
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So ever since the 5th grade I've wanted to become a United States Marine. But due to my asthma that automatically crosses me out for being a candidate. So I was looking into the Army and it seems that I'll be able to join even if I have Asthma. Now I've been deciding on what I should do and I saw a few options which really appeal to me, but I can't decide on what I want my MOS to be. So I've narrowed it down to these options:

MOS (19D) Calvary Scout

MOS (11X) Infantryman

MOS (19K) M1 Armor Crewman

If any past servicemen have any insight or experience in these fields please share them with me so I can et a little bit of a better feel for what I want to do. Thanks in advance everyone.

I had a good time as a M1 armor crewman. Though that was back in '81. They best advice I can give you is..Do what you feel you will enjoy the most.

Tanker.

Aka Sgt. Cook
If I was at your place..... gunnery:)

[Image: nonlineofsight.jpg]

[color=#FFFFFF]BANG BANG
' Wrote:I had a good time as a M1 armor crewman. Though that was back in '81. They best advice I can give you is..Do what you feel you will enjoy the most.

Tanker.

Aka Sgt. Cook

Thanks for the input man, I was really thinking and decided Aviations Officer just isn't for me. So 1 down, 3 to go. As for M1 armor crewman, I'd really love to work with tanks and make sure the men without a huge slab of steel with a 120mm cannon are safe. But the Calvary Scout seems like anoher real cool thing to do and be the eyes and ears of the battlefield.

' Wrote:If I was at your place..... gunnery:)

[color=#FFFFFF]BANG BANG

Eh, mobile artillery isn't really my thing. More along the lines of the M1A2 Abrams main battle tank.
You should also take into consideration your asthma may cause you trouble if you're forced to run under combat circunstances. So try to think about what your body can do under stress considering any of your physical problems, and decide based on that too. That's what kept me from entering the Spanish Air Forces and Spanish Army.
' Wrote:You should also take into consideration your asthma may cause you trouble if you're forced to run under combat circunstances. So try to think about what your body can do under stress considering any of your physical problems, and decide based on that too. That's what kept me from entering the Spanish Air Forces and Spanish Army.

Yeah man, I'm still another 2 years from joining but I just want to get everything planned out and have a backup incase I don't end up doing what I want. So during the next 2 years I'm going to train and build up that endurance so it's not an issue during basic.
If you have Asthma and its a big enough issue for the Marines to close the door on you then a Infantryman in the US Army isn't a great idea. Between a Tank cremen and a Calvary Scout, its what you think you would be capable of. If you don't like the idea of mens lives and some of the most expensive war machines todate under your command and their welfare dependant on you, then I wouldn't adivce it. If however you feel you are a natural leader, etc... then its is something looking into in more depth.
' Wrote:If you have Asthma and its a big enough issue for the Marines to close the door on you then a Infantryman in the US Army isn't a great idea. Between a Tank cremen and a Calvary Scout, its what you think you would be capable of. If you don't like the idea of mens lives and some of the most expensive war machines todate under your command and their welfare dependant on you, then I wouldn't adivce it. If however you feel you are a natural leader, etc... then its is something looking into in more depth.

Well the Marnes also have higher standards. I have nerves of steel and not much bothers me so I definitely want to be on the front lines and being the one that makes the difference not just order it. Though having a little authority would be nice, which is why I want to at least make it into the higher NCO ranks. Honestly I feel as if I put my mind to it and give it 110% I would be capable of any of the options.