Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Sanction Threats
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I haven't done this but considered doing it on several occasions merely as a warning to the player:

So some guy is talking OOC in system and you pm him saying: You'd better stop your ooc in system or you'll get sanctioned.

Is that deemed a threat? I know that I have no intention of making a threat in this instance, but what would the admins say?
' Wrote:I haven't done this but considered doing it on several occasions merely as a warning to the player:

So some guy is talking OOC in system and you pm him saying: You'd better stop your ooc in system or you'll get sanctioned.

Is that deemed a threat? I know that I have no intention of making a threat in this instance, but what would the admins say?
Just to be safe I'd say "Or you could/might get sanctioned".
Its probably a question of how you word it.

a) "You better stop that OORP, or you will get reported !" = Can be seen as a threat

b) "You better stop that OORP. You run the risk of someone reporting you for breaking the rules as posted on the forums" = Better, but still ambigous...

c) "Hey mate, it is against the rules to use Out Of Role Play talking in the system chat. Check out the forums for the rules on the server. Reply with /r in front, and I will help you." = Best.

A & L Guy
I'll go with b) I'm not always feeling saintly after all...

Thanks
We look for is this kind of thing:

"if you pirate me you will be sanctioned"
"if you pirate me, i admin, u banned"

and variations of this.

Admittedly it can get into grey areas. If you want send it via PM, mark it as oorp with // and only say it once - don't hassle them.
From what I've noticed so far it becomes an "imposing as admin"-situation as soon as you use the word "will". Since you are not an admin it's not your decision if he will get sanctioned or not.
Like Matt said - any time we see the words along the lines of 'you will get' or 'I will report' ... we tend to consider those as threatening sanctions.

It's actually pretty amusing when I'm not on my admin ship and someone starts doing that to me. We tend to have short chats several hundred K above the plane after that...
wait a sec... because i had a situation where i did threaten a particular player with a sanction

there was a pirate who i killed in a system.. then 3 minutes later he tries pirating someone else in that system. i quickly oorp shouted that id report him if he pirated and not leave the system...
it was a rather dire situation. but is that considered to be a sanctionable threat?
' Wrote:wait a sec... because i had a situation where i did threaten a particular player with a sanction
there was a pirate who i killed in a system.. then 3 minutes later he tries pirating someone else in that system. i quickly oorp shouted that id report him if he pirated and not leave the system...
it was a rather dire situation. but is that considered to be a sanctionable threat?

Yes. Mainly because you offered an ultimatum. "Leave or get sanctioned".
' Wrote:wait a sec... because i had a situation where i did threaten a particular player with a sanction
Would of been perfectly ok if you had said, "I killed you, the rules say you have to leave this system for 4 hours, people get reported and sanctioned/banned for breaking this rule." It's not a "threat", but it is valuable information to the person at the time.
Pages: 1 2