Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: I just found this mod...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So yeah. I remember buying Freelancer way back when, hearing the reviews bandied around that it was a true spiritual successor to Wing Commander: Privateer and not that pile of horrible that Privateer's *actual* sequel was...

I play it on and off, and I still love it, yet I never really looked into the modding community much. Though now my PC has a widescreen LCD (laptop) and I started poking around for ways to play Freelancer in widescreen resolutions.

I found some .ini hacks that would let me stretch the screen area (but leaves the HUD elements as if it was still a 4:3 monitor), wasn't really that great. While searching for more options, I stumbled upon Discovery, and also was pleasantly surprised to read that it offered a lot more than just widescreen resolutions.

So I've downloaded the mod, but then I read more info, and now I'm wondering if it wasn't all pointless.

Is this a multiplayer-only mod?

I hear about "Open SP" which just lets you go around, expore/trade/do generic missions, but I also read that this mod adds additional plot elements. Where do these come in? With this mod installed, can I still play the regular Freelancer campaign? Does the added story content in Discovery build upon the regular campaign?
Yes this is a multiplayer only mod.
And you cannot play campaign
...and welcome to Discovery, by the way.

You can run a private server off your computer, simulating an OpenSP environment, only it's a closed server.
Well, that's sort of fail. =( I don't really do multiplayer.

Are there any single-player specific mods that enable widescreen resolutions, and add as much to the game as Discovery does? And I don't mean those stupid ship packs that add ships from a ton of totally unrelated TV shows and movies (why do I want to fly Darth Vader's TIE fighter... in Freelancer?). I mean a real extension of Freelancer itself... but for single-player!

Edit: The wiki is kind of misleading, as it makes it sound like you can play normal Freelancer (with all the new ships and guns and whatnot) if you have Open SP disabled.
Well, you used to be able to play the campaign with the older mod versions . . But, I guess it got to the point that they cant enhance it without doing away with the campaign (For some reason) . . .

I would like to invite you to try the MP side of this mod . .. If not, you can still enjoy the SP side as well. I would still suggest you read in to some of the folklore here in the forums to give you some info . .

I think 4.83 version of this mod offered an awsome sp campaign. It was almost impossible to beat. Try multiplayer, you will like it.
' Wrote:I think 4.83 version of this mod offered an awsome sp campaign. It was almost impossible to beat. Try multiplayer, you will like it.

4.84 was even harder, and you can actually still get the 4.84 download from the forums.
It's hard for me to do multiplayer, as I don't have a reliable Internet connection at home. And I went through a few years of MMORPGs and that sort of "this game doesn't end" tends to suck away my attention from everything else.

Single-player is easier for me to manage since I tend to binge game, since campaigns usually... end.

Anyway, the older versions of Discovery will let me play single-player with story? The original quest line plus whatever is added on, yes? This is a little confusing.
' Wrote:Anyway, the older versions of Discovery will let me play single-player with story? The original quest line plus whatever is added on, yes? This is a little confusing.

4.84 will allow this. It allows the original storyline with new ships and stuff added on top of that. Best of all it can beaten and works.
Welcome:cool: