Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: To: The Zoner Alliance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
This thread.

I'm posting this here because the Zoner Alliance forum account has a locked inbox, and I'm not going to go chasing after each of the individual members to try and get an answer.

I don't appreciate you powerplaying my bar shut, with all the characters being flushed out without any chance of interaction. By all means, close the place down via legal action. But don't do it in such a manner that we can't say a word about it.

As it happens, Leeadama isn't particularly happy about you powerplaying his barman either, the character which he owns. Just bear that in mind.

I probably should have asked you lot first, but the way you have reacted is just plain inconsiderate and unnecessary.

Anyway, the point is, someone dropped the ball here. This is way below the standards I expected from the Zoner Alliance - I'd hope it was just the guy behind the account having a bad day, as opposed to a unilateral decision. And yes, RP consequences do exist. On both sides.
You guys need to exchange skype accounts and talk it out OORP.

You shouldn't have opened a thread like that without talking to Zoner players. And whoever roleplayed "shutting the bar down" shouldn't have done it without talking to you about it.
Meh, you opened a bar on a Zoner planet without talking with Zoner leaders???

Eeeh, duuuh!

Of course we shut you down, and without anything else to say.

I even recommended we sent in soldiers who forced you out by force.

Talk about Power gaming? How for the love of something, could you have even opened the bar without the Zoner leaders knowing, and when they found out, why wouldn't we shut you down? Meh, go figures ey? Fight power gaming with power gaming..
Look, sorry if this has ruffled feathers. Bowex has a strong precedent for operating on Gran Canaria, as does Bretonia in general. We own a portion of land, with a sovereign colony on it. This has all been RPed out in the past, and is a done deal - search Port Jackson.

The RP is we land supplies on the spaceport, which is the place you see in the docking cinematic. It is then transferred to Port Jackson via shuttles overland. The idea of this pub is a place where Bowex pilots, Bretonian settlers and anyone else who wants to interact can post and have some fun.

It's an independent venture run and owned by the bartender (who you lot powerplayed arresting), albeit funded by Bowex. If you're going to shut me down via imaginary laws you made up on the spot because you don't like my thread, at least write them up so I can comply with them later.

I mean, I doubt you'd make a fuss about anyone else making a watering hole there?

I'm helping here. I'm adding to the immersion of a multi-factional Gran Canaria. You're closing lines down by stonewalling RP opportunities as they emerge.

EDIT: BlueSpawn, you're right. But I wasn't sure who to contact as a 'spokesman' and I wasn't going to spend all day chasing delegates for answers and getting ignored / misleading information. This seems to have got the desired effect though, in that I have some semblance of an idea of what certain people were thinking.
the problem is not so much the opening of a bar.

the suggestion had also been to treat it like an insignificant formality. ( like closing that bar along with zoner ran bars that also "forgot" to inform the local authorities of their estblishments ) - hence taking it from the special case to the mundane.

now - it was of course discussed. - and a root problem is the lack of communication.

you wrote that you weren t in the mood for chasing down delegates and possibly get turned down. but thats the way disco works - under the vast agreement of the majority of players.

when you want a piece of equipment, you chase down delegates and risk to be turned down, when you want something from a faction in general, it is basic courtesy to ask for it - if that is not done, the other faction can be very relaxed and talk to you privately - or they can react harsher. both is within RP.

we could turn it around - lets say.. zoners had purchased a strip of land an important bretonian planet - and then they opened up businesses in other places, too. imagine the TAZ opening up a church right in new london without asking the brits about it - or the other zoner factions build up a trade center.

now thats different to a pub, you might say - but in essence, it is the same. its a spearhead for further incursions - if you consider them so. - and while bretonia would be quite agreeable when being asked first - they might also be afronted when they were not asked and just presented with facts.

".... and so, the zoner center for bretonian trade affairs was finished on edinbourgh avenue right in the center of the most valuable location on new london. its not only a new start for new relationships - but also a leg up for zoner friendly organizations in the heart of bretonia."

the above would not go uncommented - and being presented with a "finished" product - bretonia would react... possibly similar to zoners.

it was roleplayed that the pub was build - cause you couldn t find anyone to speak to - an alternative would have been to roleplay in an official / public post that your char seeked the allowence to open up a business ( i am sure someone would have answered ). - that would have initiated the roleplay a step earlier - of course - you might have got stuck for a while applying for the right to open up the bar - but then it could have been kept small scale ( no treaty like that of port jackson needed )

mind you - the roleplay isn t brought to a finish, it has just experienced a "reaction".
Planets...are...big?

Honestly, its an rp thread, about a tiny little building catering to the Bretonian shippers who, quite often, land on the planet.

Yeah, shut down every bit of foreign direct investment. Wonderful way to run your economy into the ground.
You'll discover that Bretonia, Liberty, etc, aren't in the habit of dissallowing foreign money to set up shop in their regions. Its a wonderful way to stimulate the local economy without spending government funds. But who're we kidding, nobody here understands why, exactly, free enterprise is so incredibly successful.

Fiefdoms, in the economy of money, or the economy of roleplay, do nothing positive to wealth. Restrictions are just that, and rather more negative than you think.

Another recourse would be for our pub to go underground, and be done in blatant violation of nonexistant zoner 'laws'. You'd of course try to shut down such a hidden pub, and be all the more blatant in your powerplay.

But, to be plainly clear, there's only so much anyone can do by powerplaying someone else's characters. Not talking to us, not getting us to agree to have our characters leave is a great way to have us simply ignore you. It is Jammie's thread, and he can have any posts he wants removed from it. Soo, there's the difference between rp and real life: We can write whatever we want, so long as it doesn't impact someone else's characters. And there, the zoner council crossed a line of sensibility in the real world.

In RP, the zoners have some level of fuzzily defined control of the planet. In the real world, Jammie can write whatever he likes, and gets the right to remove people's posts from his rp thread.
' Wrote:you wrote that you weren t in the mood for chasing down delegates and possibly get turned down. but thats the way disco works - under the vast agreement of the majority of players.

I was talking about this thread here in accordance to the bar fiasco; it totally slipped my mind about the original thread, because it just never occurred to me you'd actually consider reacting like this.

And you know what? If you choose to have a Zoner expat that wants to live on New London instead of deep space, and decides to set a bar up for any Zoners that want to pop in, as well as locals from around the area, while being sponsored by the Zoners - go for it. I know for certain the BPA won't burst in toting riot guns and throw everyone out, before closing you down and boarding the place up.

And while yes, there would be reactions... There would be scope for a reply. It would not be a, "that's it, show's over - get out or go to jail. [Endthread]". That's my other qualm. Deal with it and it's reactions instead of just swooping in and killing it.
I think the flaw of this entire debate is that all of you are pointing fingers at each other for a mistake that both of you made.

Nobody here has a higher moral ground.

First you need to understand and accept this. Then you need to go back to the drawing board and work something out for both sides.
As it was previously stated, a Bretonian company builds a bar on a Zoner planet without without so much as asking if it's OK. I think I would get about the same reaction if I decided to build a TAZ temple on New London, Crete or anywhere else without asking someone in authority first!

You talk of powergaming you. We Zoners have been more powergamed than you could possibly imagine. Port Jackson started out as that with Bowex rolling into Omega 49 claiming that it was Planet Sydney and that Bretonia found it first despite what the info cards say on the planet. We RP'd that out. Having that refugee camp gives no authority for you open up another business there just because you have the camp. Speaking of the Port Jackson agreement, when was the last time a payment was made? Right there Bowex could be held in breech. But, as Doc would say in RP, he's not about to make a group of refugees suffer for the actions of someone else.

We also had Freeport 1 bombed by the Wilde a good ways back. We were never told of this event and when we protested, we were told, "You WILL RP it." We did.

Freeport 11 was also bombed by the Nomads with the same end result. We RP'd that too!

And think about it from our perspective. There is Port Jackson, several BPA officers living on the planet, a Bretonian bar "magically" pops up and it's no secret the Crown has an interest in the planet. We also know that Bretonia is losing a war to Kusari and subsequently, territory. Being that Bretonia is an expansionist empire, that's pretty good motive for us to believe it would try would Liberty did with Pennsylvania. We found it but they took control of it. So excuse us if we see Bretonia trying to move in on us.

So, if you want your bar, ASK! Is that so hard to do? Others have asked to have a presence before and have been approved after some RP. I hope Bowex doesn't feel that it's high and mighty and doesn't need to.
Ok, you have valid points all the way through. I'll try to address them one by one.

1) Refer to my reply to Jinx. You're more than welcome to try establishing a building there. The BPA aren't going to storm it with riot guns...

2) Port Jackson started with us exploiting a political fact. Canaria was a "secret" and had thus never been reported to an official body, meaning it was technically unclaimed. We didn't say we found it first, but rather we claimed it first. We named it Sydney because using "Gran Canaria" would show it was on our nav-maps, which it shouldn't have been. To call it "Gran Canaria" would actually have been meta-gaming, funnily enough. After you told us it was GC, we carried on just because we're stubborn Bretonians, heh. Anyway, that's ancient history now, and was resolved by the Treaty. No-one in Bowex has called it Sydney in months (or however long ago the treaty was), to my knowledge.

As for payments, they were negated by the Treaty of Bethlehem. Yes, that bloody awful monster of a treaty. Technically, we're leasing the space around the Freeport in Omega 3 to you for exactly the same price as you're leasing Port Jackson to us. The monthly price for one is negated by the other. Yes, that was done on purpose.

3) Bowex sponsored that business, but inRP didn't own it. The proprietor who you arrested owned it. And I'm sorry to hear about the Willde/Nomad/(and if I remember right) Joker attacks. That kind of stuff must suck. :/

4) Trust me, there has been no unilateral move to encroach on Gran Canaria. I didn't even know the BPA was there until Charles M. Burns told me on Skype. Either way, I'm petitioning to the Bret Gov't to have them explicity thrown out of the system and banned from entering it. They shouldn't be there. The Treaty bans them from being there.

5) Trust me, I don't have a superiority complex about Bowex. Just asking didn't occur to me. I forgot. I just didn't think that a single, tiny, insignificant bar would make a difference. Like I said, there is no unilateral Bret movement on GC. I've just come back from a break and decided Bowex should be doing more about Port Jackson - that is it. As a part of that, I designed that bar to encourage members to RP their time planetside. I never foresaw that such a fuss would be kicked up about it.

Now, seeing as I've accidentally done this to death, shall we get on Skype and devise some sort of bureaucracy I can post on the forum? I'd like to work with you guys instead of against you after all.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5