Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Did something happen to mission difficulty?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Alright, so I've been mission-whoring in Eta the last days to stock up my bank account a little bit. And today I had to notice a sudden increase of the strength of the Corsair ossies, forcing me to abort a couple of mission even though they spawned in the first wave without invisibly bombing me before. Didn't happen yesterday, so I'm wondering if someone is working on it right now.

Anyone?
' Wrote:Alright, so I've been mission-whoring in Eta the last days to stock up my bank account a little bit. And today I had to notice a sudden increase of the strength of the Corsair ossies, forcing me to abort a couple of mission even though they spawned in the first wave without invisibly bombing me before. Didn't happen yesterday, so I'm wondering if someone is working on it right now.

Anyone?
Nothing changed there. Sometimes the Ossies are hard to kill, mainly if they spawn in such a way that they are very close to each other, and facing you. The game engines autoaim gets a bit confused, so even if you think you are firing on your selected target, it is firing on one of the other ships. That makes it seem like you are hardly doing any damage to your target.

I.E: instead of having 4 ossies like this : (|) (|) (|) (|), they come at you like this : (|)(|)(|)(|).
In the first case, it is easy to select the closest target with the R button, and take it out, then the next one.
In the second case, selecting the closest target with R, then firing on it, will make it brake a little, so one of the other ships are closer. The autoaim will then direct the fire to that ship, making it look like you aren't doing damage to it. This happens because they are so close together.

So in the worst case scenario when they are this close, the autoaim actually shifts your fire between all four targets, meaning you just do slight damage to their shields, while they come closer, so instead of having taken one or two out while they are at a distance, you are facing 4 ossies firing at you from close range.

THe only tactic working in this case, is to CD them, then thrust or cruise in an angle towards and aorund them, to a distance of 2.4-3.0 K, then head towards them again, and that way force the tight grouping to be broken. It will cost you some bots and bats, but if done right, they will then appear on your second pass, as a broken group, and one by one, so you can kill them.

A & L Guy
very interesting tactics... I also find sair ossies have a 'dead zone' if you get right on their engines. I've killed many osiri with my thresher this way (NPCs only does NOT work on players). using this dead zone is difficult at first, but if you can get used to it only 1 or 2 solaris turrets can hit you and none of those deadly razors.
and if done right you can preform this maneuver on a tight group of osiri. I havent tried this in a fighter/bomber, but it works with gunboats and cruisers.

http://img139.imageshack.us/i/screen424.png/
http://img401.imageshack.us/i/screen425.png/
I dislike the missions where you get Ossies. Especially in a fighter.
But what A&L said, when they get close together, autoaim somehow... randomly switches targets and in case of Ossies, it makes it rater impossible, since you usually don't have the fireworks to take down all four at the same time. What Feldspar told sounds goot tho, have to try! Never noticed it, I more like tend to press all buttons at once, and usually, I dodge the fire.
' Wrote:I also find sair ossies have a 'dead zone' if you get right on their engines.

I was doing missions with a Thresher pilot yesterday in Delta and he showed me that. I was amazed; he didn't get a scratch on him. He says it only works with one since the others would just rip him in half.

My QQ is when you can't see the Ossies but they see you. You spend a good 30 seconds moving around trying to find them while they waste all your regens.
I had more the impression that the would deal more damage than usually instead of me doing less. Probably just had bad luck with the razor- and pulse-refire then.
Also, I'm flying a Sarissa, no CD-tactics for me =/ Yet I have the advantage that problems only show up with 5 of them, or multiple waves (up to 2x5 ossies in Eta <.<)

' Wrote:very interesting tactics... I also find sair ossies have a 'dead zone' if you get right on their engines. I've killed many osiri with my thresher this way (NPCs only does NOT work on players). using this dead zone is difficult at first, but if you can get used to it only 1 or 2 solaris turrets can hit you and none of those deadly razors.
and if done right you can preform this maneuver on a tight group of osiri. I havent tried this in a fighter/bomber, but it works with gunboats and cruisers.

http://img139.imageshack.us/i/screen424.png/
http://img401.imageshack.us/i/screen425.png/

Has someone ever been able to figure out the exact turret placement on them? They indeed have their weak spots at the rear, even if you are flying a ship twice as large as them. yet I didn't figure out where exactly it starts.
' Wrote:Also, I'm flying a Sarissa, no CD-tactics for me =/ Yet I have the advantage that problems only show up with 5 of them, or multiple waves (up to 2x5 ossies in Eta <.<)
You have problems with them in a Sarissa ? My personal record in one mission is 18 Ossies killed. First wave 5 ossies, second wave 5 ossies, new waypoint wave 4 ossies, second wave 4 ossie. Made 990 K mission pay, 180 x 100K credit cards, and filled my hold with Corsair pilots, H-fuel, Prisoners, and Niobium, plus 4 Tizzies. Made about 20 Mill on that mission alone.
But then again I fly a Bullhead. Thrusters + CD's are great in those missions.

A & L Guy
Well, the Sarissa has one huge problem: It's own size. If you are targeting them up front the nose of your ship is already in range of the enemy razors even though your HUD says you're at 2k distance. The only way to avoid that is to fire to the side, but that again makes you more vulnerable to primary turrets.
Guess I should simply go and finally buy that Thresher then.