Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: idea to make 'docking' with carriers work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
okay I know virtually nothing about modding, and I dont know if this is possible, BUT I'm just going to throw this idea out there. maybe someone already suggested this, but to me I like the idea and before you post your REAG about how it wont work remember i have no knowledge of modding at all.

So I thought why not make docking on carriers and other battleships possible by tuning the formation with carriers a bit. is it possible to make fighters become invisible and intangible when in formation with a battleship/carrier? and is it possible to put a limit on the number on how many fighters enter form with a carrier

just make the ships that are able to dock with docking ports and not just more, turn 'invisible' as well as 'intangible' upon entering formation with a large ship. that way it wont cause any problems with formation 'bumping' if the fighter is intangible and appears to be docked when invisible.

here is an idea about how many ships each type of larger ship can carry (if its even possible):
generic battleships: 3-4
kusari and rhienland battleship: 5
aquilon zypher & geb: 8
liberty carrier: 10
rogue/molly Scylla: 2
slave liner: 3
luxury/prison liner: 3
royal liner: 4

so... the main question is; is this even possible?? I'd really like to know.
Well, its been brought up numerous times. Not about to happen. People say abuse, people say its from other mod. Means people dun want it. I do want it. But meh.
this isnt real 'dockind' its more like a false docking where formation makes fighter dissapear... it just an idea... this has NOTHING to do with actual docking with other players, thats crazy talk.
Guys, read before you post, k? Anyways, It sounds very nice. Better than people complaining about how buggy and glitchy it might be (which it isn't).
I would rather see a carrier with no offensive capabilities but stocked up with bots/bats and ability to carry fighter/bomber ammunition. Loads of it.
This is rather a clever idea....I posted along those lines a long time ago but did not think about the intangeble aspect (no hitbox). The pilots in essence could become Gunners on the Battleship. While the BS is flying in a certain direction.

But y'know every advantage should come with a price....
Here is what I think the price should be...

So when the ships are docked on the BS they have no shield (I know they are intangible).
Also make Docking and undocking a timed event (Lets say 30 seconds) so it can not be abused during fights.

What I mean is some one says /dock, the ships drop shield gets in Battleship formation and takes 30 seconds to dock aka becomes invisible and intagible (no hitbox). For those 30 seconds the ship can be fired upon and killed easily as the pilot has no control over the ship.

When the players says /undock, the ships becomes visible and tangible(hitbox on), stays in formation with BS flying the ship and 30 seconds later the ships is released and its shields come up. In those 30 seconds where the shield is down, the pilots is totally helpless with the direction of the ship.

As the BS starts failing fighters will try to get out.... when small explosions start happening, right before the big boom, the ships become tangible (hitbox on) though they might or might not still be cycling out of /undock (30 second delay). If BS goes boom, all fighters and bombers in formation take a full blast of a BS explosion with their shields down. If they survive, they are immediately "undocked".

What do you guys think ?

Edit: I would keep the number of docked ship relatively low compared to what you are thinking..max 4. The reason being what the firepower of 10 fighters + 1 BS could do to all ships.
hmm nice idea
' Wrote:hmm nice idea

I like how he doesn't even attempt to hide a +1.
Unlike me, I'm pro at making it look like I actually have an opinion on the topic.
Except in this post.
I'm feeling rebellious.
' Wrote:This is rather a clever idea....I posted along those lines a long time ago but did not think about the intangeble aspect (no hitbox). The pilots in essence could become Gunners on the Battleship. While the BS is flying in a certain direction.

But y'know every advantage should come with a price....
Here is what I think the price should be...

So when the ships are docked on the BS they have no shield (I know they are intangible).
Also make Docking and undocking a timed event (Lets say 30 seconds) so it can not be abused during fights.

What I mean is some one says /dock, the ships drop shield gets in Battleship formation and takes 30 seconds to dock aka becomes invisible and intagible (no hitbox). For those 30 seconds the ship can be fired upon and killed easily as the pilot has no control over the ship.

When the players says /undock, the ships becomes visible and tangible(hitbox on), stays in formation with BS flying the ship and 30 seconds later the ships is released and its shields come up. In those 30 seconds where the shield is down, the pilots is totally helpless with the direction of the ship.

As the BS starts failing fighters will try to get out.... when small explosions start happening, right before the big boom, the ships become tangible (hitbox on) though they might or might not still be cycling out of /undock (30 second delay). If BS goes boom, all fighters and bombers in formation take a full blast of a BS explosion with their shields down. If they survive, they are immediately "undocked".

What do you guys think ?

Edit: I would keep the number of docked ship relatively low compared to what you are thinking..max 4. The reason being what the firepower of 10 fighters + 1 BS could do to all ships.

30 seconds seem too long for me, IMO. If my memory serves me right, most capital ships don't reach 25 seconds for complete destruction. So I suggest maybe 20-25 seconds-ish?

Also... Max 4 is applicable for liners and normal BS, like Lib dready...

But for Carriers, take out most of their guns, give them generous loads of bots/bats and hull/shields, and make their fighter capacity to 8.
i like that idea, too - its a creative and alternative idea to "real" docking.

might be easier to make - but it would need quite some tweaking.

- docking should still take time - as well as undocking, or you can just "vanish" and "reappear" instantly
- docking / undocking requires a console message in /local

problematic is that it switches mesh / hitbox / skin to an invisible state - meaning, the ship is swapped. - wonder if thats possible.

but its a really good idea
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5