Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Rheinland Assault Carrier
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Well, it was brought up in the discussion of the wonderful model done by Korolia about a Rheinland Carrier.
Since they focus on snub craft now it kind of makes sense they would made an Aircraft carrier of some sort.

Anyways this really isn't a submission model. I ended up getting today off from work for the 4th and I continue to be bored. I just thought it would be fun to build something real quick. I may add more details to it later but it's not a big deal.

When I was creating it, I figured it would be small like a GEB, about the same size as a Liberty dread. With better turning and speed then previous RM designs.

The large opening in the front would be the hanger deck.

[Image: rhiecar.png]

[Image: rm_battlegroup.png]

Okay since one picture is worth a thousand words: This is a size comparison
[Image: carrier_comp.png]

Textured picture of the carrier
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/zeo...rrier_text2.png
That.. Actually.. kinda..

Huh...
Some parts of it seem a bit underdetailed, and I think it could use some of those pillar things on the corners of the main block, but otherwise it's a solid design.

I don't see the need for more details. Textures can fill that, right?
Looks like a supermassive Landing ship.
:mellow:
The pillars along the bottom and those Cogs along the side don't feel much like a Rheinland design. You've got the general shape of the Rheinland Capship scheme down, but you need to study the finer details a little more I think.

Also, I find the concept of an "Assault" Carrier which has a fighter bay in the nose of a ship to be very flawed.

An Assault Carrier's role is to deliver the fighters into the battlefield safely, which means it's charging headlong into the battle. The fighters are launching from it's nose, which is would be where the ship would be taking the most damage as it pushes forward. This puts the fighters at too great of a risk to launch, and the ship would likely have to expose it's broadside in order to launch the fighters safely, which is also a bad thing.

I'd suggest giving the ship a heavily armoured nose and have the fighters either launch fron multiple bays on the side of the ship, or from the bottom of the ship. Have a docking port at the back of the ship where fighters can return to refuel and rearm.
' Wrote:I don't see the need for more details. Textures can fill that, right?

Not really, it genuinely isn't detailed enough, especially for something of lib dread size.

Plus entire chunks of it are missing detail at all.
' Wrote:I don't see the need for more details. Textures can fill that, right?

Definitely no. A cube with textures is still a cube.
Will anyone replace Red Hessian and Rheinland Unlawful cruisers?
' Wrote:Will anyone replace Red Hessian and Rheinland Unlawful cruisers?
Probably. But it's hard to build Capital Ships for a non-existant style. AoM came up with the Fighters and the Gunboat, but I dunno if he's still around.

I've been throwing ideas around for a while, but nothing worth modelling yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14