Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Mines?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What the best way to use mines? I haven't really found any effective way myself.
depends on the enemy. i guess you don t need a tactic vs. NPCs...

there are 2 kinds of styles - ( roughly ) - when its about pvp. one is chasing you and trying to stick on your six, the other one jousting. if someone is sticking on your back, you can just occasinally drop them - but its not too hard to dodge a mine - as they are generally slower than cruise speed. so what you can do is - not fly at full travel speed, but rather at like 75% .. when the other one slows down to still stick on you - you can drop them and the mine has a chance to catch up.

if you face a jousting enemy, you can try to drop them as he passes close to you. but again, the chance of the mine to really hit is not too great - you have to hope for the flight path of the enemy to cross the mine - cause the mine won t be quick enough to chase and hit him on its own.

i m sure there are other uses for mines, too - but haven t found them yet.

i m mostly doing pve fights anyway - and they are good when you re a fighter - and are facing a capship NPC. they can take out the weapons of caps with their blast radius.
I use one mine after ever jousting pass. If someone is on my tail I drop a couple and try to whip around while they are dodging. True, they don't hit often but when they do it can turn the tide in your favor.

Then there are those that just spam them like crazy. They are just creating their own loss that way.
I haven't gone after any humans yet with mines but I know against computer opponents in fighters they don't seem very useful.
I use em against Nomads mostly...They tend to pursue in packs...so when im targeting one and have a group on my back I pop a couple mines and do damage to the whole group...good damage too since they don't carry shields.
A bit of warning, a smart enemy will notice patterns in your mine use and use them against you. A CD will cause them to explode if they are near the target.

I've defeated many an opponent this way.
' Wrote:A bit of warning, a smart enemy will notice patterns in your mine use and use them against you. A CD will cause them to explode if they are near the target.

I've defeated many an opponent this way.

SHH...your not sposed to tell people that!! :)
I tried to be discrete about that clue but you just let it out of the bag.
You have to be cautious if you use Nuclear mines if you are being chased. When you drop them, then hit the thruster very quick, because if your enemy shoots the mines, and you are still in the Nuclear's big blast range, you take serious damage, if you fly a vanilla fighter this could even mean instant death for you.
I only use these on Capships and on fighters who think they're weapon platforms ( when they just SIT THERE and shoot at me).

In a bombing pass at a Capship I usually drop one, I drop 3 nukes while flying past the "weapon platform" and they either die or start moving, it works.

I NEVER spam mines, you end up killing yourself or pissing off NPCs, or hitting allies. I still liked the old supernova mines.... ^_^ many a time I ended a PvP by dropping one and reversing into it with my shields still up, they had a MASSIVE range ( compared to the nuclear mines anyway).. they destroyed any fighter in 2 hits.
They are very useful against gunboats (like my previous Destroyer) as well. I should know...:dry:

Pages: 1 2