Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Taus
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Now I'm no Ench so I'm not doing any BBCode magic, sadly, but please bear with me.

TL;DR: Let's all stop being dicks to each other one at a time and with time we'll all get along great.

Full version:

Okay so, basically, I finally have the ability to change a huge qualm of mine I've had about some stuff in the Taus these years.

There's not just in-RP hostility around, there's OORP hostility too. One individual treats another like crap, the second one a third one, and the cycle continues. That's not very productive.

I've instituted some rules about fairness in my faction, which'll, besides more deaths from our side at first (yeah, I don't mind that, and people need to learn that winning fights is not the most important thing here), hopefully result in some others who've been treated badly in the past to turn around and try to understand this is all a game we're playing and things would get better.

Personally, I have a lot of in-RP enemies but I don't count a single one among my real enemies. Why? Because they're no threat. And people need to learn that. There's great people on all sides and in all likelihood, were they not on different sides, they'd talk all day about how awesome the others are.
So I want people to try and look more past the ingame hostilities and separate them from real ones and actually have good relations between each other.

For example, I remember a time when I killed and got killed by the RoS daily and we always liked each other outside a fight. (Not that I'm saying anything against the other factions. It's just that the RoS I met most frequently) Why? Because they were (and are) good players, we were good players, and we had a kickass time whenever we'd meet.

Change has to start from somewhere. I'll bet that at one point every single person out here had fairness and fair play in mind. Until they got angry at something someone else did to them. So they said to themselves, why should we play fair and get taken advantage of, and they stopped playing fair.
And so on and so forth.
The trick is, though, keep to your principles and stuff will change for the better with time. New players in this area need to see something good when they barge in, and not be taught to hate their in-RP enemies and deliberately troll them or anything.

Don't get me wrong. Neither side is getting blamed more than the other. In fact, there are no sides.

All I am saying is that I'd like everyone to remember that just because someone else does a crappy thing, that's no excuse for them to do the same. And yes, with time, people will see that that way of thinking and playing is possible after all and good in the long run for all of us.

Now as I've said, I've instituted some rules about fairness and such in my faction, intend to enforce them, as well as encourage people to be people in this game too, not just anonymous executioners.
Now, that'll mean that we'll probably get taken advantage of by some individuals, while some others will, hopefully, behave the same way we do towards them and with time both Us™ and Them™ will start acting better towards each other.

I also nicely call upon anyone who is wronged by any of my people to come talk to me. Objectively, without anger or ranting. Just give me the facts, be straight with me, don't beat around the bush, and I'll do what needs to be done and what is right.
To both people on my end and the other, I urge you to, when you're wronged, suck it up and keep acting nice towards others because in 99% of cases, the one you're a dick to later was never a dick to yourself.
They™ are not all the same. They™ are individuals.

Now, all this is very idealistic and kind of promising to future quality of gametime in the Taus between our respective NPC factions.
I'm taking a risk and a leap of faith here, so please bear with me and give this a chance.
While I am certain that short term, my faction would be much better off hiding its shortcomings and spinning everything like we're ideal, we aren't. We have flaws and we'll work on them.
However, I'd sincerely appreciate it if people wouldn't abuse this vulnerability and willingness to lay all the cards out on the table by either blowing this out of proportion so our already frail image is further damaged, or by deliberately flaming.

As I said, I, and we, are willing to talk about anything, as long as we can speak sincerely and without obvious visible anger. Let's be civil.

And lastly, to the players inside the Colonial Remnant.
Yes, I know that a lot of times we have been wronged, ganked, trolled, whatever. Some of us have done it too. Some have done it because it was done to them and they couldn't take it anymore, and some might've even done it first.
We can't know who shot the first bullet of douchebaggery. And it doesn't matter. Two wrongs don't make a right, and I expect you all to follow my instructions about fair play 'cause they're not a request.

As for our respective esteemed "enemies". While we are very prepared to change some of the ways we've been handling stuff, be nicer and all that which goes along with it, don't expect us to deliberately let you kill us all so we can appease you. And we don't expect the same from you either.

However, let's all try and not overkill things. First, let's both try and not attack the other side right next to their respective bases. The fact that those bases are standing and have been standing for a long time tells us that in-RP we should mostly die when we try to attack them. So let's not do it.

Also, I don't mind being attacked by 2 ships and I don't mind my people doing it. In some cases, that goes for 3 ships too.
In larger battles, it's generally enough to have only 1-2-3 more people in order to gain a significant upper hand.

RP is important. And not many go on suicidal duels in-RP. Using tactics and superiority in guns and numbers is a great and even encouraged tactic. Up to a point. I am sure we can all understand where approximately that thin line lies.

And in the worst case scenario, we can at least shoot a PM after the fight, apologizing if we took it far and either congratulating the other side for a good fight or for being the better fliers this time.

Also, please remember the following:[font=Garamond]
YOU AREN'T DEAD. YOU AREN'T DEAD. YOU AREN'T DEAD.

You win some - you lose some. You lose a huge fleet today, and guess what, tomorrow's a bright new day and not much has changed. The models are the same, the stats are the same, the bases are still there, we the people are still there.
Winning is not the only important thing.

If you don't care about winning in PvP battles, great. I like you. Please have fun, RP, be nice to us and we'll be nice to you, consider our door always open for any sort of conversation about anything pertaining to the game or outside the game. And don't take things to heart too strongly.

If you do care about winning in PvP battles, that's also okay. Winning is fun and it puts you in the right mood. Just know that everyone likes winning and everyone hates losing when they had no chance of survival whatsoever. If you find yourself losing, try to get better and eventually win. We all started somewhere. Win-Go on-Lose-Respawn-Get better-win-lose-wrince and repeat.

And whether you win or lose, do so with dignity and respect for the other side.

Now, comments, suggestions, complaints, anything, is welcome.. Or you can simply ignore this. Just let's keep this thread in mind in the future and relook it at times, and remember the real reason why we're all here - to be part of a community of people, players, with common interests, who've come here to play a game, relax, and have fun.
I've had a bit of experience in Tau-23 from my Hogosha and my mercenary, and there's a lot of stuff there. Ore, the attendant miners, the attendant pirates, the attendant lawfolk, and the attendant <strike>vultures</strike> mercenaries (remember kiddies, it's okay to make fun of a group if you're a part of it) but also the usual mix of complete pricks, saints, and everyday decent people. It's important not just to deal with the bad, but to realize that there are some pretty cool people in Tau-23; the miners that negotiate with pirates rather than alt-tabbing to call for backup while cruising for the system wall, the lawfolk that order reinforcements to do recon rather than dogpile the opposition, the pirates that give miners a reason to consider paying, the mercenaries that offer their services to whichever side is outnumbered, the list goes on. Good people.

Now, remember that there are good people when you think about what to tell that battleship that just arrived on the scene of a furball. Yes, if he's flinging battle razors around you're a bit more likely to win- and the enemy is far more likely to withdraw and give you the field. However, if you're enjoying the furball as it is now, they probably are too- so why mess with it? Tell the battleship to coordinate the fight from a safe distance while looking out for reinforcements, perhaps- remember that battleships are people too (shocking though that idea is to some). No need to drive the enemy away from an exhilarating fight, even if it means you lose, who cares? You had fun doing so, and this is a game after all. Destroying enemy ships is not victory by default- fun is victory. I would far rather die attempting to drag down a superior PvPer than to jump them and get a kill- more adrenaline, more fun.

I'm surprised I was able to keep the above paragraphs even halfway coherent. Mornings do not usually see me accomplish that. I'll cut this short and leave my little mantra for your consideration:

Seek fun and you shall find it. Seek something to Q_Q about and you'll find that too. I choose to have fun.

Happy mining/thieving/defending/merc'ing, it's a pleasure to mine-with/steal-from/protect/sell-services-to y'all.
AMEN BROTHER!

in the name of our almighty god.

"Its a game, I can die"

In the name of me Cheesus Christ, BE FANTASTIC TO ONE ANOTHER!

In the name of bill and ted, Be Excellent to each other.

In the name of Discoveries sanity, give the "I got killed Q_Q" a rest
do i have to give an engagement notice to the ore, or RP to boredom first?
maybe they jump into my ship automaticly
What you should pay attention to is at least PMing the ore after the mining to apologize for making it burst.
I like the part when you say that you don't have to care about a single player versus player victory because tomorrow all the statistics will be reseted.

Make me think . It might be better to consider hostile ship like an interactive entity more then an opponent.
''death'' is difficult to accept but is not a big deal since its just a temporary conclusion that is an art to control.
Thats the point of '' video game'' , losing is just an alternate ending.
Thank you.
' Wrote:....RP is important. And not many go on suicidal duels in-RP. Using tactics and superiority in guns and numbers is a great and even encouraged tactic. Up to a point. I am sure we can all understand where approximately that thin line lies....

..You win some - you lose some. ..

...Please have fun, RP, be nice to us and we'll be nice to you, consider our door always open for any sort of conversation about anything pertaining to the game or outside the game. ...

... If you find yourself losing, try to get better and eventually win. We all started somewhere. Win-Go on-Lose-Respawn-Get better-win-lose-wrince and repeat.

And whether you win or lose, do so with dignity and respect for the other side.

Heck, i love it all.
/signed at all, Swift.

The bad blood in the Taus need to stop.. It tires people, and it makes them have no fun here.
Great post, Swift. Honestly, I stopped bringing my 101st char to Tau 23 because it just wasnt fun anymore. You KNEW you were going to get in a fight, and you were probably gonna get ganked. Add in the usual OOC and people making asses of themselves and it just got to be no fun anymore. I hope you can turn things around, I really do; the Tau's need a good cleaning from all sides. Too many people take it personally instead of just realizing its a GAME, its supposed to be FUN.
Not just T23, but the entire server, I guess.

Look at it this way: win or loose, you live to fight another day, and if you try just a bit, maybe you learn something from this current failure, and win next time.
Pages: 1 2 3