Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Hay
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been a huge fan of Freelancer (I play through the story mode about twice a year) and decided I wanted to get a bit more out of the game..seeing as there is no sequel planned for the foreseeable future.

I understand this is somewhat of an RP server, however I have never been an especially heavy RPer.
How friendly is this server to light-RPers with an interest in combat? I have always enjoyed Freelancer for the combat mechanics, though I've never really tried combat in the MP version.
I was wondering what the population is like during the night (I'm on the US East coast)
I'll probably getting on later today and messing around. I'll try and keep all the rules in mind
Just chill in Connecticut and you'll be fine as it is a out of role play system. I'm certainly not going to encourage someone to ignore or skimp on the role play side. Really, you should try it. Adds so much to the game.

Really, if you just want to fight, I'd look to another mod.
Most players stick to game-RP (which is where you RP say a...police but for combat, better ships and so on) so you don't have to hardcore RP everywhere you go.

Just stick to the bounds of your ID and RP before attacks and you will be sweet.

Oh and welcome to discovery ;)
Thanks for the replies...I think I might like to play as a BH or mercenary of some form. how does that system work?

I do plan to do some RP as long as I'm playing, probably wont be writing any bios or anything..hehe
Oh, well that's different then. I'll just leave this here.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye on that. Whats a good way to get started on getting outfitted for combat?
I assume trading back and forth and running missions mostly.
You need about 30 million for a top of the line fighter, all kitted out, more or less if you have to buy overpriced weapons because somepeople are tightwads with tech.

To answer the question, you need to trade, missions dont make cash, unless its one of thos emissions you neeed a cpa ship for,Just beware pirates, who will either:

A) Demand a reasonable amount, and provide enjoyable banter (rare)
B) Demand reasonable amount, and nothing more (Commonly Uncommon)
c) demands unreasonable amounts (Common)
D) Demands Massivly unreasonable amounts and opens fire the second he deliveres the demand (Uncommon)
E) Demands all your cargo, and begins firing after he stops talking. When you drop it, he shoots it on the spot (UnCommon)

Sorry if Im soundingly like a pessimist, but thats what I mostly run into out there
Welcome to Discovery!
Although Bounty Hunting and Merc Business can be fun, but you'll need to check a few things before starting to pew pew people:PIf you check This Post in the Rules thread, You'll see that it says if you want to shoot someone to claim a Bounty on them, It must have been posted on the Forums (Bounty Board) First, which means, No pew pew unless the target is Bountied. And also, As the Rule 6.10 says Reputation Sheet of your Ship must reflect who you're working for and who you're shooting at (It's best if you take a Bribe of the faction you're planning to work for, and also shoot some NPCs from the Factions you're gonna hunt so they'll be Hostile - Main purpose of this rule is that Bases/NPCs of the factions you hunt will be Hostile to you), and also, If you're going with a Merc Char, you'll have to check the Tech Chart (Link in the last part of the post) to make sure the Guns and Ship you want to use is allowed (And if It's White, means you'll be needing permission from the Official Player Faction which owns the Guns/Ship before using it). I think Rule-wise, these are the main things you need to know about Bounty Hunting... Also, Each thread in Bounty Board says which factions can collect, and some Boards (Like the Corsairs Board or the MercNet) are for Registered Mercenaries only, so keep that in mind. Other than that, Although you said you're not a hardcore RPer, but try to type in a few creative lines before starting the fireworks and you'll be just fine, and will enjoy the game nonetheless.;)

Also, Check these Links as well, They might come in Handy;
  • Complete Version of Server Rules
    - Reading and Understanding all these (Even though it might get a bit confusing in the beginning) is essential for Survival (!) on this Server!
  • Community & Forum Rules
    - Aside from this link, there are certain rules for each Sub-Forum as well. You can find those in pinned threads of each Sub-forum.
  • Technology Usage Chart
    - Want to make a New character with a Specific ID? First read the ID and its restriction carefully, then check this chart to see What Ships and Guns you can use with it.
  • Discovery Wiki
    - Need Information about any Faction, Ship, or Equipment? You'll find what you need here.
  • Server Commands
    - There are many useful Commands available on This server, which are really useful, You can find a complete list on the Wiki Page.
So, Feel free to ask anything you if you have any other questions, and ... Enjoy Your stay!;)