Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: nuclear guns?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
well i was thinking....we got nuclear mines...so how bout a nuclear laser or something?

its pretty simple physics wise to take radioactive particles and use a magnetic bottle to funnel them into a powerfull laser

i was thinking it would make a cool,fun new weapon type

something like these stats

1000 meter range

25.00 refire

1000 meter / sec speed (hey,nuclear explosions in a magnetic bottle = speed of light)

100 hull dmg per hit

50 sheilds dmg per hit

500 energy per shot

ok i admit the energy cost might need to be tinkered with....but think about it....this would be something that would actually make huge lumbering craft with enourmous powercores appealing....it would inject some variety into things,as not everyone would be going for mostly agile and firepower balanced craft....also as a sort of turret gun for battleships,though the energy cost would need to be upped in the battleships case

i got the idea when i was watching the history channel and a show about weird weapons was on.....it was showcasing a U.S. military idea for a nuclear feild artillery cannon that was tested but never put into mass production

anywho thats my idea.....this should make it so the bigger craft actually have a chance out there...and maybe cap ships could actually fend off fighters
You are suggesting a laser powered by a nuclear reaction.

Our ships run on H-fuel.

As such, I hereby direct you to the Justice Mk I.

EDIT: To analyze the weapon you just proposed, mounted on fighters it would be just plain silly, and mounted on anything larger it would be absurdly broken. Capital ships are not meant to mow down fighters, they are meant to destroy other capital ships, hold ground (if you don't believe me on that one, I can tell you a story about the GRN-KNF battle event), etc. Capital ships also don't have to fear fighters. Bombers, yes, though their effectiveness is dramatically reduced if you have a fighter or gunboat chasing them.
Quote:1000 meter range

25.00 refire

1000 meter / sec speed (hey,nuclear explosions in a magnetic bottle = speed of light)

100 hull dmg per hit

50 sheilds dmg per hit

500 energy per shot

Oh boy, I hope its not for fighters. Its such a big energy hog, 12 500 per seconds for 1 gun ( some cruiser turret don't even match such) , I know you said bigger craft anyway.

oh, perhaps it is for capital ship fight? 2500 per second... I don't think so either unless it is: Next sentence

Then I think that you mean a gun that do Area damage, original idea, but what with the game mechanic?, maybe the future Solaris with the same restricted range but now almost not dodge able. In this case someone stacking 4 of these on a cruiser would rip fighters and bomber in a matter of few seconds.

Its not a bad idea, but its not ideal yet.

Either revise the stat or precise its functionality on which ship and how it would be.
well thats the point....i admit that the stats are not perfect

its just that everyone pretty much goes with the same craft that they can use within there respective tech chart blocks

i mean cmon.....the shf is barely used...as are alot of the bigger and more cumbersome vhf....

a skilled pilot with all the strafe keys mapped...can easily fly a hf or lf straight at a vhf and then slide to the side of the oncoming jousting blast with ease..without even so much as a scratch (i should know thats how i defeated an shf with a stinger vhf before)......

for example the rheinland mjolnir shf....i think it is the most unused ship ingame

the whole idea for big craft like shf fighters is a sort of hyperpower laser that drains your entire powercore in one second...yet has a huge refire rate so that you might actually land a majority of that damage in the 1 second provided

and YES i know the version for battleship would need to be manipulated...or perhaps for sanity`s sake not make a battleship one

i think this is a must really...it would prevent light fighters from trying to joust cumbersome shf and actually getting away with it....it could be made so that this gun has very little rotational arc (jsut enough so that it can hit a target coming straight at you)....but otherwise it would be like the foward gun on cap ships.....so that way shf and so on would actually be feared jousters....and this would actually make agile craft have to think twice before jousting soemthign that shouldnt be jousted
Not to mention that 25.00 refire will literally kill the server because of the lag from 25 shots per second...
Wait... didn't I already post in this thread?

Oh, here it is.

http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?sh...=74732&st=0
Kaz Wrote:Not to mention that 25.00 refire will literally kill the server because of the lag from 25 shots per second...
You weren't around when chain guns were 33.33. It was fine.
It wasn't. That's why they were fixed.
' Wrote:You weren't around when chain guns were 33.33. It was fine.

Actually, some of the projectiles lagged their way out of existence. Thus why we don't have them anymore.
From a technical standpoint you're talking about turning minute amounts of alpha and beta radiation into a beam weapon. You realize that ships are radiation-shielded, and the amounts of radiation you could harvest wouldn't be enough to overcome that, right? You'd probably do more damage to the ship by hiding some uranium in it's cargohold.
Pages: 1 2