Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: What ever happened?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Tried a search, couldn't find it. Does anyone know what became of that idea that went something like the following?
--------

"If a ship is EK'ed and has all their weapons powered down, then the radar detection range could be reduced from 14k to 4k."

-------

I was hoping to find out what happened to this idea, if it was ever implemented, and if not why so.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I hope your not talking about the "c" word, because that word is taboo around here.

If you are talking about it, it has been brought up many a time, and each time, hammered down hard enough to pass through the planet.
He's talking about passive stealth, not active stealth.

But still, probably wont get implemented.
I don't see any reasonable explanation how passive stealth will hurt RP in any fashion. What are the arguments of those, who oppose such an idea?
' Wrote:I don't see any reasonable explanation how passive stealth will hurt RP in any fashion. What are the arguments of those, who oppose such an idea?

Traders could easily abuse it. I mean, 4k?

*Trader docks with a tradelane
*ZOMG HOSTILE RED appears 14k away
*exit tradelane and thrust/ek away, while making sure that they don't go within 4k of the pirate (of course, assuming that YOU can still sense them at 14k, while they can't sense you)

Then again, something similar can't hurt. Just maybe not 4k. A slight decrease shouldn't be too bad.
' Wrote:Traders could easily abuse it. I mean, 4k?

*Trader docks with a tradelane
*ZOMG HOSTILE RED appears 14k away
*exit tradelane and thrust/ek away, while making sure that they don't go within 4k of the pirate (of course, assuming that YOU can still sense them at 14k, while they can't sense you)

Then again, something similar can't hurt. Just maybe not 4k. A slight decrease shouldn't be too bad.

The suggestion was that you would have to "shut down" your own ship in order to activate passive stealth, which means...
-no shields
-no weapon power
-no engine power (thus you cant travel with it on)
-no sensors of your own

Mostly it was intended for setting up ambushes and such.
Tenacity is correct. I was talking about passive stealth. Lobster Lord's link is close to the one I remember reading, but isn't the exact one.

The idea, as best I can remember it, was to reduce the radar detection range of a ship if their systems were "shut down" (EK, weapons deactivated). They were still able to move, and certain actions would render them detectable at the standard range (being fired upon, tapping thrusters, dropping mines, reactivating weapons, or dropping out of EK).

Theoretically in this version, one could get up to speed ahead of time and then EK, etc. in order to sneak up on a target, or to avoid another ship. However, this idea also suggested that an energy drain similar to cruise drain be implemented with this feature, so that ships were unable to regenerate shields while "shut down", and would also have to wait a few seconds after "starting up" their systems for weapon energy to return to full. If this were added as a limiting factor, then pirates could still use it to sneak up on miners, but they'd have to drop back into the normal operating mode early enough to be able to shoot and regenerate shields. The same would apply to traders.

The "cruise-drain" feature also kills most of the potential for it to be abused by traders or smugglers as it leaves them without shield regeneration, weapons, and any way to change course.

I think the main point of the original idea was for pirates trying to sneak up on miners in ore fields and/or smugglers trying to avoid patrols.
' Wrote:The suggestion was that you would have to "shut down" your own ship in order to activate passive stealth, which means...
-no shields
-no weapon power
-no engine power (thus you cant travel with it on)
-no sensors of your own

Mostly it was intended for setting up ambushes and such.

Ah, I see.
Sorry, my misunderstanding, I thought EK meant, well, just EK. :(

Well in that case, theres nothing really bad about it. :nyam: