Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Nanite Revolution
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I want you guys to have a think about something called the "Nanite Revolution"

NANITE REVOLUTION

Nanotechnology went from being just a pipe dream to a reality. These tiny little robots were supposed to bring about a golden age of humanity.

Imagine freedom from disease and injury, repair of DNA and cells ravaged by age, enhancing human attributes. Nothing short of immortality was promised by advocates of the Nanite Revolution.

So what happened? How is it that humans in 818 A.S arent much different to what they are now in 2010 A.D?
Well, every revolution has a counter-revolution, and every new dawn casts a shadow.

Just as the advent of computers saw the rise of computer viruses, just as the use of antibiotics saw the evolution of resistant microbes - so the nanite revolution saw the emergence of potentially dangerous nanobots.

From errant machines to maliciously created tools of destruction - the centuries since the introduction of nanotech have seen an arms race between beneficial and harmful nanobots among the human population.

What is the net result of this? ZERO! All the potentially good effects of nanobots is effectively cancelled by the harmful ones. Instead of people dying of cancer they might well die of a hostile nanite infestation. Resources spent by lawful governments on perfecting nanotech are spent instead on countering new non-threats emerging from malicious individuals and organisations.

Just a little something to think about...
Has someone been watching a little too much Stargate SG1?:P

Its amazing how much humanity has created to benefit mankind (and womankind!) and yet those same creations are harming us.

[yoda] Opened our eyes, you have. [/yoda]
For the most part, I'm likin' the way you're thinkin'

I whole heartedly agree that in an age of widespread consumer market nanotech, there will be a junkbucket buttload of cons that would co-exist with all the junkbucket buttload of pros.

However, you have to ask yourself: in this day and age, do hassles created by the existence of computer viruses cancel out the overall benefits of network computing?

Do constantly mutating viruses cancel out the overall benefits of modern medicine?

Frankly, you'd be fool to say yes.

I've no clue how you would RP your idea on the server with total clarity, but if you do it in tandem with some well thought out forum RP, I'd get into reading it personally.
Transhumanism, dude. Join us, we have non-cannon foundations.

We need more nanotechnology-centric roleplay. All they do is repair our ships most of the time.

Oh. And, in some of those 'destroy item x' missions, your target will be hostile nanites.
*goes off to make a Nanobot repairman character*
You're pretty right, Freelancer itself doesn't utilize nano bots in anyway.

You know those things that repair your ship ? They're a lie, those aren't nano bots, 50-60 nanobots to repair internal systems THAT fast ? Yeah right.

They should be called Repair Bots imo...

But yeah, I always get excited with future nanobot technology, and, Pilgrim kinda linked me to that new Deus Ex game that'll be coming out I think. So yeah. However, it's too bad Freelancer doesn't have the capability to actually effectively implant nanobots ingame, since...it's a space-simulation. I mean. Stuff like that could only exist on our forums.

*cough* Some shameless advertising *cough cough* VE| does all this cool stuff with nanobots in RP *cough*
' Wrote:*cough* Some shameless advertising *cough cough* VE| does all this cool stuff with nanobots in RP *cough*

And have been for two years or so *shrugs*

And is based upon Transhumanism, and has been sort of since it was created. -coughs-
Nanobots; their helpful abilities is only eclipsed by their destructive capabilities. Yes, they can keep us going; repair things on the molecular level. However, if they can repair, they can destroy.

Nanites are in game as a mission to destroy them. They're there; they probably has a Sirius wide ban on most medical applications, there must have been a few setbacks in the past that forced public opinion of them to shatter, other than to repair hulls.

How can you keep an eye on something you can't see, or keep track of easily? There could be millions in a hand.
' Wrote:But yeah, I always get excited with future nanobot technology, and, Pilgrim kinda linked me to that new Deus Ex game that'll be coming out I think.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution does not feature nanotech; the other two do however.
Ye ye..

but, that kinda technology is Deus Ex, I doubt that just appears on it's own, it must have some nanite tech under it, to have those implants