Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Need an overview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey there,

I've started looking a little into Freelancer Modding and I'm quite overwhelmed by the tons of different tools that are available. :wacko:

Is there some kind of list as to which tool is used for what purpose, respectively to edit which files? If possible a current one, that doesn't list outdated tools or tools which have long since been replaced with better ones.

If there isn't one - any chance some more experienced modders could help me set one up? I'd like to use it for reference myself and I'm sure that it would also help many other ongoing Freelancer modders!:)

Sorry in case I've overlooked something obvious but I've searched through a lot of different sites and guides and have yet to find anything like that.
i wont provide with the links, because it'll take a while to find it myself first and upload it, time i aint got, but..

1. UTF editor.
2. Milkshape (i use 1.8.2)
3. CMP importer/exporter, SUR importer/exporter, MAT exporter plugins for milkshape.
4. 3DS Max/Maya/Lightwave/Metaq/whatever you use to make your models + texture them
5. Vanilla textures in .DDS and .TGA format (i have most of them extracted and uploaded in the texturing tutorial for 3ds max in this subforum, search for it)
6. notepad++, because notepad sucks balls.

on a side note, if you have skype, you could add me. mine's Gurjiv i think.

1. UTF Editor - I think I have it. Which would be the current version? And what is it used for? I think I've heard it in connection with sound files? (I guess that means it's got nothing to do with encodings like UTF-8:D)

2. I've got a 1.8.4 Version here which refuses to correctly import some models using the CMP Importer. I think I've also got a 1.7.0 Version lying around though.

3. Okay, those are all things to do with models. But which file format is for what? As far as I know, CMP is the common model file in Freelancer, used for bases, ships, debris, characters (?), correct?
SURs are IIRC the hitboxes? Meaning, the models which freelancer uses to calculate collisions and uses for detecting whether something generally hits something - like a bullet or a missile. Is that correct?
MATs I can't tell atm. Sounds like something relating to materials to me. Maybe the file format used to store material informations which are then applied to models? I'm really unsure about those.
Here again - which would be the current versions (if there are any) of those im- and exporters?

4. Yeah, that should not be the main problem. Though: What would be the best file format to swap models between different programs, for example 3DsMax and Milkshape? (That file format would have to include the texture coordinates as I think I'll manage texturing best not in Milkshape.)

5. I think I have those already. I downloaded quite a lot of stuff from everywhere I could find it. I'll check your tutorial, thanks!
So which is the file format of textures that should be used in Freelancer? I remember reading that originally, TGA was used, but that DDS should be used. Is that correct?

6. I'll probably use WVWDEE for that (Windows Visual Web Developer Express Edition). I usually use it for that kind of stuff.
Any chance for some more help here, please?:)
Download this.

That package contains everything you will ever need.

I have that form a long time ago, but i never peeked in it yet. :D
' Wrote:
Download this.

That package contains everything you will ever need.

I have that form a long time ago, but i never peeked in it yet. :D

You're missing the problem. I have the tools, in fact, I've got several gigabytes of tools, tutorials and other stuff. What I don't have is an overview over what is used for what and that's why I'm posting these questions.;)
' Wrote:You're missing the problem. I have the tools, in fact, I've got several gigabytes of tools, tutorials and other stuff. What I don't have is an overview over what is used for what and that's why I'm posting these questions.;)

Modeling - 3D Max, Maya (those are the best for it as far as i know)

Texturing : Milkshape

Wireframes : UTF Editor - Tutor

Thats all i know for now.

Milkshape for texturing?
I'm strongly against it. Use 3ds Max.
Regarding 3dsMax/Milkshape conversion, it's explained in Frozen's tutorial. I believe it has a plugin used for exporting included.

http://the-starport.net/
The Starport may answer all your questions, if you give it a look. It's good to start modding in a particular field, and not dive into everything all at once.
I know the starport and a bunch of other FL modding sites. The questions I need answers for (as I didn't find them on those sites) are these:

' Wrote:1. UTF Editor - I think I have it. Which would be the current version? And what is it used for? I think I've heard it in connection with sound files? (I guess that means it's got nothing to do with encodings like UTF-8:D)

2. I've got a 1.8.4 Version here which refuses to correctly import some models using the CMP Importer. I think I've also got a 1.7.0 Version lying around though.

3. Okay, those are all things to do with models. But which file format is for what? As far as I know, CMP is the common model file in Freelancer, used for bases, ships, debris, characters (?), correct?
SURs are IIRC the hitboxes? Meaning, the models which freelancer uses to calculate collisions and uses for detecting whether something generally hits something - like a bullet or a missile. Is that correct?
MATs I can't tell atm. Sounds like something relating to materials to me. Maybe the file format used to store material informations which are then applied to models? I'm really unsure about those.
Here again - which would be the current versions (if there are any) of those im- and exporters?

4. Yeah, that should not be the main problem. Though: What would be the best file format to swap models between different programs, for example 3DsMax and Milkshape? (That file format would have to include the texture coordinates as I think I'll manage texturing best not in Milkshape.)

5. I think I have those already. I downloaded quite a lot of stuff from everywhere I could find it. I'll check your tutorial, thanks!
So which is the file format of textures that should be used in Freelancer? I remember reading that originally, TGA was used, but that DDS should be used. Is that correct?

6. I'll probably use WVWDEE for that (Windows Visual Web Developer Express Edition). I usually use it for that kind of stuff.
Pages: 1 2