Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Question about the Outcast Church
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The description of planet Malta says it still has a reasonable catholic following. Now my question is: who is their pope?
Wikipedia says that some other churches like the Eastern Orthodox one also see themseves as catholic, but as the people from the Hispania mainly came from Spain and Italy, it seems more likely they are Roman Catholics.

So who leads the Outcast Church? Why don't we ever see him/her/it/them/other anywhere? We don't know (or I didn't find any information about) if they have antipopes, how much power the Church has, if they try excommunicating people, if there even is a Church in the way we know it... To me at least, it seems like a pretty weird for us to know so little about what is ultimately an important part of the lives of many outcasts.

I understand it if the devs might not like to have potential flame wars coming from a topic as violate as religion, but I think it would give some pretty good story oppurtunities.

Note: this is only about the Catholic religion in the game only.
No one really cares. I can't imagine an Outcast pope, so I'd say they are Catholic without one.

This is about 1000 years in the future, so I'd say they're just looser Catholics.

I don't think it was thought about enough, not that many of the Outcasts are Catholic anyway.
Although there are good opportunities for RP about the Nomad worship and the VE, I think it would devolve to a flame war. In fact, I KNOW it would. There are a TON of people on here who cant seperate RP from RL. Best to leave that one alone. Good thinking though.
' Wrote:Although there are good opportunities for RP about the Nomad worship

What Nomad Worship? It's not Worship... it's a deep respect for the Nomads.

Worship would mean the Outcasts actually see them as gods, which they don't.
Don't over complicate things. It's a space game based a thousand years into the future. I doubt Catholics are still around, perhaps a small cult. But a pope? You'd just be a dude with a funny hat and in a dress.

The Nomads aren't a real religion either. They don't make blood sacrifices to the nom-gods, it's just a deep respect for the alien race "guarding over their dead". They don't really do that, their dead just happen to be around the jump hole leading to their worlds. The Outcasts are beseiged by enemies from all sides, having the nomads shoot at them isn't going to help much either.

[/really short way of explaining]
A pope....hmm. Now that....that could be interesting. Not sure if disco needs ignorant religious extremists however.

...elect Richard van Pelt, for Pope of Sirius!
Darn yer words brother, thou question His ambassadors Power and Will? Lest you people know that the True and Holy pope is Papa Innocentius Vicesimus Tertius (Innocent XXIII.). Noone did dare to question his authority in the last few decades.

Some lucky believers even saw his personal ship, the Benedictus when he was on a pilgrimage in 812AS.
[Image: sarissacathedral_small.png]
' Wrote:Don't over complicate things. It's a space game based a thousand years into the future. I doubt Catholics are still around, perhaps a small cult.

The description of planet Malta says that it "still has a reasonable Catholic following". Then again, it might be completely difrent from what we know as Catholicism. Their version of a sermon could be a bunch of priests doing the flamenco on the corpse of a Corsair for al we know.
If there is a Space Pope, is there also a Space Ayatollah?
The community tends to play down the catholic symbolism in the Outcasts.

Not for a lack of wanting to RP it but for the sake of the community.
Religious topics always have devolved into very angry arguments here.
Put it ingame and it's a disaster waiting to happen.

So aye, don't count on it ever being a large factor in the mod.
Pages: 1 2