Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Contact role play
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Only recently I've joined the [LN] faction.

Got to think back on all my hostile encounters I've made this last week. It's not the first time I'm having to deal with the unlawful's, took a break from actively cleaning Liberties mess up.
Now that I'm back for the hunt a question raised in my head, instead of asking the [LN]'s opinion I rather have both sides (lawful and unlawful) sharing their thoughts.

Here's the deal;

Lately I've come into contact with regular unlawful players. They showed up as either Xenos, Rogue, Hacker or Outcast. All with all, their known hostiles.
However, many of these contacts turn into big useless discussions. Yes, it's role play, but is it correct?
There's two ways I can handle a contact with a unlawful.

1) I spot the unlawful and make him aware that he's a enemy of the state and shall be shot on sight. Mainly a short engagement notice without any discussion or talk before that what so ever.

2) I approach the unlawful and start asking questions about his presence there. 90% of these conversations turn into a discussion leading into a fight at the end.

Both options have their pros and cons.
The first option will not make it possible to role-play between lawful and unlawful. But it would make encounters a lot realistic. Plus, unlawful forces who sit to close to lawful bases/planets will be dealt with in short notice. (Example: Pirate comes to Fort Bush, lawful spots and alerts (''Defend the base at all cost!'') and the pirate gets shot at.) This might force unlawful forces back to the old fashion way of pirating, which is hacking the trade lanes.
The second option will in fact include a lot of role-play between lawful and unlawful forces. However, most of these conversations turn out to be useless in the first place. Headache raising discussions about whether this Rogue (just a example) is innocent as he claims or is guilty as charged shall be top of the day for both parties.

Both options usually have the same outcome, it turns into a fight. I'm not saying it shouldn't turn out like that, but I'm curious what way you think is best to take. Should us lawful engage all known hostiles on sight, or should we start a conversation first?

Don't vote for your own benefit, think for both sides
What benefit does shooting on sight have? It's not exactly realistic either.

If you see a wanted criminal on the street, do you go ZOMG YOU'RE WANTED *bang bang bang*?
The Xenos aren't guilty. You ain't got nothing on us.
Mind adding the third option of "RP and then ignore"? Pirates should be dealt with by the LPI. Yes, of course when the 2 tridents, 3 barghests and 5 sabres outgun the little light and heavy fighters...you boys should be called in. But before that? It ain't your job.

My 2 cents worth
Opposing parties roleplay encounters don't necessarily turn out to be a fight everytime just because most players enjoy PVP and do tend to RP their way to one. I've known many occasions where a criminal is fined for his/her offences and allowed to leave the system without any pew pew.

I'm in favour of always talk first, where's the fun in interacting with the other player with guns when you can reach a far more impressive peaceful solution?
If I see a Liberty Rogue traveling through the New York system I don't really do anything. Either I just casually follow him to see if I can catch him red-handed breaking the law or I just move along. But then again, if it's a Gunboat or a vessel classified as a "war-ship" I tend to ask a few questions, but again, nothing big. No fines and no engagement unless the other side decides to shoot me for the heck of it.

Most of the times when I do try to put a fine for example if I find a pilot sitting next to a disabled trade-lane (against the law), they usually have too much of an ego to pay that fine and be on their merry way. No, almost 99% of the time they want to fight. Out of my twenty recent "you have been fined" scenarios, one person was willing to pay me. The rest went basically "I REFUSE TO BEND OVER FOR THE LAW, I'M A SUPER AWESOME CRIMINAL LOOK AT ME." And thus the fight begins....

Snoozzzer, in Role-Play the Liberty Navy are supposed to primarily deal with the war against Rheinland, and secondary deal with larger threats inside Liberty. But if the LPI ain't online during the time I'm, and a trader calls for my assistance, or if I spot piracy, I'm sure as hell going to do something about it.
asd
' Wrote:The Xenos aren't guilty. You ain't got nothing on us.

Aren't the Xenos a -known- terrorist organization?
Do we charge each individual terrorist of his crimes?

' Wrote:Agreed.
It's like this, what would be the point of no talking, just pew pewing. it'd be like playing CoD only in space.
But to a realistic note. You ever watch that show "Cops" How many times have you seen the cops talking to the "criminal" over the cops just going oh lord he's a criminals!1!!!!111!!

Almost all the interactions i have seen are peacful with the cops talking and the criminal pleading/explaining.

however, if talks fail,. pew pew pew:P

my two cents worth

Yes I have to agree, engaging criminals on sight wouldn't make much sense indeed.

So that brings me to our second issue.
If LPI is not around and Navy is backing up for them it will mean we need something to charge them on, otherwise they are to be ignored no matter the affiliation. (as thats what the outcome of the vote above has given us)

I shall now quote liberty laws I will have issues with, taken from the wiki page. (tried searching here but no joy)

Quote:''Vessels carrying any kind of nomadic equipment are to be considered infested and shot on sight.''
This law forces us to use the opposite of what we voted for, do we have to engage them on sight like the law says or do we have to talk it through first?

Quote:''The following ships series, regardless who is flying them, are banned from Liberty:
Rheinland Military Vessels
Outcast Vessels
Corsairs Vessels
Rogue Vessels
Lane Hacker Vessels
Order Vessels
Nomad Vessels
Huntress Cruiser
Talarca Cruiser
Entering Liberty space with those ships is illegal and the offender will have one chance to leave, or be destroyed.
So we should just shoo them each time we see any of the ships above? Thats not really matching the picture you guys mentioned above is it?

Quote:Piracy; Defined as the unlawful coercion of the owner or owners of a vehicle or vehicles to render their resources towards the offender. Most commonly applied to vessels attempting to impose taxation upon traders.
Penalty is death.
This doesn't mention pirates sitting next to a disrupted lane to be a crime, and if we catch somebody pirating we can't charge them other then his own death, also going against the picture made above.

Perhaps I'm looking at out-dated information, if so could somebody give me a up-to-date list of liberty's law?
useless poll

If people want to rp before pew pew - they rp. If they want just to pew pew they pew pew. In Liberty the second is the more common.
useless thread... its a roleplay server.. how can roleplay evolve if we just do the same thing day in day out?
only by having those 'long conversations' can we expose what the other side really wants/thinks. just pew-pewing after the minimum amt of rp is not what this game is about