Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: The Firefly!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Wow, the Firefly was actually included! I ended up watching the serise back-to-back last week. First time I watched it and instantly loved it. I've seen the film Serenity as well so I have a fairly decent knowledge of the ship and it's long and illustrious background. I havn't acutualy seen it yet so can someone post a screenshot? (I cant get online for a while, but REALLY want to see it) As soon as I downloaded the beta 4, I immediatly opened the readme, and checked the Firefly's stats. Something worried me.

In the TV serise, there are NO weapons on the ship, so it is used primarily as a transport/smuggling craft. In the film it had a single anti-aircraft turret mounted on the prow of the ship (which is used to piss off Reavers.) I noticed on the readme it had eight turrets. Couldnt it be made truer to it's roots by removing all the turrets bar one, but increase it's already large cargo hold? (like on the Wale.) This would make it seem more realistic to the story built up by the Firefly serise. I was thinking of buying a Firefly, naming it the Serenity and equipting a smuggler ID. It would proberly be fairly good RP wise, but it's just the turrets.
Sorry if I wasted your time, but it's just a little voice in the back of my head that wouldn't have left me alone unless I posted this:D
Well, it's not supposed to have the same story as the ship from the show and movie.
I know a lot of people don't enjoy having references to other Sci-Fi universes on here, but I think the firefly was put in b/c others just couldn't resist the urge to be Mal Reynolds. But if you really wanted to RP the Serenity, mount only one turret on there and leave the rest empty.
Here you will have a screenshot, fresh from the Camebridge shipyard and equipped with transport turrets:

Firefly

If you want only one turret, no one will stop you to mount just one, just as Griz has mentioned.

AoM
I'm likewise a fan. Josh Whedon did an excellent job of presenting a gritty, rather dark, backwater view of our spacefaring future. And, in its own way, it does have a rather Starlancer/Freelancerish motif. Captain Mal and his XO are both veterans of a lost war.. between "Coalition" and "Alliance" forces, I believe. So, stretch a bit and it fits into our universe without much suspension of disbelief.

Now, one of the TAZ has a prob.. and we're not sure if it's clientside or serverside. I helped our fellow pick up his Firefly today, and the thing appeared to me to be only half-skinned. The forward section, engine nacelles and that "skid thingie" on the aft section appeared normal, but the midship section and tail was completely silver.. no texture.

Can anyone else verify this problem, or do I need my prescription changed yet again?

Mal.. (not Reynolds)
@ Mal: My first models had some graphic glitches too. Not on my machine, but on Igiss one and some others with a different video card, to what i have.
The problem you have posted is not the same, but depends to video card type and version and the card drivers too. This i have learned and as you have seen on the screenshot, i have no glitches.
I have a Geforce 6800 GT and the newest driver available.

AoM
Yeah, Firefly is one of the best new Sci-Fi series we've had for a long time. Gotta love the more roughened feel of the universe...

I have that glitch too...Most of the Battlestars I fight are more air than hull. They still explode nicely:lol:The Firefly is a pretty ship, I may just have to buy myself one...
Well here's a few screens of my Firefly. I've also included the info cards for the Firefly and the Smuggler ID. I too am a fan of the series and the movie. I was a bit disappointed this series was canceled so early ... and the movie kinda finalized it. Great thing about the storyline is that its a cross between a western and sci-fi. Lots of adventure.

[attachmentid=3688][attachmentid=3689]

[attachmentid=3690][attachmentid=3691]

[attachmentid=3692][attachmentid=3693]
it should have had the spinning tail when cruising. in the show the thrusters are only used for atmospheric flight while it uses that "glowing" thingy engine when it goes into space.
Is it upon me or why are the most screenshots so dark?
I overwork the shots i made to get them brighter.

AoM
Pages: 1 2