Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Do Corsairs have a religion?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I'm genuinely curious, do they have a religion? I mean, something was needed to keep their hopes alive in the early years right? Are Spaniards are mainly Catholics? I'm very unsure there.

So, religion and Corsairs... Is it viable or not there at all?

I'm thinking of making a religious character in the Corsairs, to let me experience them for the first time. I've never been a cannibal (aside from Fallout 3)
no idea, id imagine Catholic if they kept true with the majority of the hispanic history. id imagine the Outcasts would be the same if it were not for them meeting the nomads.
Aye I can see the Outcasts revering them as Gods or spirits somewhat for a few reasons.

Though the Corsairs didn't have time with our lovely fuzzy friends, therefore my curiosity.
Yes, we worship the One True God, Espi.

[Image: ESPi%20wTag_RGB.jpg]

Edit: The Black Sails at least
' Wrote:no idea, id imagine Catholic if they kept true with the majority of the hispanic history. id imagine the Outcasts would be the same if it were not for them meeting the nomads.

The Hispania seems to have carried most denizens of the Mediterranean, not just Spain; Corsair and Outcast naming schemes (Malta, Crete, Centurion, etc) are actually much more Italian. The pilot names are very Spanish, but the Outcasts are otherwise patterned off of city-states Renaissance Italy (even down to the Stiletto, Sabre, etc), and the Corsairs off of Imperial Rome (Centurion, Legionnaire). There's also some degree of combination in the weapon names; Tizona and Colada are the legendary swords of El Cid, a Spanish hero of the Reconquista, while names like "Pyros" or "Dragoon" are Italian in origin. (Well, more Italian. "y" is not a natural Spanish letter, its pronounced name literally translates to "and the Greek one".) Angelito could swing either way, but Salamanca is very Spanish. Wyrm and Kraken don't really fit either of them.

Despite the Roman touch and other influences, I still say Catholic; just because the Corsairs name things after Roman stuff doesn't mean they aren't still descended from the extremely Catholic Spanish and Italians. (This is actually the same approach taken by the Broken Bonds mod; <strike>Lucania</strike> Space Rome is Catholic.) They might not be militantly Catholic nor particularly religious; for a people who spend their lives stealing and murdering for their food, having been given a really nasty spot of bad luck (the wrath of God, some might say), they probably have an extremely weird take on Catholicism if they practice at all. Not to mention how much religion and culture mutate across eight centuries; praying to God seems a lot more practical when you have to worry about A) wolves, B) Vikings, and C) the Feudal System all trying to kill you, and with Crete's food problems such serious religion may have returned in a weird sort of way.

I do so love the idea of religion in Freelancer, though. If you're making more than just a character, do give me a poke.

EDIT: I didn't really address Outcast religion as much as I meant to. They're still Catholic, by some measuring seeing themselves as the chosen servants of God to bring order upon the "lesser humans" due to the effects of cardamine. They treat the Nomads more like angels, servants of the divine, than anything else; and if you read old Hebrew texts, angels were more like eldritch abominations than super-sexy humanoids... there's a reason they always open with "Fear not!" ya know (not that this appears to have stopped them from procreating with humans, if you read the divine banter that starts the Book of Job). The Outcasts-Nomads relationship is more akin to the relationship between crusaders and their chaplains than it is to the relationship between worshipers and their deities.
Hmm...thats a good question.

What religion in Sirius is close to rastafarian? Because they have a serious cultural addiction.
Who cares? No, really, who cares what religion they are?

It's a bloody video game. Stop over-analyzing it and have fun.
' Wrote:Who cares? No, really, who cares what religion they are?

It's a bloody video game. Stop over-analyzing it and have fun.
True, but I'm curious anyway, and would like to play as a Corsair without relying too much on my medicore PvP skills.
What does religion have to do with that?
Aren't you like a battleship god Fletcher?

And in response to state that overanalyzation, often spawns creative roleplay, interesting discussions, and other things like brain hemorraging, and constipation on this server.
Pages: 1 2 3 4