Discovery Gaming Community

Full Version: Basic Respect
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I want to make a quick note here about something that happened on the forums recently. There was an incident with a thread I made ( http://discoverygc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82611 ) involving encryption business. The thread was appended with OORP comments. Although I would have appreciated if someone would have made a separate thread in another forum section, that's not what bothered me.

What bothered me is that after the thread turned into a normal discussion about forum rules, it degraded into some people posting 3 pages worth of spam material. After I, the creator of the thread which had already been hijacked, told the said members to "please stop spamming," I was replied with hateful remarks.

I don't understand the problem.
I didn't insult anyone. I asked politely. I didn't spit in anyone's face.

My questions to people here:
What do people think of this kind of behavior? Are you okay with it? Is it the Discovery forum norm to permit this as an "okay" thing?

I am curious - because I have seen behavior like this everywhere on this forum.

P.S. This is not a forum member trial.
I do believe that thread went OORP and off topic so badly because forum members know that they can do this and not suffer any repercussions. If there were punishments for going OORP or posting off topic nonsense I assure you that this behavior would drop off very quickly.

Example: Post OORP in RP forums? 7 day loss of posting rights. Go off topic/flame/troll? 7 day loss of posting rights.

It seems right now (Mods please correct me if I'm wrong.) that only the worst offenders, or those who have complaints against them get warned and/or punished. You can't rely on a self-policing/reporting policy to keep this many lulzy people in line. Heck, I'm not sure you'd even want to! But when it reaches the point where many of the threads are filled with +1'ing, trolling, off topic... Something needs to be done.

Edit: More moderators needed as well.

Edit: I didn't answer your main question. I'm not okay with this kind of behavior outside of flood.
No, that behavior is far from okay. If there are any posts you think are especially bad, please post in the Rule Violation section of the forums (that section is for forum reports as well as server). I also will be going through the mentioned thread to look at it all myself, and repeat offenders are very much in danger of repercussions. Especially those who are present in the recent RP Factions thread that got spammed.

A pinned thread is about to be posted regarding these kinds of situations.
The problem is, to be blunt, that a large portion of this community either is, or decides to act, immaturely. The wish to assert dominance over others, or quite frankly, to cause another grief in various ways, instead of playing together respectfully, seems to rapidly become the norm. There's really not much to be done against it, the trend has gained momentum now. Folk who don't find this behaviour fun, leave in search of more respectful roleplay communities.
No, insults are not ok - RP or or not - since all are in English, it doesn't make a difference.

Exempli gratia: Does it sound okay if I call you a good for nothing, imecyle flower piece of OUTCAST scum?

The only thing making it fakely RP is "Outcast"

Therefore just don't do it. Firstly because of 'sticks n' stones" secondly because the addressed one might not share your sense of humour.
His problem is that no one listened to him when he said "stop spamming", mainly because, well, I don't have to listen to you (mainly because when I see that you want to have a discussion in a RP section, and after that you tell everyone to stop spamming, I see you don't know what you're talking about).

And as for these so called "insults", I said "You been drinkin' bro?", and now this thread arises just because he was in so much rage because no one listened to him, he now resorts to calling out other people for insulting him:lol:Learn not to cut your wrists when internet people don't listen to you.

<strike>You been drinkin' bro?</strike> You alright bro?
Smokey, you suck.

I have no respect fot you, since you have none for others just because its the internet.

// Am I doing it right, smokey?
Oh nooo, what shall I do now??? I know I will go cry and cut my wrist.

Yes you are doing it right.
Kewl.

Go bleed.

Now I feel better.
' Wrote:Now I feel better.
Exactly...
Pages: 1 2